Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What kind of character appeals to you?

Inspired by the "favourite character" thread, I got the idea for this one. It's not a favourite hero/villain thread, it's a favourite type of character thread. So, post what exactly you look for in a character (in any medium). Do you like clean cut heroes, anti-heroes, tragic characters, villains with redeeming qualities? I'll start:

I was always drawn to characters who were both down to earth and otherworldly. Both godly, and human. Both good and evil. To get to the point, I was never a fan of the regular selfless hero who'll sacrifice everything at the blink of an eye. I like tragedy in my stories, maybe due to reading a lot of mythology when I was a toddler, I always liked a character who could snap at any moment, who could go all bananas, yet, he held it together. Parker was like that. He had every reason to snap, yet he kept going. Moon Knight is like that. Deadpool, Tony, T'Challa, Strange etc... Some are more heroic than others, but they all share the same tragedy in their lives. They are constantly plagued by an "evil" but they manage to overcome it most of the time. But even geniuses, sorcerers and kings fall, just like humans. That gives them a certain humanity that is only evident through their shortcomings.

Moving on, you get the more "evil" characters like Doom, Luthor, Zemo, Vader, Fury, Walter White, Hellblazer, etc. Most of these are manipulative bastards who either care only for themselves, yet go against their way to actually help from time to time, or think that they will be able to help if the world lets them to. They, too, have tragic pasts and are the polar opposites of the other type of character I enjoy. Damaged and evil with a few good deeds, as opposed to damaged and good with a few evil deeds.

So, to summarize, I'd say that I like tragic, intelligent characters with unimaginable power (for the most part) but human and flawed enough to be able to lose it. The fact that they do makes them real, and the fact that they don't makes them great.

Wow, first I would like to say that this is a very intriguing question and it’s really forcing me to think because every time I type up an answer, I find myself thinking “There are plenty of characters with those traits that I Don’t like, so what else am I forgetting”? I certainly appreciate you for asking it.

For starters, I would a like a character to grow in regards to their character/personality whether it be mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It doesn’t have to be major, just something interesting enough that has a lot of potential for the reader’s mind to go wild with ideas to branch off from it. Some characters are fortunate enough to have more than one writer who can put their own unique spin on the characters growth and still have potential for more change in some form.

That’s generic and now I’m trying to analyze my favorite versions of characters that I enjoy to see if there are any similarities that they all share whether it’s how they process information, motives, upbringing, culture, experiences, intelligence since all these can certainly influence one’s personality along with other factors that I’ve probably neglected to mention. But, this will take a while.

I wish I had a more specific answer to give you because I’m really going to have to ponder on this (that is if I can find time).

I guess I’ll list my favorite versions of certain characters:
    Starlin, Giffen, and Marz’s Thanos
    Starlin’s Adam Warlock
    Duggan & Posehn, Kelly, Nicieza’s Deadpool
    Lee, Stern, Englehart, Brunner, Vaughn’s Doctor Strange
    Last edited by pinoypanzer; 09-04-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Intelligent, complicated characters who are usually composed, but can break down when it's necessary. I like heroes who have no problems with stepping into the grey areas, and will kill if necessary. Characters who exceed or subvert expectations of readers and/or other characters -- Taskmaster was expected by a lot of people to be planning to screw over the Secret Avengers, but instead he went out of his way to save Mockingbird and was genuinely loyal to the heroes, Mockingbird herself shocked the Phantom Rider by not being afraid of him or as easy to control as he expected her to be, Hawkeye shocked the Skrulls by snapping and killing them for replacing Bobbi twice.

I mostly like clean cut heroes who can find a third option instead of going into the gray/black area.

I like a bad azz , who gets the job done ...

All-New Member

I tend to like the conflicted characters myself. Oftentimes, they are the ones who are placed in leadership positions rather reluctantly. Whereas the enemies they face and the natural tensions between members of a team are great threats, the greatest threats these characters face are themselves. The biggest example I can think of is Havok during the early 90's X-Factor run. There was one issue where he and Cyclops are playing racquetball and discussing their respective X-team leaderships at the time. They have a fun, lighthearted exchange, and Scott is actually very supportive of Alex in spite of his constant worries, as far as the job he'll do. Naturally, a great character piece in Peter David's "X-Aminations" issue #87 really let every single character shine (particularly the fun of word association with Jamie, and the sorely undermined appeal of a non-insane, spunky firecracker with heart in Polaris).

While I love Nightcrawler to the ends of the earth, I somewhat wish that he wouldn't have been plucked back from the afterlife and trapped in the mold of the swashbuckling hero, which is a paltry part of a truly multifaceted character. While I am still filling in the gaps on the Drago storyline from the Morrison era, the dichotomy of Kurt's demonic and roguish appearance to his spiritually rich heart was a darling masterstroke. His reflections on his faith were quite genuine, without being preachy, and that he preceded in the clergy with good intentions was fascinating to no end. He's a good example of another type of character I like. Within the ink-and-paint world we follow, there are creatures endowed (and even cursed) with powers beyond normal comprehension. That some of them employ the belief in a higher power (as some folks who read their adventures do), is a wonder.

I'm definitely in agreement about flaws, and dimensions. Dr. Doom's ego on one hand is his fatal flaw, but it is a conduit for some stellar achievements. To be honest, Dr. Doom is perhaps the ultimate motivational speaker on self-power. He's a person of contradictions (which I love in characters), as he is vengeful though kind at times (the Shadowcat procedures in FF vs. X-Men from the 80's). His dinner with Storm in the "Uncanny X-Men" was a showcase of his charm and charismatic way. He is dictatorial, regal, composed, maddeningly furious, all these things in one.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Various. Depends on my mood really.

