Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

What's the word on X-Men '97? Yay or nay?

I read the spoilers, and I'm cautiously--- and I do mean cautiously--- optimistic despite my apprehensions when I first heard about it. Call me a pessimistic Cyke fan but, post-AvX, I really don't trust DisMarvel when it comes to Cyke. That, and Cyke wasn't exactly the highlight of the X-Men: TAS of my childhood.

The spoiler did sound pretty good though.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Yes, I'm just on site right now. The fun of having a job when the building isn't complete yet. Travel for training! This week is Bowling Green.
    Good to hear. Was worried you'd stopped. Looking forward to the next post

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    What's the word on X-Men '97? Yay or nay?

I read the spoilers, and I'm cautiously--- and I do mean cautiously--- optimistic despite my apprehensions when I first heard about it. Call me a pessimistic Cyke fan but, post-AvX, I really don't trust DisMarvel when it comes to Cyke. That, and Cyke wasn't exactly the highlight of the X-Men: TAS of my childhood.

The spoiler did sound pretty good though.
    Just read Maddy will be there too so I am somewhat apprehensive myself.

Also just to confirm : If you are the author of Shuffle or Boogie then your series wonderful and I hope you find plenty of inspiration in X-Men 97 to continue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas View Post
    Also just to confirm : If you are the author of Shuffle or Boogie then your series wonderful and I hope you find plenty of inspiration in X-Men 97 to continue.
    Thanks. SoB was honestly just me being a frustrated Cyke-fan post-AvX. Now, though-- almost a decade later-- I'm kinda just ambivalent to everything, and mostly just check on this thread to see if anything interesting is happening to our boi. That, and I've been enjoying Manhwa and indie comics a heckuvalot more now hahaha

I'll see how X-Men '97 pans out. I do kinda wanna see Maddie done right but, at the same time, I don't have much faith in Marvel's writing for a while now. At least the bar's set low for me, I guess.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

A funny video, but still, it says a lot about how Marvel sees Jott. That's why I prefer Scemma.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by R+R View Post

A funny video, but still, it says a lot about how Marvel sees Jott. That's why I prefer Scemma.
    I'd say it equally trolls Jean as much as Cyke but, yeah, Marvel's view on Jott ain't too good.
    Let your wallet talk.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    I'd say it equally trolls Jean as much as Cyke but, yeah, Marvel's view on Jott ain't too good.
    Marvel's view on any relationship is pure drama fuel.

Actually letting that relationship be a relationship? Nah...

Stefano Caselli draw Scott very handsome. It would be nice to have a Scott run without the viewfinder(besides Whedon's run) drawn by him.

Mighty Member

Wrote this on another post but its relevant here:

Writers are always putting Scott through the wringer. Either in ways like this which is in a physical sense or even in a psychological one. He makes bad decisions and often takes the brunt of verbal and physical attacks from allies. Still even with his character changes in the most recent years. I love the fact that he isn't written an all powerful, barely makes mistakes, type of character. When I think of the X-men, he comes to mind first. He isn't my favorite character but my favorite X-Men characters are characters written with flaws and not all powerful. The best mutants IMO are one who can't hide that they are mutants or powers have a major drawback. Cyke is the quintessential X-Man.

fall of x doesn’t look good for summers family. Jean dead, Scott paralyzed, teen cable frozen and captured, something will probably happen to havok, old cable is also captured

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post

Writers are always putting Scott through the wringer. Either in ways like this which is in a physical sense or even in a psychological one. He makes bad decisions and often takes the brunt of verbal and physical attacks from allies. Still even with his character changes in the most recent years. I love the fact that he isn't written an all powerful, barely makes mistakes, type of character. When I think of the X-men, he comes to mind first. He isn't my favorite character but my favorite X-Men characters are characters written with flaws and not all powerful. The best mutants IMO are one who can't hide that they are mutants or powers have a major drawback. Cyke is the quintessential X-Man.
    Cyke's kinda like Spidey to me, except Cyke's forced to lead a team. Like, Cyke's on either end of two extremes: either dude leads a team superbly at the cost of personal relationships, or he tries to find personal happiness but the team / mutant's goals suffer. I feel like that's where Cyke's character shines the most.

He makes the hard decisions / asks the hard questions nobody wants to make, but are absolutely necessary.

Too bad that Cyke is long gone and he's just a background character / jobber, now.
    Let your wallet talk.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post

I have no problem with writers putting characters I like through the wringer (I love Daredevil and Outlander).

When a character faces problems, defeat, have flaws and make bad decisions, but we still get to see them soldiering on, sometimes for heroic purposes or just pure stubbornness is really something to see, like Daredevil, the guy have lost so much, made so many mistakes but he keeps going and fighting.
    It's different from what is happening to Cyclops right now, he is just getting his ass kicked as a way to show ho dire things are for mutants while other characters get the spotlight.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I have no problem with writers putting characters I like through the wringer (I love Daredevil and Outlander).

When a character faces problems, defeat, have flaws and make bad decisions, but we still get to see them soldiering on, sometimes for heroic purposes or just pure stubbornness is really something to see, like Daredevil, the guy have lost so much, made so many mistakes but he keeps going and fighting.
    It's different from what is happening to Cyclops right now, he is just getting his ass kicked as a way to show ho dire things are for mutants while other characters get the spotlight.
    This broke me, anyone can be a better leader than Cyclops.

img.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post

I don't think they are only using him to prop up other characters. At the beggining of the Krakoa era Hickman made sure to show how he had everything and everyone who loved, he was happy and he didn't need to be the leader of mutantkind anymore.
    All of that falling apart, makes a lot of narrative sense to emulate the fall of the entire era. As far as he knows mutantkind is at an even worse place than after M-day, but now he is restrained, druged, blinded, paralized and with the world likely believing him to be dead.
    He is at the perfect narrative place for whathever he does next being the breaking point of the current narrative, whether it is the X-men rescuing him ahowing there is hope, or him going full Basilisk and blowing the prison up showing the resistance starting to get the upper hand

I wonder if Emma will find Cyclops and push him around in a wheelchair like Moira and Xavier
    We might get General Cyclops back