Page 37 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

How far are DC going to take this "Paige" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I know,but Karen has been a target for her boob window for years now,taming her in multiple ways might be the plan.
    It's a paranoid thought, but these days I could believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe until the "Karen hate" is gone?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

So you think they are trying to get rid of her overall sexy tough hero look and persona,for whatever BS ppl think is appropriate these days for a female hero?
    Well. yes. That's pretty much what I think.

I know,but Karen has been a target for her boob window for years now,taming her in multiple ways might be the plan.
    Again, she still has the boob window. Her personality hasn't even changed that much, if at all.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This creative team, I'd wager. I'm ready for the Paige thing to be over. Her name has been Karen for 50 years. Changing it over some current stigma regarding the name is pretty weak. It's her name. Having Karen just drop her entire personality and name is a very, very strange choice for her.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This creative team, I'd wager. I'm ready for the Paige thing to be over. Her name has been Karen for 50 years. Changing it over some current stigma regarding the name is pretty weak. It's her name. Having Karen just drop her entire personality and name is a very, very strange choice for her.
    And here's the thing; it's already almost over. Hardly anyone uses that term any more. True, they have some lead time on these stories, but "Karen" as a derogatory term was on it's way out when they must have actually come up with these stories. I think most of us really hope that it gets dropped with a different writer.

Extraordinary Member

If they were getting rid of the Karen name, they would have to do Bumblebee too.
    I think they’re just differentiating her more from Kara Zod-El. As Supergirl in current continuity uses Kara as both her Kryptonian name and her Earth civilian name.

Explaining the differences with Supergirl and Powergirl for a newbie is difficult enough. And Karen/Kara causes more confusion.

I really hope they don't change her name. That would be stupid.

They won't change it for bumblebee because she's not white

I know it’s a long shot but I really do hope this all leads to at least a Powergirl miniseries. I mean we have all the action comics backups, the powergirl one-shot, and now Knight Terrors.

I’d be cool if it was like what Dennis Culver wants to do with Doom Patrol, yearly seasonal miniseries with specials and tie-ins.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    If they were getting rid of the Karen name, they would have to do Bumblebee too.
    I think they’re just differentiating her more from Kara Zod-El. As Supergirl in current continuity uses Kara as both her Kryptonian name and her Earth civilian name.

Explaining the differences with Supergirl and Powergirl for a newbie is difficult enough. And Karen/Kara causes more confusion.
    Why? Karen and Kara are spelled differently and sound different. Especially if you assign the pronunciation "Kar-Uh" to her. Besides, she's STILL Kara, which sounds a bit more confusing, which is to say, not very, than "Karen".

I would tell DC....just stick with Kara/Karen Starr. You win nothing by changing it, and you PO fans. And I think now it might just have been that DC allowed the current writer to do what she wants with Karen as she's not a hugely important character.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

And they're actually going to be using Bumblebee too, she's in the upcoming World's Finest Teen Titans comic by Waid. Surely they won't be exclusively calling her by a nickname? They easily could (and derived the same way too, for example Bea, from Bumblebee).

It'll take fans a long time to get used to PG not being called Karen any more - I wonder if there's folks out there who still call Supergirl Linda? Even if there's less of that nowadays, I bet it was a common mistake before the CW show came along - her Kara Danvers secret identity actually appeared there before she adopted it in the comics. That's what PG would probably need if Paige is going to stick - an adaptation where she's called that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I know it’s a long shot but I really do hope this all leads to at least a Powergirl miniseries. I mean we have all the action comics backups, the powergirl one-shot, and now Knight Terrors.

I’d be cool if it was like what Dennis Culver wants to do with Doom Patrol, yearly seasonal miniseries with specials and tie-ins.
    My only problem with it is if the mini keeps trying to push the "Paige" thing.

Extraordinary Member

My only problem with it is if the mini keeps trying to push the "Paige" thing.
    "Paige" is a high school cheerleader, not a Kryptonian superhero. And it sounds nothing at all like "Peege". So there goes that try.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    "Paige" is a high school cheerleader, not a Kryptonian superhero. And it sounds nothing at all like "Peege". So there goes that try.
    well... there's Paige Guthrie... but she's an X-men character.

Quote Originally Posted by Danvidar View Post
    There was also the part where Jon calls her Karen and she tells him that isn't her name, but that of an alter ego from a while ago that has no use any longer. So Jon asks what to call her, Omen says she calls her PG, which leads into Jon making his suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    So....randomly throw away a key part of her story and character for...nothing? There's no payoff to that. Nothing except a writer given too much freedom on a minor character who then decided to "fix" an annoying but temporary pop culture phenomenon that doesn't need fixing.

Time to turn the paige on this bad idea.
    Part of the problem may be a question of how long has it been (in the comic book stories) since Power Girl was active as "Karen Starr" and is her company still in existence in this universe?

Maybe she feels it's time for a new identity rather than try to resurrect the "Karen Starr" persona from the past?

Not saying I think that's what should happen, but . . .