Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Despite not being much of a Blade enthusiasts i'm really enjoying this title.

This last issue left me with a smile on a face and a question in my mind:

is it so difficult to to write a character (any character) as "authentic" as it relates to its history? The writer has taken a character i could take or leave, honored the core attributes of the character and made me open my wallet .

It's not hard. At least it shouldn't be. Rhetorical question: Why are books like this such a rarity?
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    Despite not being much of a Blade enthusiasts i'm really enjoying this title.

This last issue left me with a smile on a face and a question in my mind:

is it so difficult to to write a character (any character) as "authentic" as it relates to its history? The writer has taken a character i could take or leave, honored the core attributes of the character and made me open my wallet .

It's not hard. At least it shouldn't be. Rhetorical question: Why are books like this such a rarity?
    Partially because writing gigs are given to small groupings of known writers. .....And most of those writer have mid to low talent, but they get access to the same small bag of characters that Marvel shuffles up and uses. Every year there are 1 or 2 exceptions. Blade's book and writer is one of them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post

Generally you get the right editor that allows a writer to do their job.

Or you get an editor that understands what his job is and what the book should be about.

Or you have editors with low expectations. They don't expect the book to last beyond issue 6.

See Kamala Khan's first series that was not expected to make issue 7 let alone 80 issues by the time G Willow Wilson was done.

See Burnside Batgirl volume 1. DC did not expect that to sell and let alone the trade be a top seller. Then editorial interfered and ran the creative out of DC.

I have a feeling it's more of Blade needs more trade material before his movie and it would be best if editorial stands back and let Hill do whatever.

And if you get folks like both Ewings (Al and Eve)-they are history buffs of the game and if you left them alone-you would get more books like this.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Generally you get the right editor that allows a writer to do their job.

Or you get an editor that understands what his job is and what the book should be about.

Or you have editors with low expectations. They don't expect the book to last beyond issue 6.

See Kamala Khan's first series that was not expected to make issue 7 let alone 80 issues by the time G Willow Wilson was done.

See Burnside Batgirl volume 1. DC did not expect that to sell and let alone the trade be a top seller. Then editorial interfered and ran the creative out of DC.

I have a feeling it's more of Blade needs more trade material before his movie and it would be best if editorial stands back and let Hill do whatever.
    This crossed my mind as i was nearing the end of the latest issue.

In this instance....the strategy is working.

I'm not a big fan of the horror genre. I don't particularly like vampires. Yet here I am.
    Don't complain. Create.

Mighty Member

Really good issue of Miles Morales with Blade and Brielle. That's a fun series. I'm wondering when we'll see more of Brielle, but I've really liked the solo Blade so far and not sure if I'm excited about shaking that dynamic up.

Enjoying this series as well. Just picked up issues 2 - 5 on Monday. Good stuff so, far, story, art, etc. Until this I had never read a Blade book before.

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Enjoying this series as well. Just picked up issues 2 - 5 on Monday. Good stuff so, far, story, art, etc. Until this I had never read a Blade book before.
    You might be in a good situation, we haven't been getting anything of value for Blade for a while.

Mighty Member

What do you all think about Blade using magic on occasion?

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post

Not opposed if used on occasion. And if it’s either borderline or full on dark magic.

There’s one thing about Doctor Strange I don’t think I necessarily love in this book. Specifically, how he was the modus operandi for getting them on the train. I thought it would have been cooler if Blade got there on his own… because he’s fkn Blade.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. Truth be told, dealing with the nature of adversaries he faces it might be the more effective weapon to use. Blare doesn't seem like he would be opposed to the usage of magic anyway especially if we are talking base spells. Manifestation of enchanted items .....and maybe a rarely used magical energy bomb or something.

This series is fire ��

I love it. I see Blade as a “right tool for the right job” kinda guy, and I think the current run is showing Blade is more than just the vampire guy so I would enjoy him fighting more types of dark bad guys and needing new tricks. I particularly hope to see the breathing gun return.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    This series is fire ��
    It really is.

It has all of the components required to build an audience in addition to the character being just "talented" or powerful enough but not so much to be a Mary Sue.

No nonsense. Relatively disciplined. A skilled fighter. A pinch of "magic" . Adequate looks / "wish fulfillment". Has love interests for those that care about that. He's a mentor. Is not reduced to one type of story, enemy or type of location.

*shrugs*

I mean...i'm not a vampire loving guy but....the components for success and good story telling are there.

It's crazy how the formula for success for this type of book is fairly easy to follow yet so few titles do.
    Don't complain. Create.

Astonishing Member

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP230835

Blade 6 Preview for next week nice conversation between Blade and Dracula.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP230835

Blade 6 Preview for next week nice conversation between Blade and Dracula.
    Looking damn good and I can't wait to see what new tricks Dracula teaches Blade.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel