Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Seems like they just wished to use the back-ups to give people the idea of what the John series would be like. But of course it could give the impression that John Stewart is again treated as the back-up to Hal Jordan. While that doesn't seem to have been their intention, it can certainly come off as another case of DC not reading the room again.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-25-2023 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Makes sense to springboard one GL book off the other, particularly given the premise of Hal's book would no doubt impact John's story.

I'm not familiar with the artist? Anyone know his stuff? The Google search I did on him looked solid
    Even though John's story is a backup story, I'm glad that it's PKJ writing John and not Hal's writer. So that's good to hear.

I'm not familiar with that artist, either.

I really hope John gets a really good artist. Sampere would be a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Seems like they just wished to use the back-ups to give people the idea of what the John series would be like. But of course it could give the impression that John Stewart is again treated as the back-up to Hal Jordan. While that doesn't seem to have been their intention, it can certainly come off as another case of DC not reading the room again.
    I think the word backup itself doesn't sound right when it's used with John, since he was looked upon as a backup character and treated like one in the past. So I can see it can give some negative reactions. But that's certainly not DC's intention, unless John wasn't getting his own series and not having a backup story where he was just popped here and there like in Johns' run. John Stewart came a long ways.

There's a lot looking forward to with John Stewart. He's going to be the league's lantern in the Tomorrow Verse, another possible solo animated film, featured in multiple video games, have his own comic series, and being the main star in Green Lantern Corps HBO Max series. What more can a John Stewart fan ask for!!?

If this is Montos I like his art:

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If this is Montos I like his art:

I think that is his art. His art looks pretty good. His art has nice space scenes, which looks really good. I'm looking forward to seeing more of his art when John's backup story debuts.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah you all jumped the gun about the John Stewart series. It is spinning out as planned courtesy of PKJ

https://mobile.twitter.com/PhillipKJ...05389086511104
    Very glad to see that , cause not buying that book

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It generally doesn't.

I have heard that before and it didn't end well as the last two GL runs were. Since so many can't stand the existence of one or the other.

It was everybody's job to support one but it was okay to NOT support Redjack's because of who the leads were.

I rather Hal's back up be about HAL and maybe show a slice of life of his growing up in Coastal City and maybe early day as a lantern.

Same with John. He does have a family that we have not seen in near 30 years. Heck use that other John we say in the last run who is looking for his wife.

Since some find both or one or the other dull and boring. Use that backup slot as an additional series for both versus putting someone in there that doesn't need to be there.
    This……..,

I thought one of the reasons why John's story is going to be a backup because it can potentially help build John's series for fan support. So having John as the backup story doesn't benefit his series at all?

Also, regarding haven't seen John's family, PKJ touched upon that, where we're going to see more of his family in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I thought one of the reasons why John's story is going to be a backup because it can potentially help build John's series for fan support. So having John as the backup story doesn't benefit his series at all?

Also, regarding haven't seen John's family, PKJ touched upon that, where we're going to see more of his family in the series.
    Yeah I say if you want an idea of how PKJ will write John, then check out his Dark Crisis issue.

Only question now is will PKJ keep the Emerald Knight powers?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah I say if you want an idea of how PKJ will write John, then check out his Dark Crisis issue.

Only question now is will PKJ keep the Emerald Knight powers?
    His writing on John in that one-shot was amazing. It was an excellent one-shot issue with John. I can also see that PKJ has grown more passion with the character.

John's ascended powers are part of him. I can't see them being taken away at this point.

His writing on John in that one-shot was amazing. It was an excellent one-shot issue with John. I can also see that PKJ has grown more passion with the character.

John's ascended powers are part of him. I can't see them being taken away at this point.
    It was a solid issue, he'll do John good.

I wouldn't read too much into it. It could be a case where PKJ wants some time to change some things from the previous writer, so he can set things up for the main title, or as simple as the creative requiring a bit more time before the new run is released.

I actually think it's a positive that there is a back up in the Hal book, because it means that they might have recurring Green Lanterns showing up (Kyle, Jessica, Guy) . They may have a back up in John's series as well.

