Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Eh, the age thing is a bit weird, but I'm more willing to cut them some slack there as this is a thing they've actually bothered, though never in an organized manner done with intent, to set the groundwork in that PG has previously been shown to essentially either not age at all, or do age so very slowly that it's really hard to tell on mere human timescales that she's at all older from one decade to the next. There have been enough future PG stories where other human characters have aged, but she hasn't, or hasn't aged much compared to the human characters. And it's been shown to be that way for Kryptonians in general. Where this becomes interesting is that a 70s vintage PG still around, who still looks exactly like she did back in the 70s, should have a lot of experience, and should be in general a LOT tougher than she was when young and inexperienced---more contrast with SG, and possibly even a bit with Superman himself, if weirdly he's now younger than Kara, (PG---she's Kara to me rather than Karen).

If I had to guess from what's gone before, I'd say PG would age, but so slowly she'd probably still be a thing around the time of the LOSH. Though they've very carefully kept her away from THEM as much as possible; in fact, I can only recall one story where she had any significant interaction with members of that team----other than that, they're the territory of Supergirl. Which is interesting, since they've never bothered to keep Supergirl away from Power Girl related properties. But whatever, this is hopefully the start of a new era where Power Girl and other previously marginalized but viable characters get their just due finally.

Honestly, if I were WB, and I was looking for a Kryptonian female character to use in a live action movie or streaming show, I'd go to PG rather than SG----she's got some basic framework attached, but she's more of a tabula rasa than SG as far as the general public goes. Which means that while they'll know in general what to expect from her the instant they see that jacket with the "S" on it, or any other variation, (and while I don't necessarily agree with WB/DC on this, I can see where they're coming from with the "S" shield redesign), but the details are up for grabs, free for a creative team to define. That said, the record of even halfway decent writing, never mind actual good writing, in movies or streaming as of the past few years doesn't inspire one with confidence. Dread, perhaps, but not confidence.

That said, assuming a good writer could be found who understands the character and is willing to put the thought and work into making her a likeable onscreen protagonist who could attract audiences the way Evans did as Cap, or Downey Jr. did as Iron Man, or ScarJo did as Widow before they squeezed out her solo movie five years or more too late... you could have a potential mid-range or lower budget movie or streaming show with PG----who doesn't carry any of the baggage SG does. Especially as Benoist has established SG fairly firmly for better or worse, while PG is....aside from a few core character traits, powers, and some basic backstory---free for any ambitious writer WB likes to define.
    If it ever came to it, I feel like Charlize Theron would make an outstanding live action PG. She looks the part and can kick major ass (see: Atomic Blonde). She could also portray the PG personality well.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    If it ever came to it, I feel like Charlize Theron would make an outstanding live action PG. She looks the part and can kick major ass (see: Atomic Blonde). She could also portray the PG personality well.
    That ship has sailed, she' aged out of the role. Also, isn't she now over at the MCU now?

Astonishing Member

That ship has sailed, she' aged out of the role. Also, isn't she now over at the MCU now?
    She would have been my pick for Ms./Captain Marvel as well, but I suspect they felt she was already too old for that role -- though she was younger than Robert Downey Jr. when he was cast as Iron Man, and of course, she was cast as Clea -- but she would have been amazing as Marvel.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    She would have been my pick for Ms./Captain Marvel as well, but I suspect they felt she was already too old for that role -- though she was younger than Robert Downey Jr. when he was cast as Iron Man, and of course, she was cast as Clea -- but she would have been amazing as Marvel.
    Ah, didn't realize she was is MCU since I don't watch those. Feel like they could have worked around her age tho.

Oh well, what coulda been I guess...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Ah, didn't realize she was is MCU since I don't watch those. Feel like they could have worked around her age tho.

Oh well, what coulda been I guess...
    The problem IMO with casting these roles is the number of boxes you have to tick. Age is one, both the character's real or seeming age in the comics, fans will have an idea about this and be pissed if it isn't met. Except in cases where the character spans a large age range in notable appearances, like DKR or the Old Man Logan stuff. Another is how long the actor will be able to do these; studios seem to like at least a decade in the role, three to four appearances minimum, usually IIRC 6. And that includes how long they'll look the same, and be able to handle the physical stuff they have to---that was at least a contributing thing for Evans I think in deciding wisely to step away from the role while he still looked the part. But it was close, ditto with both ScarJo and RDJ---they were on the verge of not really looking the exact same way they did ten years ago. Which is what studios really want.

For a character like PG, WB realistically would probably only ever include her in a JSA movie---which in itself seems highly unlikely. And even that's only mildly possible----she's managed to have been kept out of ever single appearance in other media the JSA have made. But they would still want to lock an actress up for a multi-picture deal in case the movie is a surprise hit like GoTG or Iron Man. So she'd have to hit that age range which would seem to be quite a bit less than say Superman or Batman. She probably be 19-22 or so, no older. That's my feeling on how they'd go about casting her for what its worth.

BANNED

Better than Charlize Theron I feel would've been younger Katee Sackhoff. The attitude she brought to Battlestar Galactica sold me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    Better than Charlize Theron I feel would've been younger Katee Sackhoff. The attitude she brought to Battlestar Galactica sold me.

Yeah, she could have handled the acting, but again, it's way too late for her to play this character. Shame. I'd probably get some little known, but capable actress who fits most of the bill for the character and can just use charm and talent to get the audience on the character's side.

I know that lady!! She was the first bionic lady in that remake, the bounty hunter in that Riddick movie, and she was the science lady on that space show with the Superman guy!

BANNED

And a voice in the Star Wars cartoon before playing her character in a live action show!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I know that lady!! She was the first bionic lady in that remake, the bounty hunter in that Riddick movie, and she was the science lady on that space show with the Superman guy!
    You have to like actors who set themselves up for a genre career in these things without ever looking down on those genres. She's long had my respect for that, and for just being good at what she does.

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Huh, that's NOT where I would have gone with it, but...I can see a bit of historical precedent---the Candor arc of SG, wherein PG was for some reason able to resist Saturn Queen while SG wasn't, at least at first. The question never answered, well, one of them, was HOW she was able to resist. That said, obviously this isn't connected to that, merely perhaps a call-back in some form. What exactly would she do with this power? Why not give her something a bit more...Power oriented? Superman gets this vast upgrade and she gets...this.

BANNED

Huh, that's NOT where I would have gone with it, but...I can see a bit of historical precedent---the Candor arc of SG, wherein PG was for some reason able to resist Saturn Queen while SG wasn't, at least at first. The question never answered, well, one of them, was HOW she was able to resist. That said, obviously this isn't connected to that, merely perhaps a call-back in some form. What exactly would she do with this power? Why not give her something a bit more...Power oriented? Superman gets this vast upgrade and she gets...this.
    Telepathy with superhuman abilities isn't something new, but that extra ability suits Martian Manhunter's character much better than Power Girl's.

I'd prefer Karen keep her Kryptonian abilities and maybe give a nod to her post-COIE Atlantean origin. Maybe Arion gifts her a special talisman with a straightforward ability like perpetual breathing in any element, or extra protection against magicks.