Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Aquaman/Arthur Curry Appreciation 2023

Figured we shouldn’t go a whole year without making a thread for him this time

Big year for him with Aquaman 2 on the way! I also suspect that PKJ is working on a new ongoing/mini for him that will debut in the back half of 2023.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Happy New Year to Arthur and his family !

Also seems like the clean-shaven look is coming back given recent promo art .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Also seems like the clean-shaven look is coming back given recent promo art .
    Thank god.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Happy new year to the fish guy

I really wanna get the Geoff Johns run omnibus but I'm currently waiting for Amazon to discount the price from 75 dollars to around 50. They did that previously but for some reason its now back to its original price.

Edit: Wait scratch that its down again, I might be able to get it this time
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 01-01-2023 at 01:14 PM.

Incredible Member

One question, but what do you guys think about the idea of Arthur's son, the Arthur Curry, Jr/Aquababy, coming back to life as a Red Hood-style character? I think this cliche, Red Hood/Winter Soldier is popular and would draw people's attention to the Aquaman comics.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    One question, but what do you guys think about the idea of Arthur's son, the Arthur Curry, Jr/Aquababy, coming back to life as a Red Hood-style character? I think this cliche, Red Hood/Winter Soldier is popular and would draw people's attention to the Aquaman comics.

Nope.
    Hells no!
    One, it's a tired trope that's been done to death and two, it takes away far more than it gives (storywise).
    After the initial dealing with the return and the how..... then what?
    It was a story WAY ahead of it's time (especially at DC) and has had serious and long lasting repercussions ever since.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I would prefer more if the kid was simply acknowledged and remembered. Cause the idea that Artur and Mera actually lost a child before is an interesting concept and it makes the birth of Andy all the more special.

Plus it does add an extra layer to Manta's depravity and his rivalry with Arthur. Like as much as people tout Joker's crippling of Barbara and murder of Jason, Manta arguably tops that with the murder of a child just to spite the parents.

Also I'm now reminded of a funny comment on a post with this image.

She was not saying "Red" she was saying "Dead". Like if she stays around him too long she could end up dead. Like seriously this guy murdered their kid and I have no reason to believe he would not do it again.

I feel like that's more Koryak, but they probably won't be bringing him back either.

Having a character actually stay dead is always nice. If they were to ever bring him back, it's something I would want to be temporary with him on a timelimit. Maybe a wish, multiverse, something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I would prefer more if the kid was simply acknowledged and remembered. Cause the idea that Artur and Mera actually lost a child before is an interesting concept and it makes the birth of Andy all the more special.

Plus it does add an extra layer to Manta's depravity and his rivalry with Arthur. Like as much as people tout Joker's crippling of Barbara and murder of Jason, Manta arguably tops that with the murder of a child just to spite the parents.

Also I'm now reminded of a funny comment on a post with this image.

What if it was like Judy Garrick though? That history has altered and rewritten so much that Arthur only later finds out he had a son who died and he forgot him
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Speaking of characters from the new Golden Age I do hope that someone at DC does something with the idea of the mysteriously missing 1940's Golden Age Aquaman who came before Arthur. Maybe make it a mystery connecting to Arthur's family lineage or at the very least they knew him.

Heck maybe a brand new grandchild of the original who gets to meet Arthur and Jackson.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I still don't see the need for a Golden Age Aquaman.

Anyone who is hungry for a good Aquaman story while we wait for his next books needs to go read Voidsong:

Great team up story between Arthur and Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still don't see the need for a Golden Age Aquaman.
    I could see the benefit if he was Polynesian to capitalize on Momoa’s popularity, but to have another Aquaman who looks exactly like Arthur is the most useless addition imaginable.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/