Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556 LastLast
    Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sif View Post
    I honestly still struggle to understand all that hype around Al Ewing writing Thor, he was not necessarily a newbie doing that, the cold hard truth is that, its basically a sequel.

-Loki Agent of Asgard 2 (what happens when Thor is King).

- Al Ewing is a good and sometimes great cosmic writer and Thor can go there, but is a lot more than just that, remember the first issue when the narration was talking about Gaea? And how the tone immediately felt godly and mystical, well it got lost going forward, only shades of it now, at least in some part there was the need of that ancient book talking about Toranos.
    If you read the solicits, you'd know all that stuff is going to wrap around. It's clear the current arc is about stories and how they tie into myths and gods.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

As a long-long-long time fan of Thor (not of the recent stuff) and a recent fan of Al Ewing's writing I've loved and enjoyed this Thor run very much so far. The lyrical prose reminds me a lot of Walter Simonson's run back in the day. And Coccolo's art is just beauty-full and appropriate for Ewing's type of storytelling here.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    If you read the solicits, you'd know all that stuff is going to wrap around. It's clear the current arc is about stories and how they tie into myths and gods.
    The tone just isn't there, besides i was not going to mention it, because i know others want to have Al on a different spectrum in contrast with Aaron, but some of the primitive mistakes are there just like Aaron did, everything was just incredibly convenient, remember this? First, notice how the same writer explores the same concept (lightning attacks) differently, because he wants to glorify other character in Thor's own comic, then yeah Loki was worthy of the hammer in Agent of Asgard, because he was inverted, here its just because its a Thor corps arc and unfortunately there isn't much left besides that.

Like i said, i may suspect what the outcome could be, and if well executed maybe i will view this first arc differently, for now its just a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    As a long-long-long time fan of Thor (not of the recent stuff) and a recent fan of Al Ewing's writing I've loved and enjoyed this Thor run very much so far. The lyrical prose reminds me a lot of Walter Simonson's run back in the day. And Coccolo's art is just beauty-full and appropriate for Ewing's type of storytelling here.
    Agree on the speech pattern and prose. It's not necessarily Shakespearean English but it's fairly proper. It reads like an Asgardian story and not just a typical Earthbound superhero story.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Avengers Inc #3 had some foreshadowing for events to come in Immortal Thor:

spoilers:
    Turns out Skurge wasn’t actually murdered, he willingly let himself be killed by a disguised Odin because now that Odin is in Valhalla the only way for a soul to leave it other than by the All-Father’s permission is for them to die by Odin’s hand. It’s a secret escape clause Odin put in when he made Valhalla.

As for why Skurge needed to leave Valhalla, he had a dream of a bloody Thor wielding Mjolnir and Tormod and wearing his Belt of Strength in front of a bridge (the last page of Ewing’s backup story in the Thor Annual a few months ago). Skurge and Odin believe it’s because Skurge’s fate got mixed with Thor’s when he took his place and stood alone at Gjallerbru but now fate is trying to force itself back into place. Skurge left to help Thor and Odin was trying to keep it secret because he knows that telling Thor could lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy and also that the rest of the Einherjer would all want to go and help.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    This was probably the best written Odin's been in years.

I do hate the constant reviving of Skurge though.
    end of spoilers

Did anyone see the cover for the fourth issue of the new Avengers series coming in January called Avengers Twilight?
    It has Thor on the cover by Alex Ross, who’s painting all of the series’ covers.
    It’s an interesting design by Ross as Marvel describe Thor as being more military looking.
    It’ll be interesting to see how Thor is used in this apocalyptic series as you usually don’t see him show up in these events.

