Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

spoilers:
    Well, now that was a beautiful first issue. Starting off with a classic Al Ewing poetic intro like a proper Immortal book before we get another book of Ewing waxing lyrical and continuity respecting with the Mighty Thor. And Martin Coccolo's art is gorgeous.

Honestly I'm going to be treating this as a stealth sequel to Al Ewing's Loki run for a variety of reasons, especially when he finds a creative way to bring back a "Villainous" Loki for Thor to fight without undoing Loki's character development.

It's just nice to see Classic Thor in his element. No whining about his hammer, mead, or stuck in self-reflection or depression, just a charismatic, noble, and powerful God of Thunder there to do right by Asgard and Midgard and all who need him. This is the most Thor has felt like Thor in a long time. I was a little skeptical about revamping the classic look again when his previous design was so great, but it works here, especially with the art. Even Ewing prefers a happier Thor.

I never expected to see Thor scold the weather, but there you go. Though it was also building up to the climax of the issue.

The Warriors Four continue to feel forced. Like I remember when Aaron was trying to replace Volstagg with Hildegarde but now Volstagg is back and Hildegarde really doesn't add anything to the group other than being a woman.

I respect Ewing trying to acknowledge Loki's gender-fluid nature by starting out in female form and having characters use they/them pronouns, but I feel like it's wasted effort when Loki being a guy and being known as Thor's brother is too steeped into the public consciousness. "Sibling" doesn't quite have the ring as "brother" coming from Thor, even if I get where he's coming from. Not sure if this run or if that's Marvel's current policy with Loki will matter in the long run.

Thor saving Mutants from Orchis! You love to see it!

Thor has dealt with so much daddy issues I guess it was about time he dealt with mommy issues. And thankfully not with the Phoenix involved!
    end of spoilers

Thanks for the little recap Frontier. I'll be going to pick mine up on lunch break but from the sounds of it, we're getting off to a good start.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Ultimate Member

Yeah, the first issue kind of reminds me of Jurgen's first issue as well.

This is very much a return to the classic Thor.

This reads a lot more like pre-2007 Thor.

Loki got me pretty lost here. I haven't read anything about the character in a while and it seems like a new character to me.

Well, first i was like, so Agent of Asgard part II, then sill not empathetic with the comic, Superman Thor, only when he looked at his hammer and said, spoilers:
    clearly that he now defined the hammer worthiness
    end of spoilers, i started to pay more attention, these guys concept and Gaea-Son, Gaea herself, then made me realize that, could it be that Al Ewing is not afraid to write about All Father Thor?

So yeah good first issue and basis, obviously did not like everything, but Al seems courageous, hopefully there is some courage also for Sif, it was fine for the first issue, but there has be be a LOT more for her in this new run.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Absolutely LOVED this first issue. It puts me in mind of the recent Avengers relaunch where the scale and scope are greater and the threats more ominous and deep.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    The bar is high indeed! I feel like Coccolo does beautiful work. I worry if he can handle deadlines half as well as Bennett did on Hulk. We'll see

Talk of Gaia and Thor's extended family has me thinking. Imagine an upside-down Asgard (Dragsa?), where she's basically Odin, and Thor's cousins are the gods of the realm. They have their own Sif stand-in, a warriors four, etc. I think that's what Ewing's cooking

and loki will be the troublemaker who has to play Thor and Gaia against one another. It could be great--a play on Sandman vs the Endless. A little Game of Thrones, a pinch of King Arthur
    I had pierced the veil. Understand ye now, or not?

A stunning first issue!

I knew Ewing could weave a yarn--continuity is his happy place, and what is myth, if not a continuity sandbox? His Thor grins as he soars. Aaron was all about grounding Odinson--without Mjolnir, he couldn't fly. Ewing's takes to the skies with grace and vigor

Coccolo blew me away. He takes exactly zero shortcuts this issue. And he sells it--the weight of giants, the thrill of flight. The taste of thunder in the air. But it's with atmosphere where he really goes ham. There are pages toward the end that ooze life that's up there with the best of Immortal Hulk. I wish I had a physical copy. Saucy stuff. I'd have this book come out once in 2 months, if it insured Coccolo could cook.

Fantastic, tremendous debut!

(Immortal Thor says Trans Rights!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sif View Post
    Well, first i was like, so Agent of Asgard part II, then sill not empathetic with the comic, Superman Thor, only when he looked at his hammer and said, spoilers:
    clearly that he now defined the hammer worthiness
    end of spoilers, i started to pay more attention, these guys concept and Gaea-Son, Gaea herself, then made me realize that, could it be that Al Ewing is not afraid to write about All Father Thor?

So yeah good first issue and basis, obviously did not like everything, but Al seems courageous, hopefully there is some courage also for Sif, it was fine for the first issue, but there has be be a LOT more for her in this new run.
    I'm already tired of Sif being on the Bifrost. I know we see she shows up in the field often enough, but it just doesn't suit her like it did her brother.

Fantastic Member

Thor fans eating good this year, I caught the first issue and I gotta say its pretty fucking intersting.

Ultimate Member

The one thing I really loved about the issue was Thor simply deciding what worthiness is and no longer railing against his father's commandments.

It's something that Aaron injected into the mythos that really through stuff off and didn't really make sense.

Between Odin and Thor, they could have simply decided what was "worthy" and moved on to more serious things.

Ultimate Member

Also, it's good to see that Thor has a connection to Midgard that's always brought him back there.

Too many writers have ignored this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm already tired of Sif being on the Bifrost. I know we see she shows up in the field often enough, but it just doesn't suit her like it did her brother.
    Well like i said, there was too much Loki in the first panels, in the current role i think All Seeing Sif connects better with All Father Thor than regular Thor, i understand why Al wanted to be Loki to fix the Bifrost/rainbow bridge, here is hope that there is a time that All Seing Sif breaks the current mold. (not Al's creative decisions so benefit of the doubt for now).

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The one thing I really loved about the issue was Thor simply deciding what worthiness is and no longer railing against his father's commandments.

It's something that Aaron injected into the mythos that really through stuff off and didn't really make sense.

Between Odin and Thor, they could have simply decided what was "worthy" and moved on to more serious things.
    Al making Odin Force Thor the hammer enchanter is huge no? Even canon wise, you can correct me if i am wrong but with this explicitly, this is the first time we see Thor really step to his father role, at least for me this is a huge and courageous step.

Well I didn't get to actually read it on my break, but just as well because I was able to savor the issue like I needed to. That full page spread of Toranos sent chills through me.

This is the Thor I been waiting to read. No more: brooding, hammer issues, daddy problems, unworthiness hinging around every corner....just a confident hero doing what he knows is right in his heart. Then not just hearing him evoking his mother's power, but actually seeing her being a part of the story. I'm VERY intrigued where this is going.

I haven't been reading much concerning Loki so I'm on the fence with what's going on there. I'll just keep reading and see where it goes.

All in all a very solid first issue.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I want my Sif back
    The Mighty Thor Vol. 01-028.jpg

Ultimate Member

Al making Odin Force Thor the hammer enchanter is huge no? Even canon wise, you can correct me if i am wrong but with this explicitly, this is the first time we see Thor really step to his father role, at least for me this is a huge and courageous step.
    Yes, this is the first time we've seen Thor act like this as regards the hammer's worthiness. It's a big and necessary step IMO.

If Thor is going to be the All-Father, then he should be the All-Father in all regards.