Page 28 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, DC can't even tell her what's in-continuity for PG so she's probably just making it up as she goes.
    From an early Leah Williams interview...

Leah Williams: "Okay, so what's the truth?"

DC editor: "What do you want it to be?"

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I don't approve of changing longstanding stuff about a character for no other reason than to change it. Which this, if it holds, seems to be. Though I like seeing her interact with the Superman Family. Perhaps one day they'll just give up and put her back in for real----this looks like it might start that. But of course Clark and Lois are the big ones she's got to have panel time with.
    This. An unnecessary change that nobody asked for.

Didn't mind the new jacket, that's just cosmetic.
    But she's been Karen Starr since the 70's, ...fifty years?...did not need to change it.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

What I find funny (and not “haha” funny, mind you) is that the cbr article calls the name “heartwarming” and present the whole book/blank slate thing as clever. Frankly, I don’t think it’s either of those things at all.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Her name is Karen Starr,and she likes to hit **** ,not poke in your brain,so I just see this as another writer trying to put their stamp on a character,when they should respect the characters long history and not try to change said character,but write a compelling and fun story about thst character
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Well, then I guess that is it then. RIP, Peege! I will always remember you fondly and celebrate your brassy and no-nonsense manner and wry wit.

I will keep an open mind about Paige and hope she fares better than the forgotten Tanya. I wish you well in the exploration and mastery of your new powers. I hope your new old Superman family is welcoming and as good a support as your friends from the League were.

Off to eBay for Peege back issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    This. An unnecessary change that nobody asked for.

Didn't mind the new jacket, that's just cosmetic.
    But she's been Karen Starr since the 70's, ...fifty years?...did not need to change it.
    I am still recovering from the random shift to Karen when her friends and my own comics reading friends called her Kara like the Leaguers did or Peege. So I feel your pain
    Last edited by Stanlos; 03-28-2023 at 09:22 PM.

Incredible Member

Astonishing Member

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I don't see Paige sticking. This seems more like trying to get PG away from the stigma associated with the name Karen (and Bob cuts I guess lol).

It won't stick.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    What I find funny (and not “haha” funny, mind you) is that the cbr article calls the name “heartwarming” and present the whole book/blank slate thing as clever. Frankly, I don’t think it’s either of those things at all.
    No, it isn't those things. Unnecessary, harmful to the character, and just plain dumb---those are things it is. But...I think that since she managed to give PG exactly the power she needed to fight Sorrow that her mind powers at least might not persist, and I rather think that most other writers will simply ignore her new name and just call her Karen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Well, then I guess that is it then. RIP, Peege! I will always remember you fondly and celebrate your brassy and no-nonsense manner and wry wit.

I will keep an open mind about Paige and hope she fares better than the forgotten Tanya. I wish you well in the exploration and mastery of your new powers. I hope your new old Superman family is welcoming and as good a support as your friends from the League were.

Off to eBay for Peege back issues!

I am still recovering from the random shift to Karen when her friends and my own comics reading friends called her Kara like the Leaguers did or Peege. So I feel your pain
    It makes sense that everyone was calling her Karen instead of Kara - after all, Supergirl now keeps her Kryptonian name in her human name, so we no longer have a second name to use for her to distinguish her from PG, unless you just call her Supergirl (which wouldn't necessarily mean Kara considering the 90s version). So people call Supergirl Kara and used Karen for Power Girl.

They really should've mentioned New 52 in the story, as that version of PG existing (and she does still exist, she's just back on Earth-2) would explain why the current one is changing her secret identity.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It makes sense that everyone was calling her Karen instead of Kara - after all, Supergirl now keeps her Kryptonian name in her human name, so we no longer have a second name to use for her to distinguish her from PG, unless you just call her Supergirl (which wouldn't necessarily mean Kara considering the 90s version). So people call Supergirl Kara and used Karen for Power Girl.

They really should've mentioned New 52 in the story, as that version of PG existing (and she does still exist, she's just back on Earth-2) would explain why the current one is changing her secret identity.
    The only problem with doing what they're doing is that other DC characters had been, and naturally would have been, using the same name (Kara) for her. Since it does have two possible pronunciations, it's likely one was just called "Care-uh", with the other "Kar-uh". The problem there is that there's really no way of showing that on the printed page while there absolutely is in other media.

Paige? Ignoring the disturbing Daredevil-Karen Page comparison, it was just out of the blue, and really doesn't fit with Kara's personality.

I agree that she should just be Karen, with Kara referenced from time to time as her real name. They should IMO then explain once or twice that they're simply pronounced differently.
    Last edited by achilles; 03-29-2023 at 07:26 AM.

Absolutely is indeed. Cat Grant often called Supergirl Kira instead of Kara on the TV show.

Of course PG wasn't the only superhero called Karen. It's also Bumblebee's real name.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I want to like this run but if you change a character's personality, name, supporting cast, costume and powers, what really remains? A hair style? Why not just make a new character? :/

I'm going to check out the special before I make my final weigh in on this take but I'm really not loving it, sadly.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I want to like this run but if you change a character's personality, name, supporting cast, costume and powers, what really remains? A hair style? Why not just make a new character? :/

I'm going to check out the special before I make my final weigh in on this take but I'm really not loving it, sadly.
    Agreed. Like I said in the other thread, Williams is making so many changes that it seems like she never wanted to write PG in the first place.