Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

So, any thoughts on how Kate is being presented in the new Outsiders book?
    I haven't read it yet, but going by the preview and what I've heard about #1, I'd sum it up as inaccurate, lol.

Hopefully it gets better in the later issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    So, any thoughts on how Kate is being presented in the new Outsiders book?
    I haven't read it yet, but going by the preview and what I've heard about #1, I'd sum it up as inaccurate, lol.

Hopefully it gets better in the later issues.
    Way, way too quippy, and quippy about things she'd never quip about, like her dead mom or another woman's age. She's coming off as an everyman audience surrogate character, which is bizarre considering the experiences and expertise she has. I'm not convinced the writers have actually read anything about her besides her DC Encyclopedia entries, and I'm not too certain about that, either. This felt like a generic Marvel protagonist wearing Kate Kane's skin like a suit.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Way, way too quippy, and quippy about things she'd never quip about, like her dead mom or another woman's age. She's coming off as an everyman audience surrogate character, which is bizarre considering the experiences and expertise she has. I'm not convinced the writers have actually read anything about her besides her DC Encyclopedia entries, and I'm not too certain about that, either. This felt like a generic Marvel protagonist wearing Kate Kane's skin like a suit.
    Why do comic writers nowadays hate to do any basic research? I feel like most comic writers today have a clear disdain towards the medium and feel its a chore to read past comic books to understand the character.

Ironic that the writers respected the medium more back in the day when it was targeted to kids.

Hm, so list of things the writers have gotten wrong so far:

• Personality - quippy, chatty - she's usually more stoic but with a dry sense of humor
    • The wig - no one made her wear it, she chose to wear it, so why hate it now?
    • Training - the writers have implied Batman trained her
    • Kate's level of involvement in Bat-Family dramas - it's implied she is burnt-out on the multiple family dramas, but Kate has barely been involved in most of them
    • Kate and Luke's relationship is a little off, as though the writers don't know about their past friendship in 'Tec

I'm hoping I enjoy it. I previously mentioned I would buy 2 copies, for at least the first 2 or 3 issues.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Hm, so list of things the writers have gotten wrong so far:

• Personality - quippy, chatty - she's usually more stoic but with a dry sense of humor
    • The wig - no one made her wear it, she chose to wear it, so why hate it now?
    • Training - the writers have implied Batman trained her
    • Kate's level of involvement in Bat-Family dramas - it's implied she is burnt-out on the multiple family dramas, but Kate has barely been involved in most of them
    • Kate and Luke's relationship is a little off, as though the writers don't know about their past friendship in 'Tec
    IIRC, the last Batfam drama Kate was involved in was the whole "killed Clayface" incident. Was she even in Gotham War?

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    IIRC, the last Batfam drama Kate was involved in was the whole "killed Clayface" incident. Was she even in Gotham War?
    She was... for precisely 4 panels. 3 of which were in the same issue.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    [/QUOTE]

She was also in Joker War where she teamed-up with Batman, and had a tie-in issue for Fear State where she teamed-up with Cass. Additionally, she was in Shadows of the Bat where she teamed-up with most of the Bat-Family. These are mostly short cameos, but she was actually present for the events in some way (some of time at least), she just didn't contribute much.

She makes a appearance in World's finest in KC arc

IMG_4370.jpg

Outsiders #4 Variant:

Cover: Otto Schmidt

Solicit:

UNIVERSE-SHAKING SECRETS UNCOVERED! Luke Fox assembled the Outsiders to brave the unknown. To discover the forgotten, to bring the hidden to light, and to use the truth underneath them all to find a better way forward. Little does he know the Drummer has a plan of her own—and she’s one step closer to bringing it to fruition! Something happened at the turn of the millennium that shook the universe, and in this pivotal chapter, the Outsiders head into the strange shadows of London’s underground to discover just what—or who—is at the center of this new crisis!

Kate's hair seems to be long again in this variant, but on the main cover it's still short.

Cover: Roger Cruz

Hello Again. Can anybody give me recommendations for comics that focus on Kate Kane and Renee Montoya's relationship?.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelARPGFan View Post
    Hello Again. Can anybody give me recommendations for comics that focus on Kate Kane and Renee Montoya's relationship?.
    If you want to go way back there is the 52 with Renee as the Question, and featuring Kate's debut as Batwoman. Next you might like Batwoman Elegy which has flashbacks to their relationship. Batwoman's second solo (2017) features Renee. Last of all there is Convergence, although that is non-cannon I think.

https://www.dc.com/graphic-novels/52-2006/52-omnibus

https://www.dc.com/graphic-novels/de...batwoman-elegy

https://static.dc.com/dc/files/defau...4213.jpg?w=640

https://www.dc.com/comics/convergenc...the-question-2

And that's all that comes to mind. There might be some other small appearances here and there that I've missed, but this should be the bulk. Their relationship is very on and off, currently off again in continuity right now.

There was also 52 Aftermath: Crime Bible: Five Lessons of Blood
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    There was also 52 Aftermath: Crime Bible: Five Lessons of Blood
    Ah, thanks, I haven't actually read that series. Knew I'd miss a few.

https://www.dc.com/comics/crime-bibl...ons-of-blood-1