Page 27 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, the former actually, though it doesn't matter.
    Yeah sorry didn’t expect cbr to beat me to the official punch
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I don't approve of changing longstanding stuff about a character for no other reason than to change it. Which this, if it holds, seems to be. Though I like seeing her interact with the Superman Family. Perhaps one day they'll just give up and put her back in for real----this looks like it might start that. But of course Clark and Lois are the big ones she's got to have panel time with.
    Yeah it feels weird since I’ve been using Karen for almost a decade. But in fairness the message I think this is supposed to represent is her being accepted by the superfamily as an individual.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Never mind CBR posted it. Basically Jon and Powergirl teamed up trying to find what caused Kara last issue and Jon was trying to be nice to Powergirl who was feeling like a loner when he called her Karen. However she informed him that’s not her name, it’s a pre-Flashpoint identity that due to retcons and crises doesn’t actually exist anymore. So Jon calls her Paige based off P.G.

https://www.cbr.com/superman-power-g...e-karen-paige/
    Yeah, that's...not going to stick.

Can't say I'm liking the sound of that. But I'm not big on the weird new telepathy either.

Y'know, I'm starting to wonder. Karen being folded back into the Super family, all proper like, might not end up being as good for her as I thought it would be. They're gonna feel the need to differentiate Karen and Kara more. Plenty of differences already but DC doesn't see it that way. Which means stuff about Karen will change, because obviously DC isn't gonna adjust Supergirl to make room. It's already starting.

We might all have to make some accommodations and swallow some bitter changes if Karen is gonna run with the others Supers on the regular. Dunno how I feel about that......
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Can't say I'm liking the sound of that. But I'm not big on the weird new telepathy either.

Y'know, I'm starting to wonder. Karen being folded back into the Super family, all proper like, might not end up being as good for her as I thought it would be. They're gonna feel the need to differentiate Karen and Kara more. Plenty of differences already but DC doesn't see it that way. Which means stuff about Karen will change, because obviously DC isn't gonna adjust Supergirl to make room. It's already starting.

We might all have to make some accommodations and swallow some bitter changes if Karen is gonna run with the others Supers on the regular. Dunno how I feel about that......
    They just released a collection of the Conner/Palmiotti Power Girl run which is arguably way more character-defining than I think of any of what they're currently doing with her, so I'm not too worked up by it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

"Karen Paige"? Um....is that supposed to mean something? Should we be nervous? Will a mysterious stranger named "Matt" show up?

Extraordinary Member

Never mind CBR posted it. Basically Jon and Powergirl teamed up trying to find what caused Kara last issue and Jon was trying to be nice to Powergirl who was feeling like a loner when he called her Karen. However she informed him that’s not her name, it’s a pre-Flashpoint identity that due to retcons and crises doesn’t actually exist anymore. So Jon calls her Paige based off P.G.

I've been trying to work this out, but is she in fact Jon's "cousin"? I mean what is she to him as far as family relations, (ignoring the cross-universe thing)? Also, did Johnny Sorrow get a new name, or was that just another CBR edit problem? He'd make a good bad guy for PG; she needs a powerful bad guy that would give any hero in the DCU pause.
    Last edited by achilles; 03-28-2023 at 09:54 AM.

I've been trying to work this out, but is she in fact Jon's "cousin"? I mean what is she to him as far as family relations, (ignoring the cross-universe thing)?
    Let’s see…Powergirl is Earth-2 version of Kara so she’s Clark’s cousin. Which would make Jon her second cousin I believe. So her Earth-2nd Cousin.

Or are they first cousins once removed?
    Words to live by.

That's pretty bad. I hope Williams doesn't also throw away PG's business persona.
    It seems so unnecessary to have her drop Karen Starr. Specially for something as unoriginal as Paige.
    Williams is changing so many little bits that I wonder if she even wanted to write PG in the first place.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    That's pretty bad. I hope Williams doesn't also throw away PG's business persona.
    It seems so unnecessary to have her drop Karen Starr. Specially for something as unoriginal as Paige.
    Williams is changing so many little bits that I wonder if she even wanted to write PG in the first place.
    Naw, I think she's just trying to tell us something about her plans for Karen...er,,, Paige. Let's just say if anyone with a bulleye on his head shows up, PG should just leave.

This actually makes sense due to New 52 still being in continuity. That means there was another Power Girl running around a few years ago, and using the Karen Starr secret identity. When she went off to Earth-2 and passed her codename to Tanya Spears, wouldn't the Karen Starr identity have effectively died? So when pre-Flashpoint PG returned, she found that her secret identity was kaput. She needed a new one and hasn't created it until now. Also, the name Karen has negative connotations nowadays!

The other Kara likely no longer uses Linda Danvers as her civilian name for the same reason, another character using the name while she was gone (namely, the 90s Supergirl who was also called that).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-28-2023 at 10:45 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    This actually makes sense due to New 52 still being in continuity. That means there was another Power Girl running around a few years ago, and using the Karen Starr secret identity. When she went off to Earth-2 and passed her codename to Tanya Spears, wouldn't the Karen Starr identity have effectively died? So when pre-Flashpoint PG returned, she found that her secret identity was kaput. She needed a new one and hasn't created it until now. Also, the name Karen has negative connotations nowadays!

The other Kara likely no longer uses Linda Danvers as her civilian name for the same reason, another character using the name while she was gone (namely, the 90s Supergirl who was also called that).
    Well that and current Kara does not really have a secret identity at all. She’s just kind of been Supergirl 24/7
    Words to live by.

Technically it's currently Kara Danvers, but yeah, it's actually been a while since we've seen her use that name. The ID was basically rendered kaput when her DEO agent foster parents were killed in the Leviathan event, plus her subsequent aging up makes the Rebirth series' events questionable now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Well, DC can't even tell her what's in-continuity for PG so she's probably just making it up as she goes.

BANNED

Like telepathy and Power Psychiatrist, yet another aspect of this phase that doesn't feel right and isn't likely to stick around. You may as well have Clark take offense at being called Kal-El. Karen Starr is a part of who Power Girl is same as Kara Zor-L.