Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Punisher Appreciation 2023

punisherheroimage.jpg

Here is to a great year for Frank Castle.

I am enjoying the current book and looking forward to a battle between Punisher and Daredevil and the Hand vs the Fist.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Hoping 2023 will be AWESOME for The Punisher

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-01-2023 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Happy New Year to Frank and his fans .

Astonishing Member

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

To this day, The Punisher remains one of the most interesting and most subversive thus one of my favorite comic book "superheroes" (very loosely defined). This very 70s character that's also like a perpetual 1938-1940ish character.

The idea of The Punisher is something I find fascinating. To see things so clearly and defined. To think that the solution world’s ills can be solved so simply, and in that way only, and to give up your whole life to do it. A real life Frank Castle like Bernherd Goetz would be, and was the worst thing in the world. But he makes a brilliant comic book character.
    https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...-punisher/four
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-13-2023 at 01:14 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    To this day, The Punisher remains one of the most interesting and most subversive thus one of my favorite comic book "superheroes" (very loosely defined). This very 70s character that's also like a perpetual 1938-1940ish character.

Oh wow I love this. Thanks for sharing.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

Well...

WELCOME BACK FRANK!
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Well...

WELCOME BACK FRANK!
    Indeed. The Ennis run is CLASSIC & will never be surpassed (IMHO):

I wonder will the character be retired for a year or more after this maxi series concludes.

I just hope that the eventual revisiting of the character doesn't dwell on "he's just an unstable vigilante he's got to go..." narratives. That's a tired angle at this point.

Astonishing Member

Anyone read the new Punisher issue, that fight with Frank and Ares was great in concluding. and there was a little retcon that the Hand ninjas were present hiding in the trees during the fateful Castle picnic but were called off to do anything to the family, of course the Castles still ran into the mobsters that ended up killing the kids and Maria. that twist with Maria inner monologue, and well you have a small group of heroes recruited to deal with Frank consisting with Captain American, Wolverine, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Daredevil and Doctor Strange, issue ends. looks like the final quarter of this series will be the Marvel heroes dealing with Frank as Leader of the Hand.
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 01-18-2023 at 09:50 AM.

Mighty Member

So it's time for another heroes team-up to stop Frank Castle and he "loses" while simultaneously making them all look like fools by comparison arc. I don't mind this convention, in fact I love to see it, but this is starting to feel like it happens every other run. I also don't know why Moon Knight would care. I'm no Moon Knight Expert, but from the material I've read, he generally doesn't care that Punisher is out there killing criminals. He had beef with Frank over Frank killing his brother, but that fire seems to have faded significantly when Jake and Frank were down in Mexico (and IIRC his brother came back later anyway). I just don't see Moon Knight caring enough taking action. I'd say the same thing about Wolverine, but Wolverine is a moral cluter**** anyway. Morally, Wolverine is always wherever the writers need him to be.

Jason Pearson (R.I.P.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Anyone read the new Punisher issue, that fight with Frank and Ares was great in concluding. and there was a little retcon that the Hand ninjas were present hiding in the trees during the fateful Castle picnic but were called off to do anything to the family, of course the Castles still ran into the mobsters that ended up killing the kids and Maria. that twist with Maria inner monologue, and well you have a small group of heroes recruited to deal with Frank consisting with Captain American, Wolverine, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Daredevil and Doctor Strange, issue ends. looks like the final quarter of this series will be the Marvel heroes dealing with Frank as Leader of the Hand.
    I kind of like the idea of frank as the new god of war.

This is Aaron at his best, I feel like.

I still do not like what he is doing at all but it *is* excellently done.

(Seriously, though, has he *ever* written anything for marvel that's not solely dependent on massive retcons?)

Spectacular Member

I'm tempted to give this a look once it's finished. Most of the regular 616 Castle I tend to skip. I think Ennis spoiled me with his MAX run - that's definitive Punisher for me, with Aaron's own MAX continuation serving as an optional coda.