Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Ivan?
    Didn't he go evil and turn into a robot?

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    On the topic of celebrities and languages...

Christopher Lee: fluent Italian, French, Spanish, German; and English with a trained accent that he maintained throughout his lengthy life regardless of the various English accents to be found in England

Salma Hayek: Spanish, Arabic,Portuguese, and English with an accent

Tom Hiddleston: Spanish, French, Italian, Greek, Latin, Russian, German, Russian, Korean, Mandarin; and English with an RP accent that - like Christopher Lee - I expect he will be keeping for the rest of his life

Monica Bellucci: Italian, French, Persian, Spanish, and English with an accent

Viggo Mortensen: French, Italian, Norwegian; and has a nondescript accent possibly owing to growing up speaking Spanish, Danish, and English
    None of these examples make any sense. Two of them couldn't speak English without their foreign accent to save their lives and the other three aren't even speaking with a non-native speaker's accent ffs...
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Yeah the Iron Scorpion, I believe. Cut her guns in half, threw her out of a window, headbutted a truck with a little help from her.
    We confused them then, I thought of that monk guy called Molot Boga who was villain of the week shