Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Since Diana gave Yara the Wondergirl moniker, she can do the same for Donna Troy (Troia). Apparently Diana can make choices like that for her own group of heros. Not sure if she has done this for Cassie yet...
    I think Wonder "Girl" is a step backwards for this character. You wouldn't, for example, call Wally Kid Flash after being the Flash. I think the same is true for Donna Troy; Donna has taken up the mantle of Wonder Woman for a short time, so to be called WG after that seems weird.

As for codenames, besides Wonder Woman, I think Asteria would be a nice Titans of Myth tie-in. Fury is another name that should be considered, as that's Donna's Earth 2 counterpart name and has ties to Amazon history. I think that would fit Donna nicely by keeping her deep ties to the Amazons mythos while at the same time, establishing her as her own character without including "Wonder" in her names. Another option is Olympia, which was a failed attempt back in the 90's as a new codename for Donna. The costume was meh but, the codename wasn't bad for her Amazon/Olympian/Titans ties.

I'm fine with Troia or simply Donna Troy. I don't really see the point of coming up with another name for her after so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Then give it (Troia) to someone else so Donna can have a good name that fits in 2023.
    Ha, 100% agree. Troia always seemed too contrived to me. For the same reason Wally wouldn't adopt the codename Westio and Dick wouldn't go by Graysonio or Grayson Guy.
    Admittedly Tim did briefly adopt Drake, which was equally horrible.

I'd rather just see Donna go by Donna Troy or Troy, if they really can't think of a viable codename for her.

Does Donna or any member of the Wonder family need a code name? It isn't like they have secret identities.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Ha, 100% agree. Troia always seemed too contrived to me. For the same reason Wally wouldn't adopt the codename Westio and Dick wouldn't go by Graysonio or Grayson Guy.

I'd rather just see Donna go by Donna Troy or Troy, if they really can't think of a viable codename for her.
    Well, these aren't really comparable, since "Troia" is Greek for "Troy".

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post

Thanks.

It is extremely hard to come up with a good name for Donna as I have often said, which is why I rather see her go by nameless as Donna than get some awful new name.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Does Donna or any member of the Wonder family need a code name? It isn't like they have secret identities.
    Yes! She is a Super-Heroine!

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think Troy is fine. It doesn't need a female modifier ala Troia. Only close friends should be calling her Donna when she's in costume.

I'm tired of the black/starfield. That was Star Boy's look of the Legion of Super-Heroes, and I don't think it was ever really appropriate for Donna.
    Troia is the greek name of the city of Troy.

Edit: Just now i saw that this was already said in the thread. My bad.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Ever since I learned that Troia has a negative connotation in Italian and Greek, the most common being sow or female pig. It's also used as derogatory term for a "working girl." That pretty much soured me on the name. George Perez and Marv Wolfman probably didn't intend this and this was pre-Google so, I give them some slack for such a cringeworthy codename. Rather her be known simply by Troy vs Troia.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    Ever since I learned that Troia has a negative connotation in Italian and Greek, the most common being sow or female pig. It's also used as derogatory term for a "working girl." That pretty much soured me on the name. George Perez and Marv Wolfman probably didn't intend this and this was pre-Google so, I give them some slack for such a cringeworthy codename. Rather her be known simply by Troy vs Troia.
    Exactly. The name was never a go with me. I want Donna to have a new great code name, but better Donna Troy than a bad one!!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yes. Diana wouldnt be nearly as iconic if she just went by Diana Prince and was never Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Troia is the greek name of the city of Troy.

Edit: Just now i saw that this was already said in the thread. My bad.
    also there's the fact Donna uses it because she was given that name as one of the Titan seeds. the Titan Seeds were seemingly all named after Greek city-states: Athyns, Troia, Sparta, Xanthi, Corinthia, Argos, Idalium. But... allegedly there's 12 of them? Yeah we don't have names for 5. Also the group shot showing them before they were sent back to their home planets? only has 10 of them...

One.... interesting.... implication of the titan seed story... Donna Troy is powerful enough to destroy planets. One of the other Titan Seeds, Sparta, was said to have destroyed the homeworld of the Titan Seed Athyns... though... I'm not sure HOW.

Also, weird as it sounds... "Athyns" is seemingly considered a valid alternate spelling of "Athens" by wikipedia and I have no idea why.

Haha, look hard enough and you can find negative uses of almost any word.... This one is particularly weird since there are uses of Troia as a place name in modern Italy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troia,_Apulia Yeah, named after the Greek city-state, but not actually in Greece. o-o'

I think Wonder "Girl" is a step backwards for this character. You wouldn't, for example, call Wally Kid Flash after being the Flash. I think the same is true for Donna Troy; Donna has taken up the mantle of Wonder Woman for a short time, so to be called WG after that seems weird.

As for codenames, besides Wonder Woman, I think Asteria would be a nice Titans of Myth tie-in. Fury is another name that should be considered, as that's Donna's Earth 2 counterpart name and has ties to Amazon history. I think that would fit Donna nicely by keeping her deep ties to the Amazons mythos while at the same time, establishing her as her own character without including "Wonder" in her names. Another option is Olympia, which was a failed attempt back in the 90's as a new codename for Donna. The costume was meh but, the codename wasn't bad for her Amazon/Olympian/Titans ties.
    The difference being Donna temporarily took over the mantle of WW. Wally was the Flash for (in our time) decades ..

For most of the "sidekick" era Titans, I don't like the idea of them taking over their mentor's mantles. They're their own heroes and deserve their own ids.

For me, Fury is Lyta. Said, done. Lol.

I don't like there to be that much of a similarity between Earths.

Olympia is just cheap beer out of Washington. And Asteria already belongs to someone (and is too close to Astarte)

I'm really ok with Troia. WG does seem odd, and calli g her by her name has always been an issue . "Here comes Bob Smith! Thank goodness Bob Smith is here to save the day! Bob Smith is fighting the alien horde!!". Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post

Olympia is just cheap beer out of Washington. And Asteria already belongs to someone (and is too close to Astarte)

WG does seem odd, and calli g her by her name has always been an issue . "Here comes Bob Smith! Thank goodness Bob Smith is here to save the day! Bob Smith is fighting the alien horde!!". Ugh.
    Wasn't Asteria the name Lynda Carter had in WW 1984? If so, then yes, already taken.

And yes, that is why Donna needs a good code name. Imagine a crook being afraid that he will be nabbed by the Donna! Lol, it makes no sense. Rather, he would be worried of being caught by the Wonder Lady.