View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Blue Beetle?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Garrett

0 0%
  • Ted Kord

36 48.00%
  • Jaime Reyes

39 52.00%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From a film critic:

"Impressed by the pop culture details & historical references in BLUE BEETLE. From MACARIO, to CRONOS, and El CHAPULÍN COLORADO. But even more so that the infamous School of the Americas is integral to the story. This is the work of filmmakers who know & care about Latin America."
    https://twitter.com/Carlos_Film/stat...35662587756545

The Wrap's Umberto Gonzalez:

"#BlueBeetle is here & Latinos FINALLY have a superhero of their own reflected on the big screen. The film is so incredibly good, so unique & delivers on all fronts giving the superhero genre much needed sazón! The film 's Tangerine Dream inspired synthwave score also rocks!"
    https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status...45436055236611

Brandon Davis (ComicBook.com):

"The #BlueBeetle movie is mostly a blast.

Some is too silly or childish for me, a lot had me laughing loud (George Lopez!). Practical suit rocks. The Latino representation is awesome.

Enjoyed the family-centric stakes, solid action beats. Overall, it’s fun."

https://twitter.com/brandondavisbd/s...46640227241985

Music score by Bobby Krlic:

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-11-2023 at 10:22 AM.

All of that sounds amazing! Really rooting for this film! Also the score sounds so good and unique
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Reviews are dropping and thus far are good! Maybe word of mouth will help BB at the box office.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Reviews are dropping and thus far are good! Maybe word of mouth will help BB at the box office.
    So happy the positive early reactions were seemingly accurate!

Let’s see if the good reviews will overcome the moviegoing public’s general hatred and distrust of the DC brand. Hopefully word of mouth will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Glad to hear it .

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Sasha from Causally Comics takes a look at Jaime Reyes.

Just got back from watching Blue Beetle. Loved it! Xolo and the cast are great and it is indeed unapologetic Latino. It’s just a solid superhero flick all around. I won’t go into spoilers but it was a lot of fun. Ted may not be physically in it but his presence is definitely felt.

I can understand why some critics gave it a negative review though. If you don’t care about the cultural significance of the movie or the references and are maybe not a big fan of the genre, it’s just a solid superhero movie which at this point we get multiple times a year. The main complaint is “we’ve seen it all before”. Not Blue Beetle’s fault. It’s just the state of the superhero movie world.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-18-2023 at 01:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Just got back from watching Blue Beetle. Loved it! Xolo and the cast are great and it is indeed unapologetic Latino. It’s just a solid superhero flick all around. I won’t go into spoilers but it was a lot of fun. Ted may not be physically in it but his presence is definitely felt.

I can understand why some critics gave it a negative review though. If you don’t care about the cultural significance of the movie or the references and are maybe not a big fan of the genre, it’s just a solid superhero movie which at this point we get multiple times a year. The main complaint is “we’ve seen it all before”. Not Blue Beetle’s fault. It’s just the state of the superhero movie world.
    Sounds good to me

I'm going to see it with my Mexican girlfriend tomorrow, we'll see how it does.

Blue Beetle is one of most enjoyable DC films (Jaime's first flight and the bugship's action were hilarious 💀 ) The neon colors give to the movie its own personality, the 3rd act was very good to me, the villains while forgettable do serve the story just fine. A lot from the Blue Beetles lore is referenced and more to come is teased: spoilers:
    Ted Kord returns in a potential sequel
    end of spoilers Or it could be repurposed for the Booster Gold show?

Is it me or spoilers:
    Ted Kord looked like Jason Sudeikis with a beard in that family painting?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-18-2023 at 01:50 PM.

The comics that inspired the Blue Beetle film: https://twitter.com/DCOfficial/statu...90651705028905

Awesome to hear .

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

It will definitely be harsher since its a superhero movie but....that can be said about most movies. Critics also have to take into consideration where this was originally meant to air and it wasnt in a theater.

Watched it today. Some thoughts below.

spoilers:
    I liked it. Xolo is just a really cool dude, you can't help cheer for him. I agree with what some reviewers have said, Blue Beetle was just as much about Jaime's family as it was about him. They were the supporting character in all of this. The scene between Jaime and his father resonated a lot with me.

I appreciated the Latin culture in all of this. The film reminded me of the experiences that many of my students and past co-teachers have had. At the same time, I drew a lot of parallels with my Filipino/Chinese background as well. I teared up a bit with the shrine to the Virgin Mary (also Lady of Guadalupe?). My mom has that too. As a history teacher, I wringed my hands when I saw the background of Carapax. He is the result of what the United States had done in Latin America. Just very tragic and his backstory sticks with me the most. Finally, I geeked out seeing some of these actors. Sure, I'm a huge Cobra Kai fan so Xolo was awesome. But Xolo's mom was played by THE Elpidia Carrillo, the actor who played Anna in Predator! So cool!

Part of me feels like there could have been more of a connection between Jennifer and Jaime's family. Now, we all know she was accepted by the family throughout the movie. Awesome that Jennifer and Jaime hook up at the end. But as someone who's really fascinated by cross-cultural mingling, especially among Latinos, I wanted to see more of Jennifer's Brazilian side interact with Jaime and his family. I think there was a scene, especially on the bug ship, where you somewhat saw Jennifer understand the Spanish. I would have liked to see that more explicitly shown. It would have been cool to see more scenes of Jennifer understanding what the family was saying and vice versa. Maybe Jennifer speaks in Portuguese with the family as they speak to her in Spanish. Again, it was cool as it was, but I feel more could have been displayed.

As a Ted Kord fan, I appreciated how they respected Ted, especially with all of his gadgets and tech. I hope that he does show up!

For me, the weakest parts were the action scenes. They were cool, but a little unclear. Also, the princers on the back were distracting.

Overall, yeah, this movie was fun. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.
    end of spoilers
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."