Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Does anyone have any Hellfire Gala spoilers? If you have it, please send it in DM

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I think the root of the problem is that Cyclops is in the background right now, in more than one way.

So the writer/artist have to show him in a page with 6 other character each one doing something, Cyclops is rarely the focus point, so they just have him shooting optic blasts at some goons. When he does get a moment, they want to show him using his powers, usually bouncing his blast in some objects.

The issue, is that we get a Cyclops who seems to have zero skills outside his powers, and his powers come off as nothing more than long ranged punches.
    Pretty much this in a nutshell. But I'd also add, we don't get to see absurdly-prepared!Clops or never-say-die!Clops anymore. Like, after the last convo on which Toon!Clops was the best, I rewatched the X-Men anime. That moment where Scott was tanking Armor's wild hits to get her to control her powers is peak Cyclops for me.

Quote Originally Posted by R+R View Post
    I don't know what some here think but I thought it was pretty cool to see Scott's development on the x-books in the 2000s and 2010s. It was interesting. Today we have some good stories but it doesn't seem to be the same. Before the characters really seemed to have more personality, now it seems like they are just reacting to the storyline.
    T'was the 2000s-onwards Clops that gradually made me a fan. Prior to that, I was a Wolverine fanboy, and W&XM was my favorite show.

Decimation, Messiah Complex, Dar Avengers/X-Men Utopia, Necrosha, Second Coming, Fear Itself, Gillen's run. Spent so much money and comics and enjoyed every bit of 'em.

And now, my Marvel pull list is zero hahahaha
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I think the root of the problem is that Cyclops is in the background right now, in more than one way.

So the writer/artist have to show him in a page with 6 other character each one doing something, Cyclops is rarely the focus point, so they just have him shooting optic blasts at some goons. When he does get a moment, they want to show him using his powers, usually bouncing his blast in some objects.

The issue, is that we get a Cyclops who seems to have zero skills outside his powers, and his powers come off as nothing more than long ranged punches.
    This is one of the major problems.

In my view (and I think others as well), Cyclops real power is leadership/tactics. Optic blasts is secondary to that.

If you don't show him leading then well you are getting a held back version of Cyclops.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas View Post
    This is one of the major problems.

In my view (and I think others as well), Cyclops real power is leadership/tactics. Optic blasts is secondary to that.

If you don't show him leading then well you are getting a held back version of Cyclops.
    Ideally, those blasts that rival nuclear power for output are the LEAST dangerous thing about Cyclops.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Alright, totally-not-cynical CyPoll of the week:

Will Cyclops' Gala glorified cameo end up with him being paralyzed from the waist or from the neck down?

Given that there's no teammate around to provide a telekinetic/magnetic/whatever field to cushion his fall, I'm assuming Duggan goes the "he can't take a punch, but he can survive being thrown off a building because that's totally how it works, duh".

Waist down is cheap and "slightly" on the nose, but from the neck down means there's nothing left to maim/torture and zero potential for BrokenClops crawling around imagery. I'll have to go with the former.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post

Will Cyclops' Gala glorified cameo end up with him being paralyzed from the waist or from the neck down?

Given that there's no teammate around to provide a telekinetic/magnetic/whatever field to cushion his fall, I'm assuming Duggan goes the "he can't take a punch, but he can survive being thrown off a building because that's totally how it works, duh".

Waist down is cheap and "slightly" on the nose, but from the neck down means there's nothing left to maim/torture and zero potential for BrokenClops crawling around imagery. I'll have to go with the former.
    He's apparently getting his eyes sewn shut.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post

Almost certainly has to be waist-down so he can be shown getting tortured for like 95% of FoX.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Ideally, those blasts that rival nuclear power for output are the LEAST dangerous thing about Cyclops.
    Exactly.

I've heard some spoilers from the Hellfire Gala and I say it's best to focus attention on Cyclops from X-Men '97. Looks like there will be no Madelyne Pryor in the animation to get him dirty.
    Last edited by R+R; 07-25-2023 at 07:42 AM.

Exactly.

I've heard some spoilers from the Hellfire Gala and I say it's best to focus attention on Cyclops from X-Men '97. Looks like there will be no Madelyne Pryor in the animation to get him dirty.
    Scott hasn't been well treated in ANY event since Krakoa started, His best showing was in X of Swords, where he didn't really participate until the very end, but was a positive part of the aftermath. Everywhere else he has either been an early death, possessed, or dismissed as unneeded on panel for the damned climax.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Does anyone have any Hellfire Gala spoilers? If you have it, please send it in DM
    spoilers:
    The X-Men dress like idiots and yuck it up with famous people. In a manner that is not at all consistent with the characters.
    end of spoilers
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

That... is not a spoiler.

Duggan's Cyclops is so pathetic. The 2000's and early 2010's made Cyclops a respectable leader, now he's useless. Maybe they should permanently retire him from the books if his only function is to be ridiculed.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

At this point, I don't even know what to say about his portrayal. It's an endless void. Could've done without the added insult to injury, however.

I'm not even sure I feel like returning to the X-books next year.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Mighty Member

Read the spoiler thread and I kinda shake my head at the fan reaction / outrage. Clearly, writer went for the shock factor to get people talking.

And it worked. Given that this is a comic book, we all know everyone's coming back at some point in time. Dudes just gonna hit a reset button of some kind so, eh.

All that said, I just think back to the army of Nimrods Cyke lead the X-Men against in Second Coming. And then I laugh at the Gala.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

It's definitely derivative, but that's not surprising.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia