Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Put me down as a Blade fan as well. Marvel hasn't just fumbled the ball with him, they've figuratively ran the opposite direction and into the wrong end zone when I think about how poorly they've treated the gift that the Snipes-Goyer's films gave them to make the character A-list in the comics.

I agree with those who feel that Blade has been limited, though I wouldn't ditch him being a vampire hunter or Daywalker primarily, though I would expand it for him to take on all kinds of monsters, etc. That said, I feel that Blade, like Punisher, might work better in a kind of separate MAX series where there are no superheroes, mutants, etc. Marvel hasn't done a great job of finding ways to make him work outside of some obligatory appearances whenever they decide to bring vampires into the mix. Making Blade important in the Heroes Reborn series could've been a way to set him apart but that quickly turned to focusing more on Captain America and other characters. Blade is often used as the hook or the way into a story-about vampires generally-and I suspect that he's going to be used big time as the hook for the Bloodline series. I just hope that they don't have Bloodline, or Saffron, disrespecting him, as Bloodline does everything Blade can do, but only better.

Some of the Blade one-shots demonstrate the potential. I thought the last one with him in the Vampire Nation felt more like the start of a series/miniseries than a one-shot. And I liked the Blade vs. Wolverine special, where they drew him to look like Michael Jai White. I also have liked, so far, the Midnight Suns miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Elsa Bloodstone, seems like.
    Yup! It's Elsa Bloodstone
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

Has Blade fought any hero as much as Spiderman?

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

It hurt a little seeing Blade get played with like he was a puppy. Going for a knockout blow that makes your opponent smirk at you is not the way. Especially if you think your opponent is a harmless joke like everyone always seems to think Spidey is for some reason.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Mighty Member

For whatever it's worth, the avengers were all trying to catch Spiderman and Blade was the only one who managed to hit him. Same thing happened to Thor, Captain America, and Captain Marvel this issue.

Mighty Member

Another day of Blade appearances. It's interesting, it seems that Marvel is really leaning into Lore as the main Blade writer. Brielle is also interesting. As it is right now, her powers only work at night, and even though she doesn't always know when they'll activate. Also it doesn't seem Blade has been neglectful in the context of the story, seems there's a general understanding his work would put them in danger.

Mighty Member

Then in Moon Knight, Lore wrote the back-up story about 70s Blade crossing paths with an older Moon Knight from NY. It's a cool bit of story, but also probably an annoying read because Blade makes a deal with this Moon Knight so that she'll let him live.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Blade in the latest Moon Knight #20 was very well done.

Are we not going to have a thread *just* for Bloodline? I found the first issue to be pretty good. What will Whitney's role and backstory be, beyond Army brat.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    Put me down as a Blade fan as well. Marvel hasn't just fumbled the ball with him, they've figuratively ran the opposite direction and into the wrong end zone when I think about how poorly they've treated the gift that the Snipes-Goyer's films gave them to make the character A-list in the comics.

I agree with those who feel that Blade has been limited, though I wouldn't ditch him being a vampire hunter or Daywalker primarily, though I would expand it for him to take on all kinds of monsters, etc. That said, I feel that Blade, like Punisher, might work better in a kind of separate MAX series where there are no superheroes, mutants, etc. Marvel hasn't done a great job of finding ways to make him work outside of some obligatory appearances whenever they decide to bring vampires into the mix. Making Blade important in the Heroes Reborn series could've been a way to set him apart but that quickly turned to focusing more on Captain America and other characters. Blade is often used as the hook or the way into a story-about vampires generally-and I suspect that he's going to be used big time as the hook for the Bloodline series. I just hope that they don't have Bloodline, or Saffron, disrespecting him, as Bloodline does everything Blade can do, but only better.

Some of the Blade one-shots demonstrate the potential. I thought the last one with him in the Vampire Nation felt more like the start of a series/miniseries than a one-shot. And I liked the Blade vs. Wolverine special, where they drew him to look like Michael Jai White. I also have liked, so far, the Midnight Suns miniseries.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

Are we not going to have a thread *just* for Bloodline? I found the first issue to be pretty good. What will Whitney's role and backstory be, beyond Army brat.
    if you want to start a thread go ahead.

She's still very new to me. All I could fill her thread with is speculation until she gets more content
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Then in Moon Knight, Lore wrote the back-up story about 70s Blade crossing paths with an older Moon Knight from NY. It's a cool bit of story, but also probably an annoying read because Blade makes a deal with this Moon Knight so that she'll let him live.

I love his 70s fit
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

I was wondering about that, I mean now that Midnight Suns is done and he's sidelined in the Avengers, it seems like Bloodline is the only place we'll see Blade for a while.

I also do like Gore's depiction of Blade. They're really solidifying Blade's character growth from a hot head who only cares about killing, back to the family oriented person with a more strategic outlook on how to handle supernatural problems.

Sigh.

I have said this so many times but Marvel needs to cut its superhero line to about twenty books. That will leave enough space for five our six Slice Of Life books. Lore (and some other Marvel writers) would be better served doing that. She just isn't the kind of person to take this thing on. I feel like she will not only give you the worst possible action but rush through it to show you people you don't care about talking to eachother.

Blade has always been a character that succeeds in spite of Marvel not because of Marvel. So it's amusing that Marvel thinks that they can create a spin-off when they were never really responsible for the character's popularity in the first place. The Snipes/Goyer version is so different than the Wolfman/Colan version he might as well be a different character. This character has the same issue as Kate Bishop, redundant at best and a parasite that sucks the life out of the main character at worst.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Sigh.

I have said this so many times but Marvel needs to cut its superhero line to about twenty books. That will leave enough space for five our six Slice Of Life books. Lore (and some other Marvel writers) would be better served doing that. She just isn't the kind of person to take this thing on. I feel like she will not only give you the worst possible action but rush through it to show you people you don't care about talking to eachother.

Blade has always been a character that succeeds in spite of Marvel not because of Marvel. So it's amusing that Marvel thinks that they can create a spin-off when they were never really responsible for the character's popularity in the first place. The Snipes/Goyer version is so different than the Wolfman/Colan version he might as well be a different character. This character has the same issue as Kate Bishop, redundant at best and a parasite that sucks the life out of the main character at worst.
    Aside from the completely wrong hot take on Kate Bishop, I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Aside from the completely wrong hot take on Kate Bishop, I agree with this.
    Kate is only interesting when she is with Hawkeye. Once she is separated from him you start to wonder what the point it. This isn't a Hawkeye thread so I will get back on topic.

Why use Blade to try to launch this character?

If they wanted a young woman who fought supernatural creatures wouldn't tying her into Elsa Bloodstone's world make more sense? The daughter of one of her dead associates maybe? A young woman being trained by an older woman, double the girl power.

Marvel just expects Blade fans will transfer their loyalty over to this character when Marvel has done nothing to earn the loyalty of Blade fans. The character succeeds in spite of Marvel. If anything Blade fans are going to be the toughest audience. I doubt MCU fans are going to show up to support this character either because Blade was before the MCU and the new version is just going to be a shadow of that.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest