Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post

Can't say the new Todd McFarlane version does anything for me.
    Indeed. Early versions of the McFarlane figure were worrisome enough with appearance and it seems to have slid further with the official item. The permanently in shadow eyes look was a misstep along the way, but at least I can kind of see what image of Donna they were basing that on from the packaging. TITANS REBIRTH Donna did seem to have a perpetually smoky eye. I wonder why they went with grey panels on the body...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

When I was checking stuff for my previous post, I noticed that the issue in which the imaginary Wonder Girl was written out of Wonder Woman was also published in 1965 (four months after Donna's debut in Brave and the Bold #60). It looks like WW's writer/editor (they were the same person) decided to ditch her after the snafu that led to Donna's creation (WG being mistaken for a Robin type character when she was actually a Superboy type). Of course that would've avoided any confusion when Donna showed up in the pages of Wonder Woman.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Indeed. Early versions of the McFarlane figure were worrisome enough with appearance and it seems to have slid further with the official item. The permanently in shadow eyes look was a misstep along the way, but at least I can kind of see what image of Donna they were basing that on from the packaging. TITANS REBIRTH Donna did seem to have a perpetually smoky eye. I wonder why they went with grey panels on the body...
    hmm..... pondered this one what does it feel like to me, aesthetically? the general styling feels like a Horseman of Apocalypse, and the color scheme is most like Death.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    hmm..... pondered this one what does it feel like to me, aesthetically? the general styling feels like a Horseman of Apocalypse, and the color scheme is most like Death.
    Made me think of the Deathbringer special she had in which they turned her evil for that event.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Made me think of the Deathbringer special she had in which they turned her evil for that event.
    Hmm... yeah, same ballpark. Very similar idea space.

Major revelation in the World's Finest: Teen Titans #2 preview!!!!

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/08/04/dc...teen-titans-2/

Rescued from fire by Diana origin confirmed.

spoilers:
    But Donna is a blabbermouth. Good job Mal is destined to become a Titan himself, because she just outed Karen's (and Garth's I think) secret identities to him!
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Yeah, happy to see that finally resolved after almost 40 years of nonsense. Hey, Marv and George tried, but I got give Mr. P the stink eye for needlessly erasing all of Diana's history in his series. Some alterations are all that was needed. I like this new first appearance of Mal. I'm not a fan of Samnee's style of art, but that is wonderful design for the cover. Could it mean Lilith will also be in this issue?!

I would have no problems with this being an ongoing. The original Titans always had a lot of potential -- just lacking in stories. I don't need Starfire, Cyborg and Raven -- to love the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeah, happy to see that finally resolved after almost 40 years of nonsense. Hey, Marv and George tried, but I got give Mr. P the stink eye for needlessly erasing all of Diana's history in his series. Some alterations are all that was needed. I like this new first appearance of Mal. I'm not a fan of Samnee's style of art, but that is wonderful design for the cover. Could it mean Lilith will also be in this issue?!

I would have no problems with this being an ongoing. The original Titans always had a lot of potential -- just lacking in stories. I don't need Starfire, Cyborg and Raven -- to love the Titans.
    DC is more to blame for the issues with Diana's history than Perez.

Some good stuff here with Donna, both in terms of art, characterization, and origin !

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

She still could be a Titan Goddess baby lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    She could...how did Diana know to be there to rescue her (divine intervention?), why did Diana take her back to the island instead of child services (divine instruction?) or maybe that was just one lucky little girl who got rescued by Wonder Woman who knew she needed a family. At this point...I am just happy the new 52 blasphemy is gone and I dont really care if we dont get anything past this! lol
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

But it's not called Paradise Island any more ( much to my chagrin), and considering the previous edited version of her icky 52 story had her implanted with false memories of growing up on the island, let's say I'm hopeful but cautious.

Also , wtf with the gray lipstick?

Also, Karen making fun of Gath' s look but she still rocking bee stripes? C'mon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    True. Donna rescued as a baby by Wonder Woman and brought to Themyscira aka Paradise Island still leaves the question on where did Donna get her powers. In Tales of the Titans #1 Gar calls Donna Troy a "god-infused powerhouse." The Titans of Myth could still be responsible for Donna's powers. In post-Rebirth WW issues written by Steve Orlando, New Cronus appears when Donna is inside the Lasso of Persuasion. It's quite possible that there was some Titan's of Myth intervention on Donna's behalf. Perhaps one or more influenced Diana to rescue Donna and bring her to the Amazons. I guess we'll see when Tales of the Titans #3 comes out in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DC is more to blame for the issues with Diana's history than Perez.
    Maybe more than George but I'm not giving Marv a pass. After all he did write Donna's very first origin in the first volume of Teen Titans. He then also wrote her first retcon in the pages of New Teen Titans and then her next one in New Titans. I'd argue that if Marv had just given her a simple, solid origin to begin with it wouldn't have left the character open to so many retcons in the first place. He might not be responsible for the first mistake in identity that created her in the first place but he's the main guy that made her history complicated and messy. I love Marv's work but I don't understand why he did this with Donna's origin and retcons.