Mighty Member

Default Anyone read 4th world?

I binged Jack Kirby's 4th world Omnibus 1-4 in two days (just finished reading it actually.)

Towards the end. One thing really stuck in the back of my head, and that is: What if Wonder Woman originated or got integrated into a 4th world story. Sure she went there in WW#22, but what if she stayed or came from there. Kind of a one woman Forever people team.

Her alias "Wonder Woman" fits the whole "Highfather", "Mister Miracle" naming routine and "Paradise island" the "New Genesis" and "Apokolips". The mythology of a woman only island would easily fit the 4th world if given some slight scifi paint. The old gods died, but the amazons didn't.

And just thinking about the possibility of interactions between Diana and Barda. Or Darksied. Oh, there stories that could be told

Just give it a thought. Perhaps as a stand alone book/run (non canon) or something. Any thoughts?

My thoughts? I feel like this has been done before with another hero.

There's only one hero outside the Fourth World who was ever truly integrated into it. Had the whole alias, mythological/biblical aspects of origin and power levels fitting in. Kirby himself aligned his Fourth World adjacent to that hero. The relationship between that hero and the Fourth World continue to this day.

That hero, obviously, is Superman.

I'd rather Wonder Woman build her mythos from the inside out, as opposed to from the outside in. She should be involved in canonical projects that develop and grow HER supporting cast, HER personal rogues, HER legend, not borrowing from other franchises.

As an Elseworlds one-shot or mini-series? Sure. A WONDER WOMAN/NEW GODS story might be cool. Anything more that, not interested.

She would have in Azzarello's run, but then she started dating Superman.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I could see Diana dating the pre-New 52 Orion as he was a noble, courageous, mature warrior. Perhaps after Orion is built up and enhanced in the New 52, he'll become similar to how he was pre-New 52 and then get a shot with Wonder Woman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

I would LOVE a Wonder Woman/New Gods miniseries, and I want it to be drawn (and maybe written?) by Walt Simonson.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    My thoughts? I feel like this has been done before with another hero.

There's only one hero outside the Fourth World who was ever truly integrated into it. Had the whole alias, mythological/biblical aspects of origin and power levels fitting in. Kirby himself aligned his Fourth World adjacent to that hero. The relationship between that hero and the Fourth World continue to this day.

That hero, obviously, is Superman.

I'd rather Wonder Woman build her mythos from the inside out, as opposed to from the outside in. She should be involved in canonical projects that develop and grow HER supporting cast, HER personal rogues, HER legend, not borrowing from other franchises.

As an Elseworlds one-shot or mini-series? Sure. A WONDER WOMAN/NEW GODS story might be cool. Anything more that, not interested.
    Yes of course. Sups. And Superman's visit in Supertown was the thing that got me thinking about it the most actually, when he tells Highfather that he doesn't feel he belongs there. Got me thinking, would the amazons have done the same? Would they stay true to the way they live, or would they risk that in hopes on going even further with it?

I find the consequences/problems that would bring to the table would be very interesting. Perhaps they'd give up gods and magic to embrace technology. Thus in time risking the goings becoming individualism vs collectivism. Or perhaps they'd feel the need of more separatism, building even bigger walls around them than before so that they can maintain their standards.

There's alot of interesting examples from Sweden (where I'm from) on developments. For example alot of discussion about more and more feminists leaning to the right (which still is communism over the pond) instead of left. There's been interesting developments in religion also. Female christians priests and similar developments in Islam (including gay marriage, female imams and so forth).

But yeah. It's probably best if it's kept to an elseworld mini-series. If in continuity, there'd be crossovers, wars and stuff that'd interfere. And while Green laterns/New Gods sounds cool on the paper, I'm quite worried it'll just turn into some cosmic punching fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I could see Diana dating the pre-New 52 Orion as he was a noble, courageous, mature warrior.
    It's this some later day Orion, just before new 52? I think Kirby's lived for/by his anger. For example brutally destroying his opponents due to it, or when he killed Esak (a disfigured child) towards the end while saying "The ultimate anger is the ultimate stimulus!". Just as Darkseid wasn't all bad, New Genesis noble nor was Orion all good.

But it wasn't dating I meant, I meant bigger. World building bigger. Perhaps an amazon island on the surface of new genesis? Perhaps serving as a movement for women with the Supertown satellite could serve as a strong government, keeping things utopian.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I would LOVE a Wonder Woman/New Gods miniseries, and I want it to be drawn (and maybe written?) by Walt Simonson.
    I'm really interested in the upcoming Orion omnibus of his. You'v read it?

Incredible Member

Yes, Simonson's Orion was really great. I probably won't buy the omnibus because I have all of the issues, but it showed that he really loved that project.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Yes of course. Sups. And Superman's visit in Supertown was the thing that got me thinking about it the most actually, when he tells Highfather that he doesn't feel he belongs there. Got me thinking, would the amazons have done the same? Would they stay true to the way they live, or would they risk that in hopes on going even further with it?
    It's interesting, Superman doesn't belong there because he actually doesn't incorporate into the New Gods verse very well. When he gets there, he just doesn't know what to do as he becomes redundant. His main skill, punching bad guys is worthless on New Genesis, where they're above violence. All the other stuff, inspiration, superpowers- welp, they've already got plenty of that. He doesn't really know how to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    I'm really interested in the upcoming Orion omnibus of his. You'v read it?
    It's an underrated run but a true classic. Definitely worth checking out, and quite possibly the only thing post-Kirby that's really true to the spirit of the original New Gods.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    It's interesting, Superman doesn't belong there because he actually doesn't incorporate into the New Gods verse very well. When he gets there, he just doesn't know what to do as he becomes redundant. His main skill, punching bad guys is worthless on New Genesis, where they're above violence. All the other stuff, inspiration, superpowers- welp, they've already got plenty of that. He doesn't really know how to deal with it.
    Such an awesome book. Must read it again soon.

Btw. Dan Didio let slip that: "it's not just about the New Gods, but also the Old Gods." about his Forever people book in this interview http://www.newsarama.com/20984-dan-d...pril-2015.html

Wonder if that means Wonder Woman -in a way- will set some groundwork for more/other Kirby in the DCU? Feels like it fits since the inclusion of Apokolips in both Batman and Earth 2.

Just think about it, as I'v said before: What if Hera and Highfather got their groove on in the end of WW? Uniting the old and the new gods.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    It's an underrated run but a true classic. Definitely worth checking out, and quite possibly the only thing post-Kirby that's really true to the spirit of the original New Gods.
    Sounds great. I'll definitely look it up then!

I recently read through GM's Seven soldiers and Final Crisis. While Morrison certainly knew his 4th world while creating his 5th, it felt more smart than being from the heart.
    Last edited by borntohula; 09-09-2014 at 01:55 PM.