Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23636970717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1133
    Incredible Member

In my head canon the Braddock siblings interactions when they reunite are like Succession’s Roy siblings. Less troubled and less wicked, of course!

I would love a series with the 3 of them… 9622CC57-AC69-4443-BD8E-8D1E7516FF26.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    In my head canon the Braddock siblings interactions when they reunite are like Succession’s Roy siblings. Less troubled and less wicked, of course!

I would love a series with the 3 of them… 9622CC57-AC69-4443-BD8E-8D1E7516FF26.jpg
    Haha yes indeed. MentalManipulator has compared them to the Succession siblings as well and it's fun.

The three of them have such a fun dynamic that should definitely be highlighted more. Love that panel you posted/created!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

omg lol that is so toxic BUT i can kind of see it. Now I have to think of other sibling dynamics they remind me of.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    omg lol that is so toxic BUT i can kind of see it. Now I have to think of other sibling dynamics they remind me of.
    I think it is the old money vibes. And the fact they are fully grown adults but their interactions remains juvenile.

The jealousy, the nitpicking… and the unconditional love despite their differences… plus the configuration itself… an alcoholic control freak, a miss know it all girl and a lunatic brother..

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I've re-read this and boy, I did remember why I loved it so much.

First, they had Brian basically recap everything he is, so it was nice for new readers (such as me, who picked up the title only for Betsy back then, and barely knew she had a brother!)
    I don't know if Brian or Megghan characterizations were fine and consistent to old fans, but to me it was awesome reading indeed - plus, wonderful art.

Also re-read the Marriage issue. Of course it was a bit harder to understand, if you hadn't read the previous issues, and I'm sure I couldn't enjoy as much as a previous fan could, but it did work as a stand alone as well.
    I didn't remember it had so nice Warren/Betsy little moments. I think it gave few hints that, at least for the author, it was time Warren and Betsy tied the knot. This panel is *dreamy*
    Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 19-05-53 Excalibur (1988) Issue #125 - Read Excalibur (1988) Issue #125.jpg
    (I think from now on I'll headcanon that Warren started to consider his future with Betsy here and, seeing that Betsy wasn't ready to move further, things ended as Claremont made them end in Revolution)
    Ok, I'll shut my shippy side now!
    Also nice choice for Betsy's look. A throwback to her first costume (pink + hair style). If I didn't know better, I would believe he was back in her Caucasian body here.

Also glad to acknowledge what I wasn't hallucinating that Saturnyne had wanted/had a crush for Brian. I don't know why, but I was sure of it, but then I re-read X-Men: Die by the Sword and Saturnyne seems to hate Brian's guts so I was confused. *lol*
    Last edited by Hakka84; 12-04-2023 at 11:13 AM.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    I think it is the old money vibes. And the fact they are fully grown adults but their interactions remains juvenile.

The jealousy, the nitpicking… and the unconditional love despite their differences… plus the configuration itself… an alcoholic control freak, a miss know it all girl and a lunatic brother..
    The alcoholic control freak is one of those negative traits that was dropped on Brian by US Marvel. Davis has said it was never his intention that Brian be an alcoholic, and the bossy authoritarian streak that American writers have painted him with blatantly goes against his characterisation in the UK stories, where Brian is idealistic and a staunch individualist, believing that people must be allowed to govern themselves; Betsy was the one in bed with the RCX and who believed some decisions were too important to be left to the people, iirc.

He's stubborn, emotional, and frequently annoyed by the crazy lifestyle he leads, but the control freak thing really is something that Marvel tends to add to non-American alpha-male heroes, along with a certain amount of misogyny thrown in. I'd really like it if they dropped the negative characterisation, they know most of his British fans find it a turn-off but they do it anyway. It's something I'm really touchy about.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The alcoholic control freak is one of those negative traits that was dropped on Brian by US Marvel. Davis has said it was never his intention that Brian be an alcoholic, and the bossy authoritarian streak that American writers have painted him with blatantly goes against his characterisation in the UK stories, where Brian is idealistic and a staunch individualist, believing that people must be allowed to govern themselves; Betsy was the one in bed with the RCX and who believed some decisions were too important to be left to the people, iirc.

He's stubborn, emotional, and frequently annoyed by the crazy lifestyle he leads, but the control freak thing really is something that Marvel tends to add to non-American alpha-male heroes, along with a certain amount of misogyny thrown in. I'd really like it if they dropped the negative characterisation, they know most of his British fans find it a turn-off but they do it anyway. It's something I'm really touchy about.
    I see your point and agree that the emasculated and somewhat emotionally violent attitude that brian had fell under some writers a tad frustrating for you. I agree marvel UK had never displayed this trait nor the alcoholism, but in the way I read him I’ve seen like he had often claimed the “control of all things” to himself, even patronizing betsy in those years.