BANNED

I read the Dark Crisis issue, and I'll say that it's literally the first time I've enjoyed reading John in years. Haven't felt this way since Van Jensen wrote his solo or Robert Venditti wrote him on teams. Makes sense though, since Jensen noted and handled the builder/destroyer dichotomy just as well. Finally nice to see his family again and to get actual character work, rather than yet another form of fandom oneupsmanship masquerading as storytelling. If PKJ is going to be diving into who John is as a person and celebrating that, count me in. The powers in a superhero story are just flash to draw you in; the character work is the substance--and we're getting that again. I don't care about changing John so that he can rearrange universe, which I find boring. Or changing him so that the work-for-hire guy can get some royalties in a possible adaptation. What get's me reading is seeing him live up to his values despite the challenges he faces. Definitely the guy who plants his feet when the going gets tough. Glad to see quality storytelling again, since that's how fandoms are built.

My only problem with the Jensen solo is that crossovers made it hard to give someone new/unfamiliar a self-contained character piece, like Batman: Year One or one of the Superman/Wonder Woman/Flash trades. Hopefully PKJ can generate the book that I want to be able to share with folks who are curious about this Green Lantern from cartoons or video games.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other if PKJ read the Van Jensen stories or if he just independently came to the same perspective. I think he did read Jensen though, since he also seems to have done research and read about John's sister's fate under another writer. The marine background isn't going anywhere due to the other John Stewart adaptations, but I'm glad it's being pointed out that this is only one, very limited and limiting facet of his character. I like that the architect side of him is being handled this way again, instead of forgotten like in some recent adaptations.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-30-2023 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    It was a solid issue, he'll do John good.

I wouldn't read too much into it. It could be a case where PKJ wants some time to change some things from the previous writer, so he can set things up for the main title, or as simple as the creative requiring a bit more time before the new run is released.

I actually think it's a positive that there is a back up in the Hal book, because it means that they might have recurring Green Lanterns showing up (Kyle, Jessica, Guy) . They may have a back up in John's series as well.
    That makes sense. I agree 100%.

Yeah that one-shot issue was definitely solid.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I read the Dark Crisis issue, and I'll say that it's literally the first time I've enjoyed reading John in years. Haven't felt this way since Van Jensen wrote his solo or Robert Venditti wrote him on teams. Makes sense though, since Jensen noted and handled the builder/destroyer dichotomy just as well. Finally nice to see his family again and to get actual character work, rather than yet another form of fandom oneupsmanship masquerading as storytelling. If PKJ is going to be diving into who John is as a person and celebrating that, count me in. The powers in a superhero story are just flash to draw you in; the character work is the substance--and we're getting that again. I don't care about changing John so that he can rearrange universe, which I find boring. Or changing him so that the work-for-hire guy can get some royalties in a possible adaptation. What get's me reading is seeing him live up to his values despite the challenges he faces. Definitely the guy who plants his feet when the going gets tough. Glad to see quality storytelling again, since that's how fandoms are built.

My only problem with the Jensen solo is that crossovers made it hard to give someone new/unfamiliar a self-contained character piece, like Batman: Year One or one of the Superman/Wonder Woman/Flash trades. Hopefully PKJ can generate the book that I want to be able to share with folks who are curious about this Green Lantern from cartoons or video games.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other if PKJ read the Van Jensen stories or if he just independently came to the same perspective. I think he did read Jensen though, since he also seems to have done research and read about John's sister's fate under another writer. The marine background isn't going anywhere due to the other John Stewart adaptations, but I'm glad it's being pointed out that this is only one, very limited and limiting facet of his character. I like that the architect side of him is being handled this way again, instead of forgotten like in some recent adaptations.

You put it really well. I feel like John hasn't had an actual personality in a long time and I'm way more interested in him as a person than making him into some godlike being. His humanity and desire to make a difference in the real world and in his community are what I always found most interesting and likable about him.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Going by his work on Superman, PKJ also comes across as a writer more willing to respect and use the contributions of the writers before him

So it should be interesting if he's looking over the stuff from the last run and thinking of how it can be added to his own plans for John

And his Dark Crisis issue does show he's willing to handle both the cosmic larger than life adventures while at the same time bringing back John's Earth family