https://screenrant.com/thor-new-cost...ght-alex-ross/

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Thor getting his spine almost broken as stated by omniscient narration by Jupiter's atmosphere is pitiful. I get that Ewing is taking potshots on battle boarders but Jupiter's atmospheric pressure is only 2.5 times bigger than the Earth. Even normal humans can take more pressure than that.
    Man, please do better research, you have no idea. At sealevel earth has an atmospheric pressure of ~1,013.25 hPa, you find that maybe in Jupiter's atmosphere but the closer you get to thet center it increases drastically. Jupiter has no surface its a gas giant. So at sea-level you speak of 1 atm, the closer you get to Jupiter's core it increaes to 100 million of earth atmospheres.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by speedy69 View Post
    Man, please do better research, you have no idea. At sealevel earth has an atmospheric pressure of ~1,013.25 hPa, you find that maybe in Jupiter's atmosphere but the closer you get to thet center it increases drastically. Jupiter has no surface it’s a gas giant. So at sea-level you speak of 1 atm, the closer you get to Jupiter's core it increaes to 100 million of earth atmospheres.

You know what has more pressure than Jupiter’s core? The core of the Sun, where Thor has been before and his back didn’t break.

Not sure if its a feat, but what is going to matter to save this arc and eventually the run, is the shy hints that the dynamic between Odin force Thor and Mjolnir enchantment can change.

So if Al Ewing gather all this characters to demonstrate that in other to Thor defeat Toranos he consciously or unconsciously will made a transition from Odin standards of worthiness to Thor standards of worthiness, and now and for a substantial period of time only Thor can lift the hammer and just can't change it because a lot (in big scale) is thrown at him, and even after that, others can only be worthy in very special circumstances and for short periods of time, (i mean with the exception of Thor no one can carry it daily) yeah (still depends in the execution) but there is a good probability that will work.

If its just another inconsequential team work, ok then...

So this page is a simple but incredibly effective method of characterization, in my view. It gives the reader both the distinction between your standard earthbound superhero and a mystical deity from another realm. Also lets the reader empathize with Thor despite him being virtually immortal, in that while the centuries and millennia go by, he sees those he befriends simply live out their life and die. But to him, 80 years is like just another Tuesday afternoon (per the dialogue). The scene is made stronger by the fact that he's talking to Steve, who also will have a longer lifespan than normal humans, so you would imagine he would also understand and empathize. Makes their relationship stronger.

I'm also a big fan of Daniel Acuna's artwork. He would be a great regular artist for a Thor title in the future, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post

So this page is a simple but incredibly effective method of characterization, in my view. It gives the reader both the distinction between your standard earthbound superhero and a mystical deity from another realm. Also lets the reader empathize with Thor despite him being virtually immortal, in that while the centuries and millennia go by, he sees those he befriends simply live out their life and die. But to him, 80 years is like just another Tuesday afternoon (per the dialogue). The scene is made stronger by the fact that he's talking to Steve, who also will have a longer lifespan than normal humans, so you would imagine he would also understand and empathize. Makes their relationship stronger.

I'm also a big fan of Daniel Acuna's artwork. He would be a great regular artist for a Thor title in the future, IMO.
    This is what. I love about Thor when writers actually characterise him as an intelligent and thoughtful being, not a drunk buffoon who just wants to hit things with Mjolnir. It’s such a shame that we had to put up with aspects of this characterisation during Aaron’s run.
    I’m happy that Ewing is showing Thor in this intelligent light in his run (so far). Thor is no Reed but he is and should be portrayed as a very interesting and intelligent being who doesn’t try to solve everything by just hitting it with Mjolnir.
    As a king, Thor should be wise, intelligent, regal, powerful and caring.

I like Acuna’s art too. His run on Uncanny Avengers was good.
    He’s drawing the new Avengers limited series in January, Avengers: Twilight. Thor will be involved in that.
    Some are saying it’s the Avengers version of Kingdom Come.The writer is Chip Dzarsky.

https://screenrant.com/thor-new-cost...ght-alex-ross/
    Last edited by adey040812; 12-05-2023 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post

I didn't always love the Cates run but it definitely had it's moments.

Did Asgardian beer ever become commercialized on Earth, especially when the city was in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Did Asgardian beer ever become commercialized on Earth, especially when the city was in Oklahoma?
    Asgardian Mead would become pretty popular .