In my opinion his behavior is not critical thing until a writer decide it isÂ… and his older brother syndrome towards everyone around could yes evolve into a mild misogyny.

I like the character a lot, and if I was to write him I would make sure he got over those flaws suggested by some writers.
    Last edited by crimsontt; 12-05-2023 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    I've re-read this and boy, I did remember why I loved it so much.

First, they had Brian basically recap everything he is, so it was nice for new readers (such as me, who picked up the title only for Betsy back then, and barely knew she had a brother!)
    I don't know if Brian or Megghan characterizations were fine and consistent to old fans, but to me it was awesome reading indeed - plus, wonderful art.

Also re-read the Marriage issue. Of course it was a bit harder to understand, if you hadn't read the previous issues, and I'm sure I couldn't enjoy as much as a previous fan could, but it did work as a stand alone as well.
    I didn't remember it had so nice Warren/Betsy little moments. I think it gave few hints that, at least for the author, it was time Warren and Betsy tied the knot. This panel is *dreamy*
    Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 19-05-53 Excalibur (1988) Issue #125 - Read Excalibur (1988) Issue #125.jpg
    (I think from now on I'll headcanon that Warren started to consider his future with Betsy here and, seeing that Betsy wasn't ready to move further, things ended as Claremont made them end in Revolution)
    Ok, I'll shut my shippy side now!
    Also nice choice for Betsy's look. A throwback to her first costume (pink + hair style). If I didn't know better, I would believe he was back in her Caucasian body here.

Also glad to acknowledge what I wasn't hallucinating that Saturnyne had wanted/had a crush for Brian. I don't know why, but I was sure of it, but then I re-read X-Men: Die by the Sword and Saturnyne seems to hate Brian's guts so I was confused. *lol*
    They did a great job with the recap of Brian's history, something that I never tire of reading despite how many times it's been recapped.

I love the art, from the action scenes to quiet moments when Brian is trying to shake off the nightmares.

It was sweet for Meggan to call Betsy out of concern for Brian, and how Betsy came the very next day.

The surprise and urgency of the mission, the Corps being attacked and needing Brian's help, and of course his scientific brilliance on display as he swiftly creates a wormhole to Otherworld.

A fun issue with a great cliffhanger. I'm looking forward to diving into issue 2 this week.

Side and silly question. What do you think about the way the Crimson Dawn mark was rendered in this issue? I know it was basically an error, but I think it looked interesting pink+bright/made of light.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Side and silly question. What do you think about the way the Crimson Dawn mark was rendered in this issue? I know it was basically an error, but I think it looked interesting pink+bright/made of light.
    Though I'm not a fan of it in general, I do like how it kinda glowed here.

Throwback Thursday: The opening pages of Waiting for the End of the World

Moore really knows how to ramp up the feeling of foreboding, and of course Alan Davis's art is suitably atmospheric, reminding us of how flexible an artist he is. I hadn't managed to get a hold of the previous two issues when I (probably my Mother, actually) picked this up at the shops, so it was a bit of a surprise to find things had moved on from the Dimensional Development Court trial, and that everybody was back on 616 huddled in the mansion. I think this issue was the first to show that there was a Jaspers on 616, too.

Probably one of my favourite issues in the arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Throwback Thursday: The opening pages of Waiting for the End of the World

Moore really knows how to ramp up the feeling of foreboding, and of course Alan Davis's art is suitably atmospheric, reminding us of how flexible an artist he is. I hadn't managed to get a hold of the previous two issues when I (probably my Mother, actually) picked this up at the shops, so it was a bit of a surprise to find things had moved on from the Dimensional Development Court trial, and that everybody was back on 616 huddled in the mansion. I think this issue was the first to show that there was a Jaspers on 616, too.

Probably one of my favourite issues in the arc.
    A masterpiece. I cannot say enough good things about this issue and the ones that follow. By the time I first read this story I had read many with the theme of government crackdown on the super-powered and/or mutants. But it is this story that made the biggest impression on me and has stuck with me the most. Vitally important to the character development of Brian, Betsy, Linda, Tom, Alison, and Saturnyne.

In these three pages there are more words and spoken baloons than in a whole modern issue *bitter Hakka is bitter*

In these three pages there are more words and spoken baloons than in a whole modern issue *bitter Hakka is bitter*
    And Moore is just an excellent writer who can convey so much with so little.