Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot: Meggan is much more dominant, not to mention smarter, in this last story Of the CB run than the version CC gives us in Excalibur. There was a fun dynamic there between Brian and Megan which was lost when CC reimagined Megan as a victim of the relationship with little agency.

Brian & Betsy as Captain Britain: the irony in this current situation was that when Roma stepped down in favour of Brian ruling Otherworld, Kelsey Leigh was made Captain Britain of 616 as Brian couldn’t do that job any more. In the real world I believe that decision was made because the writer of the Avengers wanted to put a CB on the team to make it more international, but didn’t wantBrian, so Brian was ‘promoted’ presumably to placate us OG CB fans. In the current situation it would make more sense for Brian to still be active in Britain whilst Betsy does the Otherworld stuff.

New Mutants Annual: the art is great, but definitely a change from Davis’s original style - it’s more polished and everyone is more idealised. Betsy is a little less aggressive than in the last CB run, and Brian doesn’t really get to do much, but it’s a nice issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I love EVERYTHING about that NM Annual, from Alan Davis' sweet art to the introduction of Betsy and Meggan to American comics (Brian had already appeared on Marvel Team-Up at this stage IIRC), and then Betsy's friendship with the New Mutants and Douglas (neither of which had much of a development unfortunately), the introduction of the Psylocke name, a prototype Jubilee's first appearance... this issue really had it all!
    It's chock full of a lot of goodies, one of my favorites. I was familiar with the Braddocks by the time I read this for the first time but even if I wasn't, I think Claremont did a great job of making the reader care about them. You're able to recognize that the siblings have a strong relationship and that Betsy has clearly been through a lot, wanting to take that trauma and use it to grow. Plus prototype Jubilee and Davis' depictions of Mojo and the Wildways? It's so fun. I really love Doug here.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot: Meggan is much more dominant, not to mention smarter, in this last story Of the CB run than the version CC gives us in Excalibur. There was a fun dynamic there between Brian and Megan which was lost when CC reimagined Megan as a victim of the relationship with little agency.

Brian & Betsy as Captain Britain: the irony in this current situation was that when Roma stepped down in favour of Brian ruling Otherworld, Kelsey Leigh was made Captain Britain of 616 as Brian couldn’t do that job any more. In the real world I believe that decision was made because the writer of the Avengers wanted to put a CB on the team to make it more international, but didn’t wantBrian, so Brian was ‘promoted’ presumably to placate us OG CB fans. In the current situation it would make more sense for Brian to still be active in Britain whilst Betsy does the Otherworld stuff.

New Mutants Annual: the art is great, but definitely a change from Davis’s original style - it’s more polished and everyone is more idealised. Betsy is a little less aggressive than in the last CB run, and Brian doesn’t really get to do much, but it’s a nice issue.
    Meggan running the show while meeting those goons in the final CB issue is great fun and I would have liked to see her continue to grow in that light. It showcased her street smarts and growing confidence which, as you said, is something we don't really get in early Excalibur. I like her rough around the edges side.

As for the current situation, the Captain Avalon role is something I'd like to see changed because I agree that he should be active in Britain. It worked during X of Swords and that time period because their brother was king so it made sense to me. Not so much now with Arthur. I'd like to see Betsy have a successful run as CB to close out that story for her and I'd be okay with her focusing on Otherworld. But I know, and understand why, many fans want her back in the X-world. Ideally there would a balance and integration where she wouldn't have to give up one for the other.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    It's chock full of a lot of goodies, one of my favorites. I was familiar with the Braddocks by the time I read this for the first time but even if I wasn't, I think Claremont did a great job of making the reader care about them. You're able to recognize that the siblings have a strong relationship and that Betsy has clearly been through a lot, wanting to take that trauma and use it to grow. Plus prototype Jubilee and Davis' depictions of Mojo and the Wildways? It's so fun. I really love Doug here.

Meggan running the show while meeting those goons in the final CB issue is great fun and I would have liked to see her continue to grow in that light. It showcased her street smarts and growing confidence which, as you said, is something we don't really get in early Excalibur. I like her rough around the edges side.

As for the current situation, the Captain Avalon role is something I'd like to see changed because I agree that he should be active in Britain. It worked during X of Swords and that time period because their brother was king so it made sense to me. Not so much now with Arthur. I'd like to see Betsy have a successful run as CB to close out that story for her and I'd be okay with her focusing on Otherworld. But I know, and understand why, many fans want her back in the X-world. Ideally there would a balance and integration where she wouldn't have to give up one for the other.
    They could always go back to the late-90s "Britanic" name for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    They could always go back to the late-90s "Britanic" name for him.
    Works for me. I always liked that name.

The Britanic identity was hated by many of CB fans, though, so the name probably wouldn’t be popular. I’d rather he go by something like ‘Pendragon’ if he had to take an identity other than CB.

Happy new year Braddock fans!

I'm thinking the name/position might be temporary. I have a few theories about what's in store for Mr. Brian Braddock.
    Firstly, thanks for all the recaps and scans! I'm loving this trip down memory lane!

Secondly, I would love to hear your theories!

I wouldn't mind them building a duo as Captains or something with the sword for Betsy and the Amulet for Brian.Together with a costume makeover for both! (ideally, no capes, mask or hood for her)
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Happy new year Braddock fans!

Firstly, thanks for all the recaps and scans! I'm loving this trip down memory lane!

Secondly, I would love to hear your theories!

I wouldn't mind them building a duo as Captains or something with the sword for Betsy and the Amulet for Brian.Together with a costume makeover for both! (ideally, no capes, mask or hood for her)
    Happy New Year, MM! Hope you're well and that 2023 is treating you well thus far.

