Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Full disclosure, this is the first Blade comic I've ever read. My knowledge and passion for the character is thanks to the movies and I even was into the short lived TV show. Having said that, I really liked the first issue. The introductory pages perfectly summarized the badassery and awesomeness of the character. (Although quick sidebar, I do prefer a classic muscle car to a new-ish looking one.) And I especially loved the "what the fk?!" quote after cutting a head off only to be recovered, total tribute to the original movie.

I kind of also wish he looked a bit more jacked, but it's a minor nitpick considering how well the book played out overall.

At any rate, a really enjoyable issue. Looking forward to this run.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 07-23-2023 at 04:52 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Really solid first issue. Plot and art all worked great together. I liked Eric's line about 'why would I do that?'.
    So this is Legacy issue #29, I'm trying to figure that out. I think it is these then.

1994 series = 10 issues (first ongoing)
    1999 series = 6 issues (they aren't counting the Wizard mag #1/2 issue then
    2006 series = 12 issues (this is listed as his 4th ongoing title)

The Blade MAX(2002) series of 6 issues doesn't count cause it is not in regular 616 continuity I suppose.

Looking forward to seeing where this book goes....hopefully more than 12 issues!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

I put the warrior from issue ones lines into a translator and apparently he's speaking some dialect of tagalog, or that's the closest language.

Edit: I keep messing around and it looks like it might be sanskrit
    Last edited by Tracks; 07-25-2023 at 07:48 AM.

Why is there a New Champions sidekick for Blade when he literally just GOT a sidekick in the form of his daughter Bloodline? This is one New Champion who has zero chance of being an actual thing.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

It's literally just a special variant cover. They made one for every book. It's a pretty cool design.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    It's literally just a special variant cover. They made one for every book. It's a pretty cool design.
    Laaaaammmmeeee... Looking like a Hobie brown infestation.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

There's a chance that one or more of them could become a real character - Gwenpool started as a variant cover in a series where you had Gwen Stacy versions of various superheroes.

But with Blade already having a teen legacy, it won't be this one who makes that jump.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Why is there a New Champions sidekick for Blade when he literally just GOT a sidekick in the form of his daughter Bloodline? This is one New Champion who has zero chance of being an actual thing.
    Not if there is a story you want to tell but NOT use his daughter.

I think the best example of this is Duncan McNeil on Star Trek Voyager. He played another character on Star Trek TNG that got people killed and Wesley Crusher was involved.

Voyager producers felt that character was so unredeemable that they created a tone down version in Lt. Paris.

And there were at least 3-4 TNG stories that were meant for Picard but got redone for Laforge.

Bryan Hill is my favorite writer. His Killmonger was awesome and so was his Batman and the Outsiders so I didn't think he'd disappoint. I thought it was a solid first issue.

I was assuming that this was an, um, well, kind-of gender-neutral interpretation of Brielle. Guess I was wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    My reactions when seeing this....

Ugh.

Disney gotta' Disney.

Kill. It. With. Fire.

No need to get bent out shape it's just variant fodder...oh crap Gwenpool started out as variant fodder!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

Every single book is getting one of these new champions variant covers. It really feels like comic book fans catastrophize every little thing sometimes.

Niffleheim

Blade's co-creator, writer Marv Wolfman, is returning to the fan-favorite Daywalker for a new story as part of the What If…? Dark series of one-shots.

https://www.gamesradar.com/blade-goe..._medium=social
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Niffleheim

Blade battles his new arch-enemy in Blade #5

Blade has been squaring off with the demoness Adana in his current ongoing title, and now the new villain is taking center stage on the newly revealed cover of November 15's Blade #5 by series artist Elena Casagrande.

Written by Bryan Edward Hill, the current Blade series has drawn the Daywalker into a dire immortal conflict with dark forces that go far beyond his usual vampire enemies. At the heart of it all is the apocalyptic villain Adana. And in Blade #5, they'll have their first official clash.,
    https://www.gamesradar.com/blade-bat...tent=newsarama
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Mighty Member

This series really does seem like it'll be an instant classic. Excited for these next issues.

The what if is interesting too. Marvel has slowly, over the last year, specified that Blade's powers are "some of their strengths". I think the only thing we've explicitly never seen him do, and that he's explicitly said he can't do is turn to mist. Should be an interesting story though.