Page 17 of 74 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    The difference being Donna temporarily took over the mantle of WW. Wally was the Flash for (in our time) decades ..

For most of the "sidekick" era Titans, I don't like the idea of them taking over their mentor's mantles. They're their own heroes and deserve their own ids.

For me, Fury is Lyta. Said, done. Lol.

I don't like there to be that much of a similarity between Earths.

Olympia is just cheap beer out of Washington. And Asteria already belongs to someone (and is too close to Astarte)

I'm really ok with Troia. WG does seem odd, and calli g her by her name has always been an issue . "Here comes Bob Smith! Thank goodness Bob Smith is here to save the day! Bob Smith is fighting the alien horde!!". Ugh.
    You mean like Lex Luthor? Or like that super-hero parody film? Um... forget the name.. had Wil Smith as the lead?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    You mean like Lex Luthor? Or like that super-hero parody film? Um... forget the name.. had Wil Smith as the lead?
    Hancock?

But then there's Chuck Norris. As in "here comes Chuck Norris" you know you safe as somebody bout to get kicked in the head

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    Ever since I learned that Troia has a negative connotation in Italian and Greek, the most common being sow or female pig. It's also used as derogatory term for a "working girl." That pretty much soured me on the name. George Perez and Marv Wolfman probably didn't intend this and this was pre-Google so, I give them some slack for such a cringeworthy codename. Rather her be known simply by Troy vs Troia.
    In most languages Troia is Troy and has no negative connotations. Almost every name sounds stupid/offensive in some language. For example, Kal is feces in Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    In most languages Troia is Troy and has no negative connotations. Almost every name sounds stupid/offensive in some language. For example, Kal is feces in Russian.
    Ohmygod that's amazing....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes! She is a Super-Heroine!
    Not every superhero uses a codename.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Ah yes, but they should!!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Yes, it's something pretty common. The countries that have this problem just need to change the name. Like the Adventures of Tintin in Japan.

There is some Star Wars names we had to change here in Brazil cause they sounded like some nasty stuff in portuguese.

Count Dooku sound like "Count From the Ass" here, so we change for Dokan. Captain Panaka is something like Captain Dumbass in portugues, so here he is called Captain Panás. Master Sifo-Dyas sound like Master "F* Himself".

George Luccas is a master in this kinda of things.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Tintin is a problem even in English. The character called that in the original 1960s Thunderbirds series was called Kayo (as in knocking someone out) instead of Tintin in the Thunderbirds Are Go series a few years ago (they also upgraded her from a civilian to the International Rescue team's sixth member, due to the original team being all male).

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Since Diana gave Yara the Wondergirl moniker, she can do the same for Donna Troy (Troia). Apparently Diana can make choices like that for her own group of heros. Not sure if she has done this for Cassie yet...
    No, she hasn't. Cassie took on the name Wonder Girl on her own - she arrived in battle in the wig and goggles, and when Diana called her Cassandra, she said "Call me Wonder Girl!". In New 52, Cassie didn't even meet Diana until much later, her taking the Wonder Girl name had nothing to do with Diana (as that version wasn't a sidekick and started out as a Teen Titan). Diana also of course had nothing to do with Donna becoming Troia, while due to her accidental creation in real life, Donna becoming Wonder Girl happened off panel before her debut.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yes, it's something pretty common. The countries that have this problem just need to change the name. Like the Adventures of Tintin in Japan.

There is some Star Wars names we had to change here in Brazil cause they sounded like some nasty stuff in portuguese.

Count Dooku sound like "Count From the Ass" here, so we change for Dokan. Captain Panaka is something like Captain Dumbass in portugues, so here he is called Captain Panás. Master Sifo-Dyas sound like Master "F* Himself".

Yeah, if Troia is problematic in some countries there's a perfect alternative for it - Illium/Illion, which is another name for Troy.

Russia never changed "Kal" though, which made Man of Steel unintentionally hilarious in the dub.

BANNED

Yeah, if Troia is problematic in some countries there's a perfect alternative for it - Illium/Illion, which is another name for Troy.

Russia never changed "Kal" though, which made Man of Steel unintentionally hilarious in the dub.
    If the good Italians/Greeks take offense or good humor at Troia, I really don't care. It's a name. They can change the name in their local media the way that Captain America is Captain Avenger in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

In ENGLISH Dooku sounds a lot like "dookie" IE poop.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

What major superhero that is popular doesn't use a codename?

X-men are the only ones that come to my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    What major superhero that is popular doesn't use a codename?

X-men are the only ones that come to my mind
    And they should use one too!

Jean Grey is the Marvel Donna Troy in terms of a new great codename being hard to create.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I really enjoyed the gag Byrne did when Hippolyte and the other Amazons interacted with Donna. Donna had been introduced as "Donna Troy". However, since the Amazons tend to have one name they kept saying the whole thing run together as her name. I so wanted to see that adapted into live action for the LOLz

Fantastic Member

Nothing specific about Donna, but here's an interview with Nicola Scott and Tom Taylor about Titans:

https://www.ign.com/articles/dawn-of...justice-league