Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Unintentionally though. Wonder Girl did already exist, but she was basically the same as Superboy. The writer thought she was like Robin. You'd think they'd do something as simple as checking what the civilian name is (it was, of course, just Diana - not even Diana Prince, because Wonder Woman took that last name when she first became a superhero in World War II and replaced a woman called that) before using her. Of course that meant the Wonder Woman writer had no plans for Donna.
    Yes, I know all of that. But that wasn't my point.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Random thought (maybe) what if Donna's real mother was an Amazon who had left the island? It could by why Diana was there to save her, perhaps some nefarious people discovered Donna's mother was an Amazon and kidnapped Donna thinking they could extort money or whatever from her? Would that make Donna's story(stories) any more plausible (as to why Diana brought her back to the island, how she has powers, how the Titans of myth know of Donna)?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Random thought (maybe) what if Donna's real mother was an Amazon who had left the island? It could by why Diana was there to save her, perhaps some nefarious people discovered Donna's mother was an Amazon and kidnapped Donna thinking they could extort money or whatever from her? Would that make Donna's story(stories) any more plausible (as to why Diana brought her back to the island, how she has powers, how the Titans of myth know of Donna)?
    I feel like it just adds layers of complication...

Donna is always sort of the more relatable, " girl next door" version of Diana, and her being a regular human I feel is an important part of that.

To me, she needs to just follow her Who is Donna Troy? Backstory. If the Titans of Myth is too ingrained at this time, I feel like it can be merged in a more simplified version, while retaining most of the WIDT? Story.

Example, everything tracks early on. Donna, baby, black market, fire.
    Rhea finds her moments before Diana rescues her and either (1) blesses her with powers (so that she is the future champion of the Titans of Myth).to be unlocked as she grows on Themyscira

or

(2) is rescued by Rhea, the whole New Cronus stuff, Titans seeds, etc . And then brought to the island to learn love etc from the Amazons

But I prefer her to be raised by Hippolyta as long as is possible so Instead of her training for years on NC, I'd prefer the Titan Gods bless her with powers ( a kiss by Rhea on the infant Donna's forehead?) Before being rescued, so that Diana saves her and the Amazons help her unlock and hone her powers,since the Amazons already helped raise Diana to become the woman and hero that she is.

Plus all that Titans seed stuff is just so extra. Too much. And it never really mattered in the long run. Let Donna be the sole recipient of the blessings of the Titans of Myth.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-23-2023 at 07:56 PM.

Fantastic Member

Whenever I see references to Donna's relationship with Terry Long, I think about how creepy that relationship actually was, and how much of a creep Terry Long was.

It wasn't as rapey as Deathstroke and Terra because Donna was at least beyond the age of consent. But there was still something really gross about it. Ick.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Amazon in Exile mother and Mortal Father seems to be the origin used by the TITANS television series...and also the origin of the Forgotten Sister GRACE CHOI
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Amazing Member

When it comes to Terry Long, many of the statements on this thread, and those I have seen elsewhere, remind me of the 'Infantalization of Teenagers' thing I have seen.

According to this, it used to be, not so long ago, that teenagers were not seen as children, but rather 'Adults-in-training', not trusted with full responsibility, but on their way. It is only in recent decades that teenagers would be treated as being in the same category as a 10 year old.

If this is true, I suspect that most people in the mid 80's would have not have seen Terry Long as a 'predator' preying on 'young girls' or 'icky', the way I've seen things described here and on other threads. After all, Donna was 19, which is older than voting age. Younger males would have been liable to be drafted in the military.
    Last edited by GreyFox; 01-24-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Amazon in Exile mother and Mortal Father seems to be the origin used by the TITANS television series...and also the origin of the Forgotten Sister GRACE CHOI
    She is so beautiful and she is Donna Troy!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
    When it comes to Terry Long, many of the statements on this thread, and those I have seen elsewhere, remind me of the 'Infantalization of Teenagers' thing I have seen.

According to this, it used to be, not so long ago, that teenagers were not seen as children, but rather 'Adults-in-training', not trusted with full responsibility, but on their way. It is only in recent decades that teenagers would be treated as being in the same category as a 10 year old.

If this is true, I suspect that most people in the mid 80's would have not have seen Terry Long as a 'predator' preying on 'young girls' or 'icky', the way I've seen things described here and on other threads. After all, Donna was 19, which is older than voting age. Younger males would have been liable to be drafted in the military.
    It’s not just his behavior toward Donna that was problematic. It was also the way he consistently lusted after young women, and young women who were in a subordinate position to him, like his own students. See the links I posted.

While there is nothing illegal about an older man or woman dating or even marrying a younger person who is legally able to consent, it does ring alarms for many people because there seems to be an inherent power imbalance between fully grown adults and nascent ones. And having outsized power (for sometimes untoward purposes) often seems to be point in these situations.

Given our global context and what we now understand about sexual coercion: Yes. Ick.
    Last edited by HotBoy; 01-24-2023 at 02:20 PM.

Surprise, it's not the 80s anymore.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    It’s not just his behavior toward Donna that was problematic. It was also the way he consistently lusted after young women, and young women who were in a subordinate position to him, like his own students. See the links I posted.
    The links indicate that:
    1) He found Starfire attractive.
    2) Some of his students tried to come on to him, perhaps jokingly, and he brushed them off in a manner that also seemed to me to be joking.

There is nothing there indicating he tried to coerce his students or exploited them for sexual favors. I don't think that anything of that sort was ever the intention of the Writer or Artist or Editor.

Fantastic Member

The links indicate that:
    1) He found Starfire attractive.
    2) Some of his students tried to come on to him, perhaps jokingly, and he brushed them off in a manner that also seemed to me to be joking.

There is nothing there indicating he tried to coerce his students or exploited them for sexual favors. I don't think that anything of that sort was ever the intention of the Writer or Artist or Editor.
    It’s actually rather well known in the industry that Terry Long was a “self-insert” of Marv Wolfman’s.

But if you’re of the mind that this all should be taken at face value and nothing cultural should be read into it, that’s absolutely fine. That’s not how I read it, though.

That “infantilizing of teenagers” comment has been a hallmark of adults attempting to justify their problematic and often non-consensual behaviors. I’d rather we “infantilize” young people than let them become the victims of predators.

Last edited by HotBoy; 01-24-2023 at 03:50 PM.

It’s actually rather well known in the industry that Terry Long was a “self-insert” of Marv Wolfman’s.

But if you’re of the mind that this all should be taken at face value and nothing cultural should be read into it, that’s absolutely fine. That’s not how I read it, though.
    (Insert bad here ...yeah, and right into Donna...

Donna deserves a good romance today with someone she never before dated and who is worthy of her!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

While there is nothing illegal about an older man or woman dating or even marrying a younger person who is legally able to consent, it does ring alarms for many people because there seems to be an inherent power imbalance between fully grown adults and nascent ones. And having outsized power (for sometimes untoward purposes) often seems to be point in these situations.

Given our global context and what we now understand about sexual coercion: Yes. Ick.
    Honestly I believe Terry's design has a lot to do with all the hatred, it wasn't just the age difference but how he was depicted. I think fan backlash was the real life cause of their break-up and why he written as such an ass#@le. If he were cuter fans would have accepted him more.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 01-24-2023 at 04:42 PM.