Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by R+R View Post
    An interesting interview with Jonathan Hickman answering questions about AvX #6 written by him.

The interviewer tries to make Scott seem cruel and dictator, but Hickman just denies(lol):

"I don't think Cyclops feels that he's being cruel or spiteful."

"She's(Hope) a kid. Kids are dumb, and Scott has the wisdom to know that the world needs to be a better."

The interviewer: At the bottom of this page the U.S. President offers up a counterpoint to Cyclops' speech when he says, "When the world works it is because there has always been some outlying culture of accountability. Right now these X-Men do not have that... And something needs to be done." What exactly is the president saying here?

Jonathan Hickman: The premise of what the president is saying is basically that throughout history nations in power unchecked by anything always run amok. So he's saying there has to be some type of balance, and that's also the history of the world. Let's be honest, there's no way that many of the governments on this planet would accept a higher authority.

So he's not wrong or evil at all. The President just has this view of the world and it's a realist one. It's not the way Scott and the others see things.

https://www.cbr.com/avx-commentary-t...onus-features/

Cyclops was definitely not being written as a cruel dictator here.
    The best description I have heard, at least for a short description is that Scott didn't become Magneto, he became Cable.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I forgot this important part:

The Panther is listening to Cyclops tell the UN delegates the Phoenix Five will no longer allow war in the world. I'm curious about Cyclops' state of mind as he delivers this address. Does he still feel any love or kinship with his fellow man? Or does he basically view himself as above them?

Jonathan Hickman: They're not his fellow "man" though. Mankind and mutantkind are not the same thing. I would argue at this point Scott is totally invested in being a mutant leader and he clings tightly to the idea of Charles Xavier's dream of man and mutant living in harmony, which is why he's doing the thing that he's doing. He just wants cohabitation though.

Plus he has a long history of knowing that man left to his own devices means a world not a safe place for other men or mutants.
    Last edited by R+R; 09-21-2023 at 02:07 PM.

Cyclops in the cover of Immortal X-Men #18.

"FOREVER CHANGES!

Being immortal means nothing when you’ve run out of time. There’s no future. There’s no past. There’s no way out."

I'm really looking forward to this.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Cyclops finally leaving Duggan's X-Men and being taken care of by Gillen? Scott, Emma and Jean working together? Will they be part of the new Quiet Council? There are so many good possibilities.

First I would like to say, it's telling the fact the most interesting and enthusiastic discussion about Cyclops we have in times is about stories over a decade old. It highlights the fact that for the past 5 years at least, the character have been insignificant, with very little interesting done to him.

As many here, the 2000s is also my favorite Cyclops period. I don't think it was Cyclops becoming more edge or something like that, what I liked the most is his leadership becoming his main character trait, for most of his existence, Scott's role as a leader was basically scream "attack!", saying they should train more or just give bad reviews to his teammates.

From Whedon's run forward, we actually got to see Cyclops making plans, putting his plans in execution, we got to see the weight his decisions had, the consequences, etc. Some of Cyclops biggest moments, didn't involved him getting into action, but just him displaying his tactical thinking.

But for some reason, storytellers don't seem to like writing good/successful leaders, the most success they have the more dubious or even evil are their actions. We can see this trend with Xavier (maybe the first to suffer from it), Reed Richards, Black Bolt, Batman, Aquaman, Odin, Cyclops and most recent Black Panther. If the leader in question happens to also be a monarch it's even worse.

So, at some point the writers/editorial decided they wanted Scott to go bad, not just morally grey, but actually become the enemy, that's when we got AvX.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 09-21-2023 at 02:59 PM.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Meh, AvX was all about putting the Avengers back on their "best-selling" pedestal that an X-book was unfortunately sitting on at the time. Whoever was leading the X-Men was always gonna get slapped with the "villain" label just to make the whole stupid mess work.

Being so willing to self-sabotage one of your pillars to *that* extent just because of movie rights is honestly insane.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Meh, AvX was all about putting the Avengers back on their "best-selling" pedestal that an X-book was unfortunately sitting on at the time. Whoever was leading the X-Men was always gonna get slapped with the "villain" label just to make the whole stupid mess work.

Being so willing to self-sabotage one of your pillars to *that* extent just because of movie rights is honestly insane.
    Dude. Remember Marvel trying to replace the Mutants with the Inhumans? Hah!
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

The development of Cyclops in the 00s and early 10s is what made it interesting to many people. His most popular moments come from that time. Cyclops has been left aside since 2019. But until when? He is one of the most iconic X-Men. If Marvel doesn't have plans for him, why force him into the books yet?

Quote Originally Posted by R+R View Post
    Cyclops in the cover of Immortal X-Men #18.

"FOREVER CHANGES!

Being immortal means nothing when you’ve run out of time. There’s no future. There’s no past. There’s no way out."
    Cyclops won't even be on the book, he is in the cover because he is a well known x-character, nothing more.

When this comic is taking place, Scott will probably be getting tortured off page, while Duggan continues to write the The Saga of Kitty Pryde he started in Marauders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Cyclops won't even be on the book, he is in the cover because he is a well known x-character, nothing more.

When this comic is taking place, Scott will probably be getting tortured off page, while Duggan continues to write the The Saga of Kitty Pryde he started in Marauders.
    I doubt that he will remain captive after his issue in X-men 27,also by december the X-men comic enters into a new sub-arc with the Doom X-men so I don't think there's a chance that they would just leave that unresolved

Though Scott is on the cover to Immortal X-men we don't know yet if he will appear. I do hope we see someone rescue Cyclops soon. I want to see Scott work against Orchis with the resistance. I thought it would be nice to have Emma and/or Shadowkat rescue Scott.

If Scott is in the Immortal issue maybe Jean finds him when she returns.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Though Scott is on the cover to Immortal X-men we don't know yet if he will appear. I do hope we see someone rescue Cyclops soon. I want to see Scott work against Orchis with the resistance. I thought it would be nice to have Emma and/or Shadowkat rescue Scott.

If Scott is in the Immortal issue maybe Jean finds him when she returns.
    We'll probably get an answer in X men 27 yeah.
    Personally, I don't particularly want to see Scott being saved by mighty Kate. Nothing against her but, it's been a year since Scott did anything but get punched or lose fights. Paralyzed or not, I would love to see him escape on his own in an intelligent and creative way.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CapCyke View Post
    Personally, I don't particularly want to see Scott being saved by mighty Kate. Nothing against her but, it's been a year since Scott did anything but get punched or lose fights. Paralyzed or not, I would love to see him escape on his own in an intelligent and creative way.
    This. I'd prolly tune in for an issue if Cyke actually broke himself out.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CapCyke View Post
    Thanks, you just reminded me of the fanfic "Firebirds" by Antiochene.

Think I am going to have to spend my afternoon reading it now.