Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Funny.

The most highly-acclaimed runs on Thor comics have been those written by Walt Simonson, J. Michael Straczynski and the beginning of Jason Aaron's run. Of course, the original Stan Lee and Jack Kirby run deserves an honorable mention, as they created the hero.
    Article from CBR

So, is time killing that comic book media assumption that Aaron's run on Thor was amazing from start to finish, that was and is clearly contested by comic book fans/readers? Going by this article seems that way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sif View Post
    Funny.

Article from CBR

So, is time killing that comic book media assumption that Aaron's run on Thor was amazing from start to finish, that was and is clearly contested by comic book fans/readers? Going by this article seems that way.
    Yeah, the unfortunate implications of Aaron's run, and his underwhelming finish, are slowly creeping in.

It's been helped along by Endgame functionally denouncing the unworthy plotline, and Thor's latest movie, where Gorr was pretty underwhelming as a villain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I know Al will bring it with the story but I really hope that he brings the action with it.
    Action really isn't his strong suit unfortunately, his fights tend to be really short and fairly unbalanced, as in sometimes street tiers tend to do a lot better than powerhouses. But who knows, maybe he will bring on the thunder for this run.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Action really isn't his strong suit unfortunately, his fights tend to be really short and fairly unbalanced, as in sometimes street tiers tend to do a lot better than powerhouses. But who knows, maybe he will bring on the thunder for this run.
    Definitely aware that action is the one hole in Ewing's game I'm just hoping he's going to be able to level up in that department.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Immortal Hulk's action was pretty great though it helped that the art was kinda perfect

So Thor just needs a really dope-ass artist

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Definitely aware that action is the one hole in Ewing's game I'm just hoping he's going to be able to level up in that department.
    Well if we are pointing out things that aren't his strong suit I would also add pacing. As great as his Immortal Hulk run was his pacing can be all over the place. This was more so from the lack of experience, almost none of his books until than went higher than 13-14 issues, in fact he was expecting the same fate for Immortal Hulk, when that didn't happen he continued but you could tell that some issues felt rushed, others felt too fillery. We definitely did not need to cram 3-4 issues into one for the last issue just so we can end it on number 50. But i digress.... hopefully with more experience his pacing issues will be better sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Immortal Hulk's action was pretty great though it helped that the art was kinda perfect

So Thor just needs a really dope-ass artist
    Was it? Even the infamous issue 7 was kinda all over the place. Fights are definitely not his strong suit and Immortal Hulk fights were probably the weakest part of the comic.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Was it? Even the infamous issue 7 was kinda all over the place. Fights are definitely not his strong suit and Immortal Hulk fights were probably the weakest part of the comic.
    I would say so yeah, the fights were generally pretty good. I don't see the issue with 7, it was a pretty crazy spectacle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I would say so yeah, the fights were generally pretty good. I don't see the issue with 7, it was a pretty crazy spectacle.
    None of the fights apart from the one in issue 7 are memorable or talked about. And the one in 7 is talked about only because of what Hulk did to Thor specifically. Most of the fights were also fairly tame considering the characters they involved, like one of the first big fight Hulk had was with Sasquatch possessed by Brian Banner, they fought inside a hospital that somehow survived 2 Hulk level beings throwing everything they can at each other, felt really weird. They also tend to be very short, most of them lasting like 1 punch each even in cases when Hulk would fight someone around his level, but then he would fight characters much weaker and they would last longer or do better than OF Thor lol.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

I rather have fights that end rather quickly than being filler. There's no reason why Xemnu should be able to come close to a Hulk that's near the strongest he's ever been.

I was thinking more like his Guardians run where it was mostly carried by character beats and the art than, say, dynamic action.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    I rather have fights that end rather quickly than being filler. There's no reason why Xemnu should be able to come close to a Hulk that's near the strongest he's ever been.
    Depends what you mean by filler. Xemnu was dealt with fairly appropriately at that point, however what should have happened is that Hulk should have ended Dario, actually wouldn't have mind seeing him getting torn limb by limb. Cause the thing is, Hulk can be overwhelmingly more powerful than someone else and still have the fight not end after 1 hit, you can have that Hulk absolutely terrorize them and torture them. I don't think that's filler, i'd call that justice.

And just as Xemnu got one punched by Hulk. So probably should have been someone like Samson and Titania, while Black Panther shouldn't have done as well if not better against the same Hulk than someone like OF Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sif View Post
    Funny.

Article from CBR

I just wish that the Dan Jurgens run would get mentioned more often. It's Thor plus Krakoa except it's actually engrossing and we get to see Thor's son.

Also all my excitement for this new run went away when you guys said that Ewing isn't a good action writer. That is a deal breaker for me. He is writing a Thor title.

A good character writer tends to feed the readers appetite for action. So if he good at the first and bad at the second it's going to be akin to sitting down for a meal with great appetizers and a horrible main course.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-20-2023 at 07:00 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I just wish that the Dan Jurgens run would get mentioned more often. It's Thor plus Krakoa except it's actually engrossing and we get to see Thor's son.

Also all my excitement for this new run went away when you guys said that Ewing isn't a good action writer. That is a deal breaker for me. He is writing a Thor title.

A good character writer tends to feed the readers appetite for action. So if he good at the first and bad at the second it's going to be akin to sitting down for a meal with great appetizers and a horrible main course.
    I mean, that doesn't stop people from saying Immortal Hulk is fantastic. What are your thoughts on Cates' work on Thor? I feel like that was on the other side of the spectrum where it was largely mindless action with paper-thin plot and messy characters. Personally, I rather have someone like Ewing who understands characterization and can weave an interesting story that leaves the reader intrigued, while respecting what came before. But I should probably leave my hat out of the ring of this because I'm really not much of a fan of Thor so I could be totally missing the mark when it comes to this character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

I mean he still made Immortal Hulk work, it was still a fantastic book and you would think it would be impossible to separate Hulk from action, like what is Hulk without smashing? But he managed to do it for the most part, also IH started in 2018 and ended in 2021, he definitely has more experience since than.

I think the action will be better than it was in IH, my main concern would be with guest stars, I hope Thor doesn't get into fights with the Avengers or X-men or anyone else. Cause if you look at Ewings books from Contest of Champions to US/Mighty Avengers to Immortal Hulk to his X-men titles there are certain characters(mainly street tiers) that always do great, better than others when they really shouldn't and the more time goes on the more noticeable it becomes. You better hope Thor never gets into a fight with someone like Storm lol, she is pretty much unbeatable under Ewing.