When I want revenge and/or an anti-hero, I look at Wolverine (well okay, prior to 2001) and lately (as in last 9 years) Bucky. I would include Marc Spector since I loved Moon Knight for a very long time, but these last two runs have not been my thing.

When I want someone who is morally upstanding and I can care about, it's Steve Rogers. Followed closely by a pre-House of M Maverick. More than Wolverine, Maverick really made me care for his 'black sheep' (born into a Nazi family and works for good even if his handlers were not.) I am not so sure of where his thoughts lie post Adamantum Men but...perhaps Mr. Soule will do something.

When I want an entertaining, regal, arrogant fun character, it's Namor.

Flaws are fun for certain characters and I love how Namor does not see his own flaws.

Interestingly, Slaine from 2000AD is a combination of all these traits and more...he's also a 1980s holdover like Logan (even though I haven't read much Wolverine in the past 13 years.)
    Last edited by Lady Warp Spasm; 09-04-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Ultimate Member

I like young heroes who still have some idealism and good spirits about them. Over the years, established characters tend to rack up dozens of dead family and lovers, betrayals, mutilating injuries and the occasional death and resurrection arc, which makes them feel less 'fun' to read about. I like the escapist power fantasy of comics. Stories of a young Nova or Spider-Man that might have the occasional deadly serious bit, but can still give me the sense that these people *love* being able to fly, or perform other sorts of crazy awesome feats, like ignore traffic and just swing around the city.

I also like older *competent* heroes. Back in the Silver Age, covers would often show terrible (or inexplicable...) things happening, and you'd buy the comic and find out that the people you saw lying around dead were evil duplicates or LMD / robot doubles, and that *the heroes tricked the villains.* Sometimes it would be very pre-emptive, such as a story in which some villains infiltrated the Legion of Super-Heroes, only to discover that the Legion had seen it coming and strung them along until they could turn the tables on them and foil their scheme. That sort of concept intrigued me (particularly when it was perpetrated by a hero or team with a crazy genius like Brainiac 5, Batman, Stark or Richards on board), that the heroes might not be totally caught with their pants down *every time,* but occasionally do something pro-active, and actually *stop* the bad-guys *before* the terrible thing (destruction of a city, death of a hero's family, etc.) happens.

Heroes with a very acrobatic fighting style. Nightcrawler, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Psylocke and Nightwing are all very energetic and fluid and dynamic in combat, leaping and flipping and dodging attacks. I love that (more so when dealing with an artist with a grasp of anatomy, obviously!). People just jumping at each other or punching their way through fights, shrugging off attacks through invulnerability or regeneration rather than dodging (which, to me, makes it feel less like they are in any sort of danger or drama, or care at all about the fight, which begs the question of why *I* should care about the fight...) just don't appeal to me as much. I know Spider-Man isn't going to actually die or anything, but he at least seems *worried* about getting punched or shot or stabbed, and that makes his fight scenes seem more meaningful, to me.

And, the reverse, heroes who are quietly confident and inspiring leaders. No showing off or bragging or having temper tantrums or attacking their teammates over political / philosophical / jealous-because-I-covet-your-girlfriend issues. Just getting the job done. I like my teen heroes, and the occasional bad choices they make, but I *also* like my adult heroes, the Captain Americas and the Cyclopses, who can be decisive and self-assured and competent, and avoid the drama and the whining and the angst about their sad, sad past. That sort of character can get undermined by bad writing (particularly in hero vs. hero situations, as it seems the current fad is for everyone to have to have their shot at gripping the Idiot Ball and being Terribly Wrong about something), but I try to ignore bad characterization and focus on the good stuff.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

I have a long list of favourites, depending on the mood.

Thinking about it my list of favourites; I realise I'm a sucker for anyone who makes me laugh. So Hercules, Pete Wisdom, She Hulk, and Hellcat when well written, all make it.

Also fond of characters with moderately strong powers who mostly get by on their wits and will: Kitty Pryde, Domino, Dani Moonstar.

And it seems big muscles and a good heart: Thor, Hercules, Warpath
    "Self has no time for this."

Fantastic Member

I like characters who earn their abilities. Whether it be magic, athletics or whatever. I admire intelligence.

The unsuspecting type is usually my favorite. Anyone would see them on the street and never bat an eye. They are no one, they blend into a crowd, and don't project any sort of dominance. But they have this secret, special gift that sits just beneath the surface. No one would ever know this about them unless they announced it. I especially enjoy it if this gift creates most of the conflict in their life, or they are so afraid of what they might do that they live in fear of themselves.

Havok, Spider Man, Hulk, Daredevil, and so on.

When it comes to my favorite type of villain, I really go for the over powered, god-like force of nature/evil. A character so powerful it seems impossible that anything could stop them from getting what they are after.

Galactus, Apocalypse, Thanos and the like.

Bear in mind, none of the characters listed are my favorite comics character, per se, just Marvel versions of those types of characters.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

Great question, but I haven't a clue.

well written interesting ones.
    I surrender to the Contest

Hard question to answer

Different things about different characters

The manipulative tendencies of daken

The raw power of magneto

The arrogant yet respectful personality of thor

The h2h skills of shang chi

The big balls on ares

The cool looking costumes of the 90s x men

All these things appeal to me, but overall I also like underdogs.

As a youth, I used to LOVE the "bad ass" anti-hero types: Venom, Deadpool, Namor, oh my!

However, as I got older, I found myself growing tired of it, and learned I started to gravitate towards the cleaner cut heroes. People who are better than ourselves. I prefer intellect over fisticuffs, any day of the week.
    Spectre: You did this. You have done what I thought impossible. You have forced peace. The whole world. It feels....ordered. The evil is still there in people, but they're afraid to act.

Superman: They know I'm watching.