Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I can't really tell you how much Power Girl has meant to me over the years. Most of my childhood was as one of the make a wish types, though I never got my wish. What got me through it was reading Power Girl's adventures. I liked her personally, I liked her attitude, and it helped immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I can't really tell you how much Power Girl has meant to me over the years. Most of my childhood was as one of the make a wish types, though I never got my wish. What got me through it was reading Power Girl's adventures. I liked her personally, I liked her attitude, and it helped immensely.
    Amazing how these characters can enhance our lives. I hope all of your wishes come true for you!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Amazing how these characters can enhance our lives. I hope all of your wishes come true for you!
    Thank you, and to you too. And they can. My mom was in hospital when a surgical procedure went horribly wrong and she was in unimaginable pain and in imminent danger of death. But Lethal Weapon was on, and she said that it was the big thing that got her through that terrible patch.

And I've heard of many people getting through these horrific events with many comic book characters. These characters are more than just characters, they are in many cases life savers IRL.

BANNED

Thank you, and to you too. And they can. My mom was in hospital when a surgical procedure went horribly wrong and she was in unimaginable pain and in imminent danger of death. But Lethal Weapon was on, and she said that it was the big thing that got her through that terrible patch.

And I've heard of many people getting through these horrific events with many comic book characters. These characters are more than just characters, they are in many cases life savers IRL.
    Glad to hear she got through that. That's the (good) power of entertainment media, the power to take us from our present troubles back to more carefree and optimistic mindsets.

The last comics-related property to do that to me was Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I'd only seen less than a handful of episodes when I stumbled across the series finale, and was so moved that I binged the entire series. Power Girl unfortunately wasn't in any episodes, unless you subscribe to the old "Black Orchid is Power Girl" theory; but she appeared proper in the B:TBATB comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    Glad to hear she got through that. That's the (good) power of entertainment media, the power to take us from our present troubles back to more carefree and optimistic mindsets.

The last comics-related property to do that to me was Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I'd only seen less than a handful of episodes when I stumbled across the series finale, and was so moved that I binged the entire series. Power Girl unfortunately wasn't in any episodes, unless you subscribe to the old "Black Orchid is Power Girl" theory; but she appeared proper in the B:TBATB comic book.

This is the first I'm hearing of this theory. What is it based on?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This is the first I'm hearing of this theory. What is it based on?
    I recall seeing it on a humble fan website in the late 90s/early 2000s, when going over the powers and a few possible candidates who could be the pre-Vertigo Black Orchid (the better version IMO). I remember feeling "okay, I guess not" when seeing Power Girl alongside the Black Orchid in JLA: Another Nail but that was an Elseworlds.

Nice fanservice !

Alan Davis kind of blended her first two costumes together! If Carolstrick were still around I'd wager the Another Nail iteration would get its own entry in the Power Girl Costume Index! It has high neck body suit of the first costume but with the button and cape detail of the second one

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Alan Davis kind of blended her first two costumes together! If Carolstrick were still around I'd wager the Another Nail iteration would get its own entry in the Power Girl Costume Index! It has high neck body suit of the first costume but with the button and cape detail of the second one
    If I could ever draw like one artist, it would be Alan Davis. I think he's also good at designing appearances, like the adjustments he did to Martian Manhunter in the Nail 'verse. With Power Girl, it's a simple but appreciable adjustment, like whichever cape she feels like wearing during the week.

Extraordinary Member

The person above all others I'd have loved to see write and draw a Power Girl series was the late, great Darwyn Cooke. His 50's Marilyn Monroe style PG would have been perfect set in Vegas in that period. Just at the beginning of the space age.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you were able to pull through and that these stories helped you in a hard time.

The person above all others I'd have loved to see write and draw a Power Girl series was the late, great Darwyn Cooke. His 50's Marilyn Monroe style PG would have been perfect set in Vegas in that period. Just at the beginning of the space age.
    Agreed entirely, and he wouldn't perv on the character the way some do.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post

You know, on that night I discovered the fastest car in the world; the one I was driving to hospital at 3 in the morning when I got the call. Doesn't even matter what the car was, it WAS going to do 120 MPH, its max, with me at the wheel in that situation.