Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I was reading Aquaman Sword Of Atlantis and was struck by how the storyline is just like an RPG—it starts with Artie Joe getting powers he doesn't understand from a mysterious mentor after his 'hometown' was destroyed but his father may still be alive, he proves himself by fighting some low-level enemies that gains him an ally, he meets the former ruler of a vast kingdom who asks for his help, he challenges a rival early and nearly has a Hopeless Boss Fight before a Heroic Second Wind, and that's just the first two issues.

If only we had gotten Sword of Atlantis as a video game and not Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis.

Quote Originally Posted by lalalei2001 View Post
    I was reading Aquaman Sword Of Atlantis and was struck by how the storyline is just like an RPG—it starts with Artie Joe getting powers he doesn't understand from a mysterious mentor after his 'hometown' was destroyed but his father may still be alive, he proves himself by fighting some low-level enemies that gains him an ally, he meets the former ruler of a vast kingdom who asks for his help, he challenges a rival early and nearly has a Hopeless Boss Fight before a Heroic Second Wind, and that's just the first two issues.

If only we had gotten Sword of Atlantis as a video game and not Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis.
    A good Aquaman video game would be nice...

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A good Aquaman video game would be nice...
    I would love an open world game that features ocean and underwater exploration.

I don't think there's many games like that.

It feels weird not to know where Aquaman is and what his current situation is.

If they’re making an ongoing for him this year, looks like they’re saving it until Dec at the absolute earliest.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If they’re making an ongoing for him this year, looks like they’re saving it until Dec at the absolute earliest.
    And that's when the movie comes out too...

From solicits it looks Manta will appear in Beast World so maybe we'll get some hints there. On the other hand it is written by Brown so it will probably be another attempt to push anti-hero Black Manta.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    From solicits it looks Manta will appear in Beast World so maybe we'll get some hints there. On the other hand it is written by Brown so it will probably be another attempt to push anti-hero Black Manta.
    Because that's what Aquaman fans want .

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Because that's what Aquaman fans want
    Yup more scenes like this, ha.

Because it's cute when the little baby is affectionate with the guy who tried to murder her father multiple times...

5 years ago Aquaman was on the verge of having the Best Box Office for any DC movie, it had a comic ongoing, many believed it was the dawn of a new era for a character that for decades was unjustly ridiculed.
    5 years later, it has been 3 years since we had a regular Aquaman ongoing, DC seems not to care about the sequel that should hit theatres in the 3 months, nothing has been done to exploit the success of the movie to push the character's popularity. On the contrary at comic level everything points that they even tried to erase all the good that had been done since New52.
    After 3 years the small comic base of Aquaman readers have moved on, to bring back those readers it will be very difficult task. Unless some A List writer is enlisted to do the job, which currently I have my doubts who can do such miracle. Aquaman is back to the pre Johns days, when he was considered finished by DC. They will probably scramble a book for the movie that will be left to limp until cancelation. Just for the sake of having a book.

Instead of following what worked with Aquaman, a genius Editor at DC decided to have her way and replace Arthur as Aquaman, with a string of mini series books that achieved the unenviable record of not even listing on the sales charts. Only a genius could decide to replace a character that reached heights of popularity never experienced in 80years. The damage inflicted was such, that cancelation for The AquaMEN book was announced after the second issue. As fans realized that in the new book Arthur Curry was just a bait and would be second fiddle.

Aquaman comic never had great sales except with Johns, Jeff Parker who came in after Geoff, delivered a solid book with good sales, which DC would take anytime for an Aquaman book. That is the logical thinking. Instead they removed Parker, for Bunn, we all know how it ended. Then came Abnett he had the benefit of the Rebirth launch, but he managed to squander all that goodwill very soon, with a never ending Rath arc, failing to deliver the promise of Rebirth, ruined the Mera solo.
    Instead of following in the path of Parker and Johns who managed to devise a manner how to make the book work, due to editorial meddling and his own inclinations, Abnett led the book to a gradual decline. Then came KSD(I liked great part of her run) but some controversial choices she made led the book to cancelation.

Aquaman is a book that needs no controversial or experimental runs.
    The New52 formula worked well, it could have been improved without any need to fall back on rehashed or controversial plots, when they had so many story paths never explored that laid ahead.
    The last 5 years should be an example of what NOT to do with a comic character.

If rumours about Taylor/Manapul being next creative team are true, then I think they will bring some attention to the book. On the other hand I don't expect Taylor to deliver something similar to New 52 run so who knows how it will go over.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Looking back, what do you think of Kelly Sue DeConnick's reason for getting rid of the Atlantean monarchy?

https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/kelly...view-dc-comics
    I'm from the UK and I think it was a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    If rumours about Taylor/Manapul being next creative team are true, then I think they will bring some attention to the book. On the other hand I don't expect Taylor to deliver something similar to New 52 run so who knows how it will go over.
    With a team like that, I can see them trying to inject some of Taylor's "Nightwing Magic" into Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I'm from the UK and I think it was a great idea.
    Im from Spain, and I share the sentiment. The only good king is a dead king.