Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Ahhh, extinction plots and love triangle drama... it's like we time-traveled back to the 90's only this Scott has no competency. :/

Fantastic Member

These are just rumors right now. I swear does being a cyclops fan we all gotta be so damn down and negative lol

With the rumors that James Marsden will be returning as Cyclops, does anybody think he's still good casting that was only hurt by writing or that Marsden wasn't a charismatic enough actor to compete with Hugh Jackman no matter how he may have been written?

I think Marsden's height didn't help. I know lots of casual X-Men fans who only watch the movies who felt Logan and Jean were a done deal just because they both towered over Scott in scenes together. And this is even after they had James standing on boxes and Famke not wearing shoes to make him look taller but onscreen he still looked shorter.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    With the rumors that James Marsden will be returning as Cyclops, does anybody think he's still good casting that was only hurt by writing or that Marsden wasn't a charismatic enough actor to compete with Hugh Jackman no matter how he may have been written?

I think Marsden's height didn't help. I know lots of casual X-Men fans who only watch the movies who felt Logan and Jean were a done deal just because they both towered over Scott in scenes together. And this is even after they had James standing on boxes and Famke not wearing shoes to make him look taller but onscreen he still looked shorter.
    It's extremely hard to gauge what he did because he had so little to do. I think he'd be a good Corsair Summers though.

He was failed by the writing, but even worse by the editing. Whoever was in charge of what scenes to cut hated his guts. Whether or not that is Marsden or Cyclops I can't tell, but the amount of his scenes specifically that were cut seems nothing short of malicious.

If they had been willing to establish him as being equal to Logan's level I stead of devoting scenes to cutting him down things may have been different.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    These are just rumors right now. I swear does being a cyclops fan we all gotta be so damn down and negative lol
    To be fair, there's not much to be positive about, lol.

James is a really good actor, but the second Logan stole his car and *that* song came on, he was never going to ditch the square/dork/wimp label. And it certainly doesn't help that the only memorable moments for him are either completely unscripted or the very last scene he was in where he finally showed some actual backbone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    James is a really good actor, but the second Logan stole his car and *that* song came on, he was never going to ditch the square/dork/wimp label. And it certainly doesn't help that the only memorable moments for him are either completely unscripted or the very last scene he was in where he finally showed some actual backbone.
    What moments did he have in the movies that were unscripted? The only one I can think of is the scene in the first movie where he smiles at the boy at the train station. The little boy was an extra whose favorite X-Man was Cyclops so he kept smiling at James which is why James smiled at him. Bryan Singer saw that and liked it enough to put it in the movie, adding the part where the boy's mom takes him away.

And by last scene, you mean his DOFP scene right?

For all I've seen from Marsden he is a good actor, but he is not a specially charismatic one. Some actors (Hugh Jackman is an ironically example) can steal a scene even if the script doesn't favor them, others can't, it's not really a matter of acting talent, but more of charisma.

Marsden is good, if the scripit and direction had allowed he could have shined, but from the get go that movie was about Wolverine and Cyclops didn't stand a chance, maybe if he was played by Brad Pitt or Gerge Clooney he could have had one.

What moments did he have in the movies that were unscripted? The only one I can think of is the scene in the first movie where he smiles at the boy at the train station. The little boy was an extra whose favorite X-Man was Cyclops so he kept smiling at James which is why James smiled at him. Bryan Singer saw that and liked it enough to put it in the movie, adding the part where the boy's mom takes him away.
    Just that scene.

And by last scene, you mean his DOFP scene right?
    Yes.

Just read that X-men #28 is going to have a variant cover with Cyclops by Miguel Mercado, I wonder whether it is a generic and/or disconnected thing (like most variants tend to be) or if it's going to have something to do with the previous issue

Also, a Cyclops was right poster appeared in Thor #1 yesterday with his 90s costume

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    Just read that X-men #28 is going to have a variant cover with Cyclops by Miguel Mercado, I wonder whether it is a generic and/or disconnected thing (like most variants tend to be) or if it's going to have something to do with the previous issue

Also, a Cyclops was right poster appeared in Thor #1 yesterday with his 90s costume
    And didn’t the latest daredevil issue also have a panel where we could see a graffiti with cyclops was right. Hmm wonder if it means something

Quote Originally Posted by Braxxer View Post
    And didn’t the latest daredevil issue also have a panel where we could see a graffiti with cyclops was right. Hmm wonder if it means something
    I doubt it means something is going to be done with it. Its likely just a way to show mutant pride and counterculture siding with mutants.
    The reason why its Cyclops and not Xavier or Magneto imo its because of the post AvX, while Xavier is seen as the pacifist and Magneto as a supremacist, Cyclops is the face of violent resistance against oppression. And it isn't a coincidence that in his argument with Jean he talked about wanting to be there for LGBTQ humans (in the wall where the sign appeared in Thor the other sign was a trans flag)

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post

The best Cyclops appearance in more than one year.

Cyclops in Jean Grey #1:

"Scott's right!"

Probably have Jean swapping Scott for Logan again in another story lol

The treatment Scott is currently getting is no different than what he got in the Fox movies.

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/08/25/ex...k-jean-grey-2/