Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

If they explore more of Otherworld, I hope they get rid of the clothes magically turning into medieval clothes. It doesn’t happen to every character so there’s no point. I always enjoyed when people had to find clothes to match wherever they ended up (different realities, times, dimensions, etc..)

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    The phoenix and the butterfly what a power couple! Betchel or Rachsy? Rachabeth? Elizachel? Am I doing this the wrong way?

This art is gorgeous. Not only that, but Betsy is wearing something that Betsy would wear and the same with Rachel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    If they explore more of Otherworld, I hope they get rid of the clothes magically turning into medieval clothes. It doesn’t happen to every character so there’s no point. I always enjoyed when people had to find clothes to match wherever they ended up (different realities, times, dimensions, etc..)
    Yeah it was pretty inconsistent, Rachel had the most drastic change while Gambit and Jubilee's clothes didn't change. Rachel also had her powers change while the others didn't but I guess that can be chalked up to the Askani lore stuff. It was indeed fun when they had to find attire to suit the environment. Excalibur #16 comes to mind, space pirate Nightcrawler and Rachel and Kitty looking like She-Ra and Teela. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    This art is gorgeous. Not only that, but Betsy is wearing something that Betsy would wear and the same with Rachel.
    Totally agree.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    LOL It's been kinda hard landing on a really good combo name! I've seen Retsy but then someone decided to try their codenames and came up with Britskani. That one has taken hold as well as the variant Betskani which I love.

That image is gorgeous. I love their expressions and the playfulness of it. The couple has been getting a lot of love in the art world so please continue to share whatever you find. People are having a lot of fun out there.

Is that a krakoan gate behind them? And those are custom made figures… people are really awesome

Next gala I expect they will be attending as an official couple, yes?

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Is that a krakoan gate behind them? And those are custom made figures… people are really awesome

Next gala I expect they will be attending as an official couple, yes?

Aww I love that moment for them. I hope they make a grand entrance together this year with amazing gala designs. Betsy was absent from the last one so I need a whole red carpet moment.

I love how they've been depicted in their recent cameos as a clear couple.

Hat's off to Tini for making it happen because it took a lot of work to make it official. Bringing this over from the LGBTQ+ thread in case anyone hasn't seen it:
    The Washington Post recently released a TikTok video on the topic of IPs and challenges writers can face when trying to depict them as officially queer. Betsy, Rachel, and the new book are featured/shown.
    Last edited by JB; 01-29-2023 at 02:10 PM.

Mighty Member

Have they really ever explored their parents lives? I mean did Sir James have any siblings or relatives in Otherworld? I think that would be interesting to explore (not by TH though).

Someone that could harbor a grudge against them? Someone that could fanboy over their return to Otherworld? Something. I feel like a family book (for the most part) should have some interesting family dynamics. I mean we hardly see Jamie much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Have they really ever explored their parents lives? I mean did Sir James have any siblings or relatives in Otherworld? I think that would be interesting to explore (not by TH though).

Someone that could harbor a grudge against them? Someone that could fanboy over their return to Otherworld? Something. I feel like a family book (for the most part) should have some interesting family dynamics. I mean we hardly see Jamie much.
    I would love an arc or mini (Claremont?) that deep dives into their father because there hasn't been much exploration on him or his Otherworld history. He worked for the Weapon Plus program in the 616 and joined the Hellfire Club but his life before coming to this earth is so much a mystery. Like his mother was from Otherworld and she comes from a line of warriors - I would love to see more about that and for it to tie to Betsy's long desire to be a warrior.

Sidenote: The Marvel.com listing for BB:CB #1 is up and it's been added to the release calendar. Just a few more weeks!
    https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...britain_2023_1

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I would love an arc or mini (Claremont?) that deep dives into their father because there hasn't been much exploration on him or his Otherworld history. He worked for the Weapon Plus program in the 616 and joined the Hellfire Club but his life before coming to this earth is so much a mystery. Like his mother was from Otherworld and she comes from a line of warriors - I would love to see more about that and for it to tie to Betsy's long desire to be a warrior.

Sidenote: The Marvel.com listing for BB:CB #1 is up and it's been added to the release calendar. Just a few more weeks!
    100%, I think the Braddock family history, between Otherworld, the Hellfire Club, the British government and shady government operations are just ripe for exploration.

I think it was always implied but never really explored that Sir James and Lady Elizabeth had a number of secret of their own... it would be cool if a writer was keen to explore some of that. And it's all extremely fertile ground for the MCU when the time comes.

100%, I think the Braddock family history, between Otherworld, the Hellfire Club, the British government and shady government operations are just ripe for exploration.

