Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

I’m not complaining, it was said and it put me off. As I recall I read the first issue and disliked Thor’s portrayal, which (iirc) was rude and grumpy rather than the classy, noble Thor that I’m a fan of.

BANNED

Yea Thor literally acted like a full blown ******* in the first arc at least, he was throwing his weight around, yelling at everyone, cursing, etc... He did mellow out later on in the series but there is no denying he started off like a grumpy old jerk, at times reminding me in the way Aaron wrote Odin.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Yea Thor literally acted like a full blown ******* in the first arc at least, he was throwing his weight around, yelling at everyone, cursing, etc... He did mellow out later on in the series but there is no denying he started off like a grumpy old jerk, at times reminding me in the way Aaron wrote Odin.
    He started off grumpy because he was taking the entire weight of Asgard onto his shoulders. And hell, even that was an improvement compared to Aaron.

He also bitch slapped Galactus when the world eater killed an innocent planet. He was kind and empathetic, and has very much not been Aaron's Thor

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He started off grumpy because he was taking the entire weight of Asgard onto his shoulders. And hell, even that was an improvement compared to Aaron.

He also bitch slapped Galactus when the world eater killed an innocent planet. He was kind and empathetic, and has very much not been Aaron's Thor
    Man I enjoyed that.

I know Galactus is a cosmic necessity and all that, but its nice when someone finally pays him back for the trillions he's destroyed. Its the same kick you get watching Dragon Ball and seeing Beerus get his ass beat. Cosmic importance or not, still a murderous dick.

Regarding Cates, what he actually wrote, was to undone Aaron major changes, (ex. looks and hammer), so in my view i don't put him in Aaron's bag.

One of things that Aaron's era will always be know for, was the propaganda around the idea that if you don't like like it, its sexism, misogyny or what ever, but not based on the characterizations, storytelling, narrative etc., now i already see users claim that we were all excited with Ewing announcement, were we!?

I wonder if Ewing's merits in non Asgardian books, will drive the comic book community create some kind of shield, to protected his writing from potential, criticism, hopefully NOT.

That said, after his interview regarding Immortal Thor, i am on board and hope he can deliver with Thor and his world.

And, to be honest when writing this post, i could not get rid the perception that probably there a need to move forward when it comes to Aaron's work, PAST now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

He is a thousands of years old God that has become King, he should carry his role with more dignity and nobleness not act like a petulant child. I feel like people dont understand Thor... he isn't US, yes he can have some human faillings but he is suppose to be better than us, not just because he is a god but because when you have that much experience in life, you are not gonna act like an angsty teenager, you gain wisdom that not even Reed Richards has, you dont tend to act as impulsively at everything as you did when you were younger.

Bitchslapping Galactus is it's own problem but that has more to do with Cates just having Galactus killed off 3 different times in his stories, either way I didn't say Thor had no empathy or that he was a complete monster. He killed someone for killing a planet full of innocents, of course Thor was gonna react to that, Frank Castle would have freaking killed him for that(if he was capable) and he is a massive jerk.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 06-04-2023 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    We were all pretty abuzz the day of announcement, ngl! Very excited about it still--looking fwd to some new preview art\story details to fire me up

What does everyone think of the new costume, btw? I think it's...alright
    I was off the forums when this was first announced and when I heard about it a day or two later, this thread wasn't even on the first page. So I missed that early discussion.

The costume is.....okay. Not a big fan of the helmet, nor a beardless Thor. And I'm fond of the costume Thor's been wearing (more or less) since JMS. That felt like the classic look with a proper, modern update and I liked the chainmail style sleeves and such. Not really feeling this old school vibe. But whatever, I'll adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by adey040812 View Post
    I agree. I can't wait and just like you said, I'm surprised there aren't more discussions on Ewing's appointment on Thor.
    I really hope Ewing brings back the right type of characterisation to Thor and writes him as a wise and competent king who uses his brain just as much as his brawn. I think this is something Ewing can do,especially considering the threats that he says Thor will face.Brawn won't be enough to defeat them, I think.
    I hope for all that too. And I feel confident that Ewing will do right by Thor. His Loki: Agent of Asgard is one of my favorite Marvel titles from the last ten years, and I've yet to read an Ewing book that I didn't like. I'm sure there's folks who won't like it of course, for all I know I'll be one of them, but Ewing has never given me a reason to question the quality of his work.

As far as Odin is concerned, I think his status could be resolved in the upcoming annual as we see on the covers and preview art of the first issue that Mjolnir isn't cracked anymore and is whole. Maybe, this plot point is solved in the annual and Valhalla's status is restored.
    I assume the annual must be addressing this. Nowhere else to do it, really.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I was off the forums when this was first announced and when I heard about it a day or two later, this thread wasn't even on the first page. So I missed that early discussion.

The costume is.....okay. Not a big fan of the helmet, nor a beardless Thor. And I'm fond of the costume Thor's been wearing (more or less) since JMS. That felt like the classic look with a proper, modern update and I liked the chainmail style sleeves and such. Not really feeling this old school vibe. But whatever, I'll adapt.
    I appreciate the return of beardless Thor .

It always surprises me when they go back to a retro look after a slew of relatively solid/good modern costumes but at least it's not the post-Jane Thor look.

A lot comes down to how the artist draws the costume. The original costume looks best drawn by an artist that is very stylised, imo. I always found the original costume a bit bland and I never liked the pudding-bowl helmet, but Simonson made it work. It’s not a bad default costume, and better than some newer attempts. I did like the chain mail sleeved version with the slightly modified helmet, which was close to the original but just a bit cooler.

I’m hoping that we’ll see Thor’s personality go back to being intelligent and well-mannered, and I hope we get to see a return of Mjolnir’s cool space warp abilities (did Cates bring those back?). It always being just a club that occasionally fires lightning is a bit dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

It always surprises me when they go back to a retro look after a slew of relatively solid/good modern costumes but at least it's not the post-Jane Thor look.
    Agreed. Glad to see the return of clean-shaven Odinson

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-04-2023 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    A lot comes down to how the artist draws the costume. The original costume looks best drawn by an artist that is very stylised, imo. I always found the original costume a bit bland and I never liked the pudding-bowl helmet, but Simonson made it work. It’s not a bad default costume, and better than some newer attempts. I did like the chain mail sleeved version with the slightly modified helmet, which was close to the original but just a bit cooler.

I’m hoping that we’ll see Thor’s personality go back to being intelligent and well-mannered, and I hope we get to see a return of Mjolnir’s cool space warp abilities (did Cates bring those back?). It always being just a club that occasionally fires lightning is a bit dull.
    Hard same.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. Glad to see the return of clean-shaven Odinson

My only issue with the costume is I dislike the unitard aspect which I generally do for most costumes. Those lines on his thighs that denote the separation of his torso and pant-leggings.

Get rid of his those lines, either make it a full body suit or make it pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Heathen.

"We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    My only issue with the costume is I dislike the unitard aspect which I generally do for most costumes. Those lines on his thighs that denote the separation of his torso and pant-leggings.

Get rid of his those lines, either make it a full body suit or make it pants.
    Hmm. You mean like the Eric Masterson version of Thor?

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-05-2023 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hmm. You mean like the Eric Masterson version of Thor?

Ooooh I like that, that looks good.

My only experience with Masterson Thor was during the Infinity Gauntlet story.