Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by lancer View Post
    I can recite things that he is guilty of. I hated the writing for him at the time. I just think the word coward is more appropriate than abandoner. For this particular period of time. All in the eyes of the beholder, though. And I can relate to the people who couldn't get past this behavior based on their sensibilities. I could never get past the affair with Emma based on mine.
    Some good points, Lancer. Maybe that's what it is--the writing for him at the time. But I just think Scott's gotten worse since then.
    ==jthree

Quote Originally Posted by lancer View Post
    I would never get involved in this debate again except your feelings seem to somewhat mirror mine on the matter and that resonated. When I used to defend him I would call it quasi defending him because it wasn't because I liked or applauded the behavior. It was because he is being accused of things he didn't do. Criticize him for what he did.

By issue 2 he thinks she has left him. It's not there was no answer to his call. The phone number has been disconnected. I assume it's the point of Maddie's ultimatum in issue 1. Now, Scott can, with at least some degree of plausibility, believe that Maddie left him.

Issue 6 or 7. Probably 7 since Jean found out about Maddie in 6. Scott mentions calling everyone they know to see if anyone has any idea where she is. Nothing. He went back, in large part, because of Sara, Jean's sister. Her house was bombed. Some people close to mutants were being targeted. Scott started wondering if maybe something like that happened to Maddie.

Pull back from Jean? He would never let her get close from the start. He can barely look her in the eye in issue 1. Jean is mystified on why he is keeping her at a distance. Nothing is going to happen between them, he is too guilt ridden. They are not together until the mid 20s. A year's worth of comics after Scott believed she had died.

I can recite things that he is guilty of. I hated the writing for him at the time. I just think the word coward is more appropriate than abandoner. For this particular period of time. All in the eyes of the beholder, though. And I can relate to the people who couldn't get past this behavior based on their sensibilities. I could never get past the affair with Emma based on mine.
    Emotional cowardice is also how I would describe how things started with Emma - after the scene in New X-Men when a distraught Jean kisses Logan they cut to Scott and Emma with binoculars and Emma taunting "Just what am I supposed to be looking at?" The only way to imply harder that they were witnessed would have been to put the panel in two round circles to suggest being watched - or to openly state it in text. However, rather than confront this, Scott runs away from it. Personally I think there is (or at least WAS) a part of him that still thinks he is undeserving of happiness - a leftover from the abuse he suffered before joining the X-Men.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CapCyke View Post
    Yes, sadly, Cyke is no longer popular at X-events.
    Not gonna lie, I'm not too torn up over Cyke being sidelined/killed off for the Last Jedi chapter of the Krakoan era.

Not much of an upgrade in the traditional sense, but Scott is definitely getting a permanent boost to his Wisdom stat for this.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Not much of an upgrade in the traditional sense, but Scott is definitely getting a permanent boost to his Wisdom stat for this.

Scott: Why am i here? Just to suffer? I wanna go back to being Captain Cameo.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Scott: Why am I here? Just to suffer? I wanna go back to being Captain Cameo.
    Really, Metal Gear.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Yep. He's finally become self aware. There's nothing but trouble down that road.

It's the safest place he can be. Maybe....
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

More Scott incoming!

It’s a mutant mystery for the ages in X-MEN: BEFORE THE FALL – MUTANTS’ FIRST STRIKE #1, written by Steve Orlando and drawn by Valentina Pinti. A deadly mutant attacks an innocent small town, but nothing is what it seems. Jean Grey, Cyclops, and Bishop are tasked with a routine mission, but as they dig deeper, they uncover a hidden truth that will send shockwaves through mutantkind.

I know current Editorial wants Scott to be the nicest/least threatening person evah, but there's no way any sentient being (ever) wouldn't be inwardly laughing at their crazy ex's histrionics at this point.

I voted for Frenzy in the X-Men election, if for no other reason than to see Jean ask Scott if this is what having to watch Logan chase her all these years felt like.

All the stuff with Emma doesn't really qualify for that as no one was in a good place mentally at the time. Scott was suffering a PTSD relapse and Jean was dealing with the return of the Great Cosmic Turkey, all while having their lives shaken up by Cassandra Nova (pretending to be Xavier) outing the entire team without warning - remove any of those things and nothing happens on the Emma front.
    Dark does not mean deep.

All-New Member

Anyone hoping that as part of whatever line shakeup will happen with this Fall of X that Scott will become a core cast of whatever book that Gillen is writing. I know its a longshot but even the crumbs of his Cyclops in Immortal has been better than we have been getting from the "main" X-men book for the last few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    Anyone hoping that as part of whatever line shakeup will happen with this Fall of X that Scott will become a core cast of whatever book that Gillen is writing.
    Nah. I'll take a serviceable Cyclops written by a less talented writer over Gillen's next commercial flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    I know its a longshot but even the crumbs of his Cyclops in Immortal has been better than we have been getting from the "main" X-men book for the last few months.
    That "If you can't tell a Sentinel and Kaiju apart, you need to step down ASAP" bit was indeed one of the funniest Cyclops-related bits of the Krakoan era.

All-New Member

Nah. I'll take a serviceable Cyclops written by a less talented writer over Gillen's next commercial flop.

That "If you can't tell a Sentinel and Kaiju apart, you need to step down ASAP" bit was indeed one of the funniest Cyclops-related bits of the Krakoan era.
    Is Gillen not a decent seller? I was under the impression that Immortal is the biggest seller in the X-line right now and hes been successful in his independent stuff.

My problem right now is that the writer that is supposedly to be in charge of Scott doesn't actually seem to actually have much interest in writing him. For the supposedly leader of the X-men team, hes been basically invisible in his own book since this second roster got introduced.

At the very least I feel like Gillen has an affection for the character, given how much hes popped up/referenced in Immortal. And since Gillen (along with Ewing) is the ones that is pushing the narrative forward right now he would actually have a decent role again (for example, Scott should be at the forefront at dealing with all this Sinister shennigans).

The best scenario we could hope for is Cyclops getting to be the star in a side book, like Marauders, with a writer who actually is interested in the character. I don't have much hope of Gillen picking Scott for whatever he is doing next, my impression is that his Uncanny X-Men and the amazing characterization he gave Cyclops was just he executing really well the job that was given to him.

I don't think, now that he have much more power, will be interested in writing Scott long term, his interests are Sinister, Emma and Destiny, just like Ewing's are Storm, Sunspot and Cable.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The best scenario we could hope for is Cyclops getting to be the star in a side book, like Marauders, with a writer who actually is interested in the character. I don't have much hope of Gillen picking Scott for whatever he is doing next, my impression is that his Uncanny X-Men and the amazing characterization he gave Cyclops was just he executing really well the job that was given to him.

I don't think, now that he have much more power, will be interested in writing Scott long term, his interests are Sinister, Emma and Destiny, just like Ewing's are Storm, Sunspot and Cable.
    Not sure if I agree that he was just executing the job given to him lol. We all know the Cyclops Gillen wrote was completely different than his portrayal almost everywhere else/how Marvel was trying to sell him as during that period (aka religious fanatic mutant supremacist) so I doubt Marvel gave Gillen the directive to write Cyclops with that complex charaterization and justifiable positions.

And maybe this is just me reading with Cyclops fan googles on but I feel like he's been used more by Gillen in this Immortal run so far than anyone else other than the actual Quiet Council members. For example, the Summers Protocol stuff was not something he needed to add in and even in the latest Xavier focused issue, Scott was the one that got additional attention out of Xavier's students/children in his monologue.

Ultimately, his Uncanny X-men Cyclops is still the definitive version for me so I am hoping he does have interest in the character and wants to write him again.