Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Out of curiosity, how does Frank have stashes and safehouses when he works alone?
    I'm not quite sure why you have a hard time imagining this. The comics have showed over the years that he's bought, rented, or just taken over various apartments, storage facilities, abandoned maintenance shacks, and warehouses. Often if it's one he frequently uses, he'll set traps in it and if he does pay it's usually by cash under a fake name.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Because in a misguided attempt at "agency" Aaron kind of turned Maria into a villain LOL. All Aaron is good for is breaking characters. He is like Marvels attempt at Tom King...except even worse.

Anyone looking forward to Uncle Ben coming back from the dead?

Uncle Ben: Peter, about the night I was shot.

Peter: I know it's my fault.

Uncle Ben: Well....this book is being written by Jason Aaron.

Peter: Aww crap...

Uncle Ben: I was about to leave the house to meet up with my long time mistress.

Peter: To break it off?

Uncle Ben: To apologize for smacking her when she threatened to go public and tell everyone about the secret family I had with her.

Peter: Sigh

Uncle Ben: That is why there was never enough money. I was supporting two families!

Peter: And let me guess. I'm related to...

Uncle Ben: You're related to the burgler! He was angry at his lot in life. The gun went off by accident he thought that I wouldn't be home but I was. The gun went off by accident. He is the real victim here Peter!

Peter: That's it I quit. Hey Miles take care of New York.

Miles: Oh. Well I'm being written by Jason Aaron as well so....

Peter: Arrrrrhhhhhh!!!!!!
    As a long time fan of comics and fiction in general, I’m getting sick and tired of idiotic “deconstructions”. We GET it, superheroes are “problematic” and make man babies uncomfortable. No one cares.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Seems wise, given a lot of what they have done with the character.
    I pretty much accept all his early stories and former canon (like Punisher Year One, 1986 series, etc) just before Marvel Knights/Max started, Welcome Back Frank even got me to accept Frank's death and resurrection, since Ennis handwaved it away so cleverly. But I count M.Knights (Ennis) Frank as the same as Punisher Max (Ennis) Frank, and those are most of his only "fanon" stories before and after Civil War. My fanon has Punisher always as a Vietnam vet. I'm mostly a DC guy, so have this Punisher fanon is a lot of easier for me to have (since I can isolate him a lot in my head from the rest of Marvel).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-12-2023 at 12:25 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I don't get the idea behind deconstructing characters. You'd think it's common sense that when you take something apart, it doesn't work anymore.
    We need more writers worrying about how to make characters the most interesting they can be, rather than ones trying to shake things up.
    Because it's interesting, it can lead to great stories and better characterization.

A better question is why is black and white story telling with noir characters better than acknowledging the morally grey world around us?

Quote Originally Posted by XanatosVanBadass View Post
    Maybe you should explain why we should bother with an article written by an uppity nobody who doesn’t even read comics and clearly has an agenda.

“OOOH RIGHT WING REACTIONARIES”! Boo hoo, you child.
    Seems pretty clear that you didn't read the article, as the writer provided some very specific examples.

As a long time fan of comics and fiction in general, I’m getting sick and tired of idiotic “deconstructions”. We GET it, superheroes are “problematic” and make man babies uncomfortable. No one cares.
    You can't call others 'man-babies' and then be unwilling to even consider a critical examination of Castle. Pot and kettle, at best

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Because it's interesting, it can lead to great stories and better characterization.
    So when do Black Panther fans get these great stories and characterization???
    We have waited 8 years.

Do I EVEN need to mention Peter Parker??

Deconstruction has been nothing but a weapon to ruin characters in the hands of writers with agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

A better question is why is black and white story telling with noir characters better than acknowledging the morally grey world around us?

Seems pretty clear that you didn't read the article, as the writer provided some very specific examples.

You can't call others 'man-babies' and then be unwilling to even consider a critical examination of Castle. Pot and kettle, at best
    Kid, I read that article awhile back. It doesn’t say anything particularly profound or original. It’s just nonsense for those who use terms like “social responsibility” unironically.

Nothing that article or anything you say is new. I’ve heard and followed all of it for likely longer than you. My point to you is, why should I give a crap about these “problems”?

Ultimate Member

Kid, I read that article awhile back. It doesn’t say anything particularly profound or original. It’s just nonsense for those who use terms like “social responsibility” unironically.

Nothing that article or anything you say is new. I’ve heard and followed all of it for likely longer than you. My point to you is, why should I give a crap about these “problems”?
    Because, frankly (no pun intended), if nothing else, Punisher stories are boring and repetitive at best.

Punisher meets puppy eater. Puppy eater explains his latest puppy grinding machine. Castle is hard man, who is hard. Kills puppy eater.

Rinse, repeat overall.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I don't read or follow much current Marvel, but I've realized that ever since Punisher Max and Ennis, The Punisher has become this rare character where I really have own my personal fanon and don't accept a lot of things done with Frank in continuity.
    I've always liked the idea that Punisher would love to just do his normal thing, but every once in a while he gets drawn into the superhero side of it and just wants to get that done and gt back to killing thugs as quickly as possible.

War Journal Entry 873: Killed a bunch of druglords today
    War Journal Entry 874: Killed two serial killers, maimed a corrupt judge
    War Journal Entry 875: Became Phoenix. Fought Galactus in Space
    War Journal Entry 876: Stopped a gang war. Killed Both gangs.
    War Journal Entry 877: Somehow I'm an Avenger now. I don't know why.

I've always liked the idea that Punisher would love to just do his normal thing, but every once in a while he gets drawn into the superhero side of it and just wants to get that done and gt back to killing thugs as quickly as possible.

War Journal Entry 873: Killed a bunch of druglords today
    War Journal Entry 874: Killed two serial killers, maimed a corrupt judge
    War Journal Entry 875: Became Phoenix. Fought Galactus in Space
    War Journal Entry 876: Stopped a gang war. Killed Both gangs.
    War Journal Entry 877: Somehow I'm an Avenger now. I don't know why.
    War Journal Entry 878: Captain America kicked my @$$ when I killed Whirlwind. Seemed surprised that was my normal M.O.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Because in a misguided attempt at "agency" Aaron kind of turned Maria into a villain LOL.
    Not liking a character does not make them a villain.

I'm not quite sure why you have a hard time imagining this. The comics have showed over the years that he's bought, rented, or just taken over various apartments, storage facilities, abandoned maintenance shacks, and warehouses. Often if it's one he frequently uses, he'll set traps in it and if he does pay it's usually by cash under a fake name.
    Yeah, but how does he afford all this when he isn't a billionaire or has an organization like SHIELD backing him?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah, but how does he afford all this when he isn't a billionaire or has an organization like SHIELD backing him?
    He takes money from the criminals he's putting down.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I've always liked the idea that Punisher would love to just do his normal thing, but every once in a while he gets drawn into the superhero side of it and just wants to get that done and get back to killing thugs as quickly as possible.
    Similarly, I love the idea that same guy that briefly was determined to kill Spider-Man & briefly associated with The Jackal & went mad briefly via The Trust is the same guy that Ennis writes in Marvel Knights and Max. Like Punisher's earlier stories were kinda sorta like his Silver Age.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-13-2023 at 11:15 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

MV5BMjI5NjcwMTQxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg5ODkwNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Rewatching this. Still love this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    He takes money from the criminals he's putting down.
    Good memory. Frank even admits it to a couple of cops while being transported to Ryker's Island