Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    What dumbfounds me the most is they never did anything with Mari being a literal supermodel. Especially in the 90s, it was the perfect hook for a book.

There's still time for it, but it feels like a core piece of her background they just don't care to do anything with.
    I ascribe that more to them not doing much with Mari overall....

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Vixen s modeling career never bother me as it seems to be her go-to when she not being a hero. To me, it's nice to know she has a life. Besides, she seems popular enough that she can put her career on hold whenever she like.
    IMG_20230910_123700.jpg
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    The rare Vixen fan art.
    Justice League: Stone Age.

I can go with this.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Speaking of which I just realized Mari has the same first two initials as Mary-Jane Watson, Mari Jiwe McCabe.

I don't think superhero writers are all that interested in the fashion industry. MJ has been changed into a reporter in two different adaptations and her being a model isn't as touched on as her being an actress these days. I guess they either see fashion as shallow or are afraid the audience will see Mari that way.
    It's funny because female readers would eat it up. Female main characters working in the fashion industry as either journalists or models is such a staple for chicklit it might as well be a cliche.

And with the sudden obsession with supermodels on social media again, it would be a cool way to update Vixen.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Yeah, they could've worked a Sex in the City, Girlfriends-type angle with Mari had they ever given her an ongoing.

Not saying the formula needs to be the same (fundamentally, those shows are vastly different than what I would want out of a Vixen book), but I could've seen a good artist using fashion to bring her world alive.

Between that and Mari's actual lore, they could've done a lot of genre-bending.

The celebrity angle would've also been great to explore. Delving into conversations of the African Diaspora.

That can all still exist but we'll never see it even IF they did give her something. I feel like I'd be formulaic.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

While I thought the story was pointless. It did gives us another example of Vixen's animal energy constructs.

IMG_20230915_214032.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    While I thought the story was pointless. It did gives us another example of Vixen's animal energy constructs.

IMG_20230915_214032.jpg
    As cool as Vixen's animal constructs can be, I wish artists would move away from them because they will only draw the most basic animal constructs/spirits that people can easily recognize. I feel the same way when they do this in animation and live action as well. She has access to all animal spirits but we keep being shown the same basic animals (elephant, dolphin, bat, bird, cheetah, gorilla, frog, etc.)
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    As cool as Vixen's animal constructs can be, I wish artists would move away from them because they will only draw the most basic animal constructs/spirits that people can easily recognize. I feel the same way when they do this in animation and live action as well. She has access to all animal spirits but we keep being shown the same basic animals (elephant, dolphin, bat, bird, cheetah, gorilla, frog, etc.)
    I actually don't mind the "Red" energy constructs, well within limits. As long as she still internalize the animal abilities as well...with some minor shape-shifting.

She pretty much an animal Green Lantern now.

I actually don't mind the "Red" energy constructs, well within limits. As long as she still internalize the animal abilities as well...with some minor shape-shifting.

She pretty much an animal Green Lantern now.
    I think the only time those animal auras should be showing is when she is trying to scare someone with them or distract someone with them while she is really mimicking other animals. But those animal auras/spirits/constructs being visible are a dead giveaway to her enemies what her attack moves are, and it's not a good battle strategy.

If I was writing Vixen, I'd make it so that she's coming toward someone, and that person has no idea what animal she is mimicking because she gives no clues, hints or giveaways. She'd be cunning and secretive with her powers.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

So after rereading Truth & Justice, I gotta say it was pretty good. I wish the writer could have continued writing Vixen and the GG. Geoffrey Thorne really put some effect into Vixen and the new members of GG.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I think the only time those animal auras should be showing is when she is trying to scare someone with them or distract someone with them while she is really mimicking other animals. But those animal auras/spirits/constructs being visible are a dead giveaway to her enemies what her attack moves are, and it's not a good battle strategy.

If I was writing Vixen, I'd make it so that she's coming toward someone, and that person has no idea what animal she is mimicking because she gives no clues, hints or giveaways. She'd be cunning and secretive with her powers.
    I'm not against her using energy constructs, as long as she can still internalize her animal abilities.

Hell, I just noticed Vixen did all this without her totem.

IMG_20230917_191728.jpg
    IMG_20230917_195131.jpg
    IMG_20230917_195237.jpg
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 09-17-2023 at 06:02 PM.

Hard pass on the animal constructs being anything more than a visualization of which animal she it channeling.
    JUSTICE LEAGUE (UNLIMITED) still had the best take on Mari's powers...

Good or Bad it seems to be the way DC is going with her abilities. Like I said, I'm fine with it as long as she can still internalize/mimick animal abilities while in human form.

Like MoneySpider, I prefer if she kept whatever animal she is using invisible but I'm not against the energy construct.

Red energy construction looks like one of her abilities now.

Love or hate, her powers are now visible.
    IMG_20230918_065046.jpg
    IMG_20230918_061917.jpg
    IMG_20230918_062211.jpg

Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 09-18-2023 at 05:11 AM.

Good or Bad it seems to be the way DC is going with her abilities. Like I said, I'm fine with it as long as she can still internalize/mimick animal abilities while in human form.

Like MoneySpider, I prefer if she kept whatever animal she is using invisible but I'm not against the energy construct.

Red energy construction looks like one of her abilities now.

Love or hate, her powers are now visible.
    IMG_20230918_065046.jpg
    IMG_20230918_061917.jpg
    IMG_20230918_062211.jpg

I'm not convinced that most of those examples are visible energy constructs, but visualizations for the reader/viewer. Live action adaptation having obvious limitations has more leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I'm not convinced that most of those examples are visible energy constructs, but visualizations for the reader/viewer. Live action adaptation having obvious limitations has more leeway.
    Oh, I got u.

IMG_20230918_141841.jpg

I like it when the spirit of the animal appears...