Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I trust Ewing, but this feels dumb. And I didn't need to see Jane as Thor again.

Also, Storm and Loki but no Thunderstrike? Come on.

I wonder if these other Thor's are from different dimensions.
    Thor Corps 1993 4-Limited series

Secret Wars: Thors 2015

BANNED

One thing you guys gotta know about Ewing that you can see in every book he writes including his Immortal Hulk book is that he loves his supporting cast. If you expected this story to be a solo Thor journey or even just mostly a solo Thor journey, you are gravely mistaken. You are gonna see other characters constantly, you might get entire issues with no Thor in them in fact. Oh and he is a far lefty, not saying this as a negative towards him just to state that get used to seeing Jane Thor from time to time wielding a hammer and all that.

As much as i love his Hulk run though, i hope he does drop the "you are a white man" finger wagging he did there for this book. I really dont want to see Loki telling Thor how he doesn't understand them because he is a straight, white man or something... That type of dialogue is cringe enough for twitter, let alone when writing a story you want to tell.

So, some of you think Thor's supporting cast is (only) characters that wield hammers? What a legacy Jason!

Ultimate Member

lol, Ewing is playing with a concept that dates back to the 90s and people are blowing a gasket.

Lets give him an arc or two before reaching for the eject button, eh?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    lol, Ewing is playing with a concept that dates back to the 90s and people are blowing a gasket.

Agreed.

Apart from Jane, none of this stuff is recent.

Storm used a hammer that Loki created way back in Asgardian Wars.

Ewing is just mining Marvel lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

Too Storm in X-Men Gold 25-35

What If...? #12
    (February, 1990)
    Last edited by juan678; 09-16-2023 at 12:53 PM.

I could swear Axis and Loki Agent of Asgard Thor were recent, and familiar to the current writer?

I stand by what i said, i love Thor supporting cast, that is AMAZING, these characters don't get to be amazing because they wield hammers, yeah i prefer Balder the Brave to any of the characters that wants to be Thor because of some chunk of uru.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Thor Corps 1993 4-Limited series

Goddamn that is a glam metal image if I ever saw one.

Beautiful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    One thing you guys gotta know about Ewing that you can see in every book he writes including his Immortal Hulk book is that he loves his supporting cast. If you expected this story to be a solo Thor journey or even just mostly a solo Thor journey, you are gravely mistaken. You are gonna see other characters constantly, you might get entire issues with no Thor in them in fact. Oh and he is a far lefty, not saying this as a negative towards him just to state that get used to seeing Jane Thor from time to time wielding a hammer and all that.

As much as i love his Hulk run though, i hope he does drop the "you are a white man" finger wagging he did there for this book. I really dont want to see Loki telling Thor how he doesn't understand them because he is a straight, white man or something... That type of dialogue is cringe enough for twitter, let alone when writing a story you want to tell.
    Oh I'm totally fine with promoting the supporting cast, just don't need a bunch of other hammer-wielders (remember when Aaron gave Freyja a hammer?).

At least I don't think Ewing is going to bend over backwards for Jane like prior eras.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

I feel like people just get antsy seeing a bunch of other Thors or hammer-wielders and how that dilutes Thor himself. Because that kind of defined the Jane era.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like people just get antsy seeing a bunch of other Thors or hammer-wielders and how that dilutes Thor himself. Because that kind of defined the Jane era.
    It tells you how much Aaron's **** ruined Mjolnir when Thor fans are wary of hammers now.

This would be the equivalent of a writer making Spider-Man fans be wary of Spider-Powers, or a Hulk writer making fans wary of gamma radiation, or making X-Men fans wary of X-gene lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sif View Post
    I could swear Axis and Loki Agent of Asgard Thor were recent, and familiar to the current writer?

I stand by what i said, i love Thor supporting cast, that is AMAZING, these characters don't get to be amazing because they wield hammers, yeah i prefer Balder the Brave to any of the characters that wants to be Thor because of some chunk of uru.
    Honestly, after Jane's stint as Thor, I'm pretty darn sick of hammers. Far too much emphasis was placed on Mjolnir, is if that were what made Thor special rather than a reward for/proof of his already being worthy. I don't like Thor because he has a hammer and more hammers doesn't make the story better. At least a couple of those characters (i.e. Loki and Storm) are perfectly powerful in their own right and don't need hammers to be great allies. We'll see, I guess...

Not really loving revisiting Axis Loki, either, but at least he's wearing shoes on the cover art. I really miss him wearing shoes.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I would say another issue is that the over-emphasis on Mjolnir also dilutes the other famous weapons and artifacts of Norse Myth.

The worse case of this is how in Aaron's stuff Mjolnir became the main weapon of Young Odin despite Odin's iconic weapon being the spear Gungnir which was pretty much forgotten about as a result.

I'm not going to jump yet, but I'm going to prepare the boat.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I finally read the first issue and wanted to chime in with my thoughts. I loved Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery and it felt like Al Ewing's Loki: Agent of Asgard was a great followup. So it makes sense that Ewing would draw on that in this run. That being said, given how Immortal Hulk was a definitive statement, I wonder if he'll have issues making it more groundbreaking than those stories if he ties too much into them.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I think as long as Thor isn't depicted as a thuggish drunk I won't start to panic. The first issue was good, Ewing has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.