I think it was always implied but never really explored that Sir James and Lady Elizabeth had a number of secret of their own... it would be cool if a writer was keen to explore some of that. And it's all extremely fertile ground for the MCU when the time comes.
    Reading you guys I cannot help but feel like we have barely scratched the tip of the ice-berg when it comes to the Braddock’s history and lore and that’s not even mentioning the addition of Meggan to the family tree, let’s see …….it bears repeating… we have castles, an ancient manor, the lighthouse, magic, science, the British hellfire Club, arthurian mythology, secret agencies, espionage, dimensional travel, cosmic stakes and mysteries spawning generations…. You really cannot go wrong by delving into such a bounty, it could easily grow into a sister franchise to the x-men with the right talents behind it.
    Last edited by Daedra; 01-30-2023 at 05:55 AM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Reading you guys I cannot help but feel like we have barely scratched the tip of the ice-berg when it comes to the Braddock’s history and lore and that’s not even mentioning the addition of Meggan to the family tree, let’s see …….it bears repeating… we have castles, an ancient manor, the lighthouse, magic, science, the British hellfire Club, arthurian mythology, secret agencies, espionage, dimensional travel, cosmic stakes and mysteries spawning generations…. You really cannot go wrong by delving into such a bounty, it could easily grow into a sister franchise to the x-men with the right talents behind it.
    Reading both of your posts really excites me and I agree Daedra, we've seen so little of this family's history and the iceberg is massive. A spin-off franchise centered on the Braddocks and all that Otherworld entails, plus adding Rachel and the Askani lore, would be a dream for me. Even right now with the current status quo, we have Otherworld protected and controlled by mutants and the gate to enter from Krakoa resides in Mercator, overseen by an Omega powerhouse. It's the kind of world-building I love and we've barely looked into the different realms.

As I'm reviewing Excalibur to summarize the Krakoa/Britain conflict, there's the scene where Apocalypse gets Jamie installed as king and A is practically giddy. "One of our most powerful mutants and truly, a Braddock? Otherworld's most powerful family?" And he's right, they're the First Family of Otherworld and that would be a great theme to their MCU position to Uncanny's point. *chef's kiss

Can anyone tell me when James and Elizabeth Braddock became Sir James and Lady Elizabeth? Are those Otherworld titles, or British?

In the Delano/Davis story Pictures, Puzzles & Pawns the newspaper article refers to them as Dr. James Braddock and Elizabeth, no mention of titles. And it says they purchased the Manor House, so presumably they are not landed gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Can anyone tell me when James and Elizabeth Braddock became Sir James and Lady Elizabeth? Are those Otherworld titles, or British?

In the Delano/Davis story Pictures, Puzzles & Pawns the newspaper article refers to them as Dr. James Braddock and Elizabeth, no mention of titles. And it says they purchased the Manor House, so presumably they are not landed gentry.
    I think that's stuff that came from Handbooks and was later adopted by the actual comics.

There are a few inconsistencies in the Manor history that would be fun to see cleared up as well. Originally, Claremont had it built in the 17th century "on land that’s been part of the Braddock heritage since before the Romans invaded Britain", meaning that the Braddocks were directly related to the Celtic Britons, which I think is a far more interesting approach than "they just bought the Manor" as it was retconned by the subsequent writers.

If you could ask JRR Tolkein... he'd probably tell you that's the secret to background story writing..... there will always be more story untold. Writing short bios for every major character? easy!... what about those minor characters you had to add to the story to fill in the BGs of the main characters? Yeah, if you write BGs for EVERY character... you will never stop writing.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    If you could ask JRR Tolkein... he'd probably tell you that's the secret to background story writing..... there will always be more story untold. Writing short bios for every major character? easy!... what about those minor characters you had to add to the story to fill in the BGs of the main characters? Yeah, if you write BGs for EVERY character... you will never stop writing.
    Interesting, as a novelist he did have a point but incidentally “to never stop writing” is actually the purpose of american comics, I wonder what Tolkien would think of the genre.
    These character have been going non stop for the best part of the last 50 years and the gold vein hasn’t run dry yet, I’m ready yo keep digging!

Interesting, as a novelist he did have a point but incidentally “to never stop writing” is actually the purpose of american comics, I wonder what Tolkien would think of the genre.
    These character have been going non stop for the best part of the last 50 years and the gold vein hasn’t run dry yet, I’m ready yo keep digging!
    Well this applies going forward, if you have 20 pages for this month... are you gonna use one of them to throw in a backstory for the janitor? does the Janitor's backstory matter somehow?