Page 21 of 74 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    For me, that might be the case if it had always been the name she used instead of a codename ( a la Flash Gordon, Dick Tracy, etc). All of those people ( minus Jean Grey) have only used their actual name

It's not about it being a unique name. It's that it's her civilian identity, and she's had proper code names for her heroic identity.

Had she just been "Donna Troy" the whole time, for me it would be a different story.

Did Troia not work because it didn't work, or did Troia not work because soon after, she's depowered and basically is just herself for so long. Did it not work, or was it just eclipsed by her decades of having to be her civilian self?
    Troia didn't work because it was dumb, it was just her last name with a vowel on the end. Her last name by itself doesn’t work because it's too masculine. It sounds formal, she's not in the military or a police officer and I'm not a fan of either anyway.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 02-11-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Troia didn't work because it was dumb, it was just her last name with a vowel on the end. Her last name by itself doesn’t work because it's too masculine. She's not in the military so it sounds formal or like she's a police officer and I'm not a fan of either.
    You summed it up well for me too!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Troia didn't work because it was dumb, it was just her last name with a vowel on the end. Her last name by itself doesn’t work because it's too masculine. It sounds formal, she's not in the military or a police officer and I'm not a fan of either anyway.
    ..it's a matter of personal opinion. Some think it's dumb, others do not.

And as per the Titans of Myth storyline ,the ancient Titans named her Troy ( like the other seeds named after ancient cities). So per continuity, her real name is Troy. Her adopted name is Donna. And with Troia being an alternate ( feminized) version of the name.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better than throwing around her full name all the time. In my opinion, it feels very awkward.

For me, that might be the case if it had always been the name she used instead of a codename ( a la Flash Gordon, Dick Tracy, etc). All of those people ( minus Jean Grey) have only used their actual name

It's not about it being a unique name. It's that it's her civilian identity, and she's had proper code names for her heroic identity.

Had she just been "Donna Troy" the whole time, for me it would be a different story.

Did Troia not work because it didn't work, or did Troia not work because soon after, she's depowered and basically is just herself for so long. Did it not work, or was it just eclipsed by her decades of having to be her civilian self?
    Yeah, if I was writing her I'd go back to Troia. In-universe it's unique.

It is kinda sorta associated with the Titans of Myth, so maybe some writers don't wanna use it outside that?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, if I was writing her I'd go back to Troia. In-universe it's unique.

It is kinda sorta associated with the Titans of Myth, so maybe some writers don't wanna use it outside that?
    I think writers feel like "Troia" was for that specific period of time in Donna's life, but not for now. That time is over if it is even still in Donna's history. The continuity is confusing.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I love Donna as Troia, her titans of myth origin is my favorite!

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I love Donna as Troia, her titans of myth origin is my favorite!

Same here! It was just better for Donna.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Donna and Kyle by Darryl Banks:

link

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member

I'm surprised some of you don't like 'Troy' as a codename, but after reviewing most of the post from this month -- I think we are stuck with Donna Troy. In some ways, I can see keeping that -- because Donna Troy is a made up name -- despite actually being named 'Donna' at birth. I haven't read Titans in years, so I don't know if she still works as a photographer and would have need of an alias, but wasn't she public about it years ago -- in Perez/Wolfman Teen Titans?

Troia is a stupid name. Some of you may like it or love it, but it's a silly name connected to a desperate attempt to redo her origin -- that hasn't held up. I'm of the mind that since no one has come up with something that everyone liked -- 'Donna Troy' is the best way to refer to her. Though I could still see people referring to her as Troy in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'm surprised some of you don't like 'Troy' as a codename, but after reviewing most of the post from this month -- I think we are stuck with Donna Troy. In some ways, I can see keeping that -- because Donna Troy is a made up name -- despite actually being named 'Donna' at birth. I haven't read Titans in years, so I don't know if she still works as a photographer and would have need of an alias, but wasn't she public about it years ago -- in Perez/Wolfman Teen Titans?

Troia is a stupid name. Some of you may like it or love it, but it's a silly name connected to a desperate attempt to redo her origin -- that hasn't held up. I'm of the mind that since no one has come up with something that everyone liked -- 'Donna Troy' is the best way to refer to her. Though I could still see people referring to her as Troy in battle.
    How is it any more stupid than "Troy"? It's literally the same name in Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Donna and Kyle by Darryl Banks:

link
    This was her best relationship followed closely by her flirtation with Angle Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Right? It's like saying Nihon is a stupid name for Japan.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

..it's a matter of personal opinion. Some think it's dumb, others do not.

And as per the Titans of Myth storyline ,the ancient Titans named her Troy ( like the other seeds named after ancient cities). So per continuity, her real name is Troy. Her adopted name is Donna. And with Troia being an alternate ( feminized) version of the name.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better than throwing around her full name all the time. In my opinion, it feels very awkward.
    I like her Troia identity, powers, and gear! She was insanely powerful and distinct. I also like the epicness as well as the idea that the Titans of Myth themselves could forgive, evolve, and take inspiration from the Olympians.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Agreed. Thinking about it, do the X-Men ever refer to Jean Grey as "Grey"?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I like her Troia identity, powers, and gear! She was insanely powerful and distinct. I also like the epicness as well as the idea that the Titans of Myth themselves could forgive, evolve, and take inspiration from the Olympians.
    I totally agree, anything else has felt like such a downgrade since then….

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”