I actually really like the idea of duo Captains the more I roll it around in my head. Betsy with the sword and Brian with the amulet makes perfect sense so I can see them eventually switching. "Loose hair don't care" only please, agreed.

We'll have to see how deeply embedded in Britain's government Brousseau/Morgan/Coven have become since Betsy has been away. It's possible that a vacuum will be left once they defeat these magical foes and I can see Brian becoming more active in government. If not an actual politician (I can see him being PM one day) then working with the government to create a new sanctioned superhero team that he leads, with perhaps an emphasis on mutants to strengthen relations with Krakoa. Or he remains solo and works as a liaison/emissary between the two nations. With his whole family being dual citizens, I think it would be fun to explore this direction.

And if it's found to be very difficult to sever the grip Brousseau/Coven has on Britain and this feud is more long-term, I can see him temporarily becoming Captain Krakoa to stick it to his government for alienating his family/mutants. That's more of a stretch but I like the implication of him saying you know what, I'll show you what unity looks like and I'll don their colors in solidarity.

Happy New Year, MM! Hope you're well and that 2023 is treating you well thus far.

I actually really like the idea of duo Captains the more I roll it around in my head. Betsy with the sword and Brian with the amulet makes perfect sense so I can see them eventually switching. "Loose hair don't care" only please, agreed.

We'll have to see how deeply embedded in Britain's government Brousseau/Morgan/Coven have become since Betsy has been away. It's possible that a vacuum will be left once they defeat these magical foes and I can see Brian becoming more active in government. If not an actual politician (I can see him being PM one day) then working with the government to create a new sanctioned superhero team that he leads, with perhaps an emphasis on mutants to strengthen relations with Krakoa. Or he remains solo and works as a liaison/emissary between the two nations. With his whole family being dual citizens, I think it would be fun to explore this direction.

And if it's found to be very difficult to sever the grip Brousseau/Coven has on Britain and this feud is more long-term, I can see him temporarily becoming Captain Krakoa to stick it to his government for alienating his family/mutants. That's more of a stretch but I like the implication of him saying you know what, I'll show you what unity looks like and I'll don their colors in solidarity.

I love your ideas for Brian as politician. I could see him and Betsy doing double duty as politician and psychic S.T.RI.K.E. agent "by day" and Captain Britains "by night".

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I love your ideas for Brian as politician. I could see him and Betsy doing double duty as politician and psychic S.T.RI.K.E. agent "by day" and Captain Britains "by night".
    I love it. I love the idea of them working together in connected roles.

I'm in a collage mood.

Last edited by JB; 01-31-2023 at 03:32 PM.

Jbenito suggested I show some of the work-in-progress on the design I’ve been struggling with. It’s a Captain Britain playing card design meant to celebrate the character up to the end of the UK comic. It’s all supposed to be in a flat style, with the background rendered in a restricted colour palette and the images simplified (I was going for a Art Deco style), but I’m still struggling to make it all work.

There were supposed to be cards for the other members of the cast, but I haven’t even finished this one yet.

Apart from not having finished the design, I’m still fiddling with the background colours, trying to decide if it should all be monochrome or if it should have a bit of blue in there.

Jbenito suggested I show some of the work-in-progress on the design I’ve been struggling with. It’s a Captain Britain playing card design meant to celebrate the character up to the end of the UK comic. It’s all supposed to be in a flat style, with the background rendered in a restricted colour palette and the images simplified (I was going for a Art Deco style), but I’m still struggling to make it all work.

There were supposed to be cards for the other members of the cast, but I haven’t even finished this one yet.

Apart from not having finished the design, I’m still fiddling with the background colours, trying to decide if it should all be monochrome or if it should have a bit of blue in there.
    Wow!!! I love it so much! These look amazing. I love card decks and your idea and execution are amazing. I also love those sketches in the back, you have amazing character work.

What other characters/cards are you planning to do?

Meggan is an obvious one, because she has her were-bat look and then her post warpie-attack look. Saturnyne has her psycho doppelgänger from that fascist Earth which again works with the mirroring idea of the cards. I thought Wardog (with the Special Executive in the background) would work well with Gatecrasher (and the Technet) as the mirror. Betsy I had planned with standard non-costume Betsy and CB Betsy as the mirror, because originally the deck of cards was supposed to be celebrating the CB strip; if I stuck to that period that would be the design, but that’s really pre-Betsy breaking out in her own and becoming a star, and the later looks would be more popular.
    Last edited by Panic; 01-13-2023 at 09:25 AM.

Your work is incredible and I'm glad you posted these. As I mentioned, your details are amazing and you totally capture Brian's vibe. There's so many fun little things to find while running my eyes over the cards.

I like your ideas for the other character cards too.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

These are GORGEOUS, you're very talented!

Meggan is an obvious one, because she has her were-bat look and then her post warpie-attack look. Saturnyne has her psycho doppelgänger from that fascist Earth which again works with the mirroring idea of the cards. I thought Wardog (with the Special Executive in the background) would work well with Gatecrasher (and the Technet) as the mirror. Betsy I had planned with standard non-costume Betsy and CB Betsy as the mirror, because originally the deck of cards was supposed to be celebrating the CB strip; if I stuck to that period that would be the design, but that’s really pre-Betsy breaking out in her own and becoming a star, and the later looks would be more popular.
    Those are all very cool ideas. Can't wait to see them all. Betsy could be in her pink costume and CB Betsy old school Betsy. The pink costume only came to be in the X-Men costumes but it could be a stretch that could work ... But she had also some amazing civilian looks back in the day, so it will be fabulous anyway I'm sure.