Page 19 of 74 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I vote for Celestia

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't get why people are pulling their hair out trying to come up with a new code-name when "Donna Troy" has worked just fine for the past 30 years. If it's not broken don't fix it.
    It hasn't really worked, imo. It's just what's been there. I still liked it to "Tom Smith with save the day! ", or " Help me Bob Jones!"

The full use of first and last name every time is just so odd and forced...

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    It hasn't really worked, imo. It's just what's been there. I still liked it to "Tom Smith with save the day! ", or " Help me Bob Jones!"

It’s that, exactly. It hasn’t worked hence we’re still talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't get why people are pulling their hair out trying to come up with a new code-name when "Donna Troy" has worked just fine for the past 30 years. If it's not broken...
    It hasn't worked, and it's been broken since TROIA. It's like calling Nightwing, 'Dicko' ..or 'Ricardo'. It's terrible. It's broken.

Westo. Gnaarko...

I love George Perez as an artist and a Latino, but that Titans of Myth thing was a bridge too far, even for me. It's like, when comics guys, who really wanted critical acclaim [That's forgivable.] started raking comics too seriously and cramming what used to be simple, imaginative storytelling with overly complex junk. For me, the Titans and the Seeds and the little balls swinging all over the place...too much!

On TV, Wonder Girl was Diana's teenybopper sister from the Island. Fumbling her way onto a top secret military base, she tells the guard, " I'm Major Trevor's niece", after telling Trevor she's Diana's sister. Backstory, secret identity...all done, neat and simple!

Can you imagine her trying to explain that Titans thing..."Well, ..at the dawn of time, there was a god war, and my adoptive elders, the TITANS, were ejected into space, where they made some little, flying balls..."

Yawn.

I want some comic genius to check his or her ego at the door and give us a slightly revised version of her original 2-3 panel comic book origin, ..back! Please!

Further, I want it established that she was adopted by Steve's or Gen. Darnell's family, upon moving to America and joining the Titans - a permanent tie to Diana's MW friends, like Babs Gordon being Comm. Gordon's daughter. I also want her given a proper codename, because people in comic books have those. Part of the fun!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-04-2023 at 09:20 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post

Donna Troy is not exactly a common name. The fact she is referred to by that name as opposed to any of the monikers she's had shows it does work. No one complains Artemis doesn't have a code name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    It hasn't worked, and it's been broken since TROIA. It's like calling Nightwing, 'Dicko' ..or 'Ricardo'. It's terrible. It's broken.

Westo. Gnaarko...

I love George Perez as an artist and a Latino, but that Titans of Myth thing was a bridge too far, even for me. It's like, when comics guys, who really wanted critical acclaim [That's forgivable.] started raking comics too seriously and cramming what used to be simple, imaginative storytelling with overly complex junk. For me, the Titans and the Seeds and the little balls swinging all over the place...too much!

On TV, Wonder Girl was Diana's teenybopper sister from the Island. Fumbling her way onto a top secret military base, she tells the guard, " I'm Major Trevor's niece", after telling Trevor she's Diana's sister. Backstory, secret identity...all done, neat and simple!

Can you imagine her trying to explain that Titans thing..."Well, ..at the dawn of time, there was a god war, and my adoptive elders, the TITANS, were ejected into space, where they made some little, flying balls..."

Yawn.

I want some comic genius to check his or her ego at the door and give us a slightly revised version of her original 2-3 panel comic book origin, ..back! Please!

Further, I want it established that she was adopted by Steve's or Gen. Darnell's family, upon moving to America and joining the Titans - a permanent tie to Diana's MW friends, like Babs Gordon being Comm. Gordon's daughter. I also want her given a proper codename, because people in comic books have those. Part of the fun!
    Firstly, Perez didn't come up with the Titans of myth origin. That was Marv Wolfman. Secondly, why is everyone acting like every superhero needs a moniker? Thirdly, I cannot fathom how after years everyone complaining that DC is making all their characters into Batman (which largely just means making them a bit more depressed than usual), we have a suggestion to just plot beats and dynamics from Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    It’s that, exactly. It hasn’t worked hence we’re still talking about it.
    We're talking about it because DC doesn't know what to prioritize when it comes to Donna. A codename is the least of her concerns.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Donna Troy is not exactly a common name. The fact she is referred to by that name as opposed to any of the monikers she's had shows it does work. No one complains Artemis doesn't have a code name.
    Artemis isn't a full time hero. She's more of a hiding in the shadows, fighting the people who dont get that much attention. She's often paired w/Bizarro and Red Hood. Only 1 person has some semblance of a secret id

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Artemis isn't a full time hero. She's more of a hiding in the shadows, fighting the people who dont get that much attention. She's often paired w/Bizarro and Red Hood. Only 1 person has some semblance of a secret id
    So she's a superhero who doesn't get much attention. If anything she's more a full time hero now than she was in the last years of the pre-Flashpoint continuity.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

So she's a superhero who doesn't get much attention. If anything she's more a full time hero now than she was in the last years of the pre-Flashpoint continuity.
    Is she? She runs with a rag tag team of misfits or killing Hippolyta for the greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Is she? She runs with a rag tag team of misfits
    Not mutually exclusive to being a hero.

or killing Hippolyta for the greater good.
    Done under Hippolyta's orders.

Westo. Gnaarko...

Yawn.

slight flaw in your argument... "slight"..... you're actually talking about 3 different characters who were at some point "Wonder Girl".

Wonder Woman TV series Wonder Girl was an Amazon named Drusilla.

The simple origin you talk about for the original Wonder Girl in the comics.... wasn't really Donna Troy.

It was kind of a workable origin story... kind of... The Titan of Myth one was a lot better IMO.
    No one except me. Too many characters in DC use the name Artemis.

Fun Facts about TVs 70's Wonder Girl:

- Character was based on the comics Wonder Girl, Donna Troy, including the diagonal star pattern across her chest
    - TV producers felt the name Donna was too close to Diana so, they changed it to Drusilla
    - Actress Debra Winger played Wonder Girl and producers planned to spin off the character to her own show
    - Winger didn't want to be typecast as the character and turned down the spin off and instead, bought her contract from the studio
    - Winger later "punked" David Letterman in an appearance on Late Night show by revealing her Wonder Girl outfit underneath her clothes

Astonishing Member

I don't know how much of that was George and how much of it was Marv, but at the time it made for an interesting story, but it separated the character from Wonder Woman way too much. Plus, it overly complicated Donna and her power set. As I've been saying -- I'd rather remove that origin and lose the starfield costume that came with it -- because it doesn't say 'Wonder Woman' family as it should.

Astonishing Member

I still think her last name is a strong code name. Donna Troy is a name -- not a code name. Troy is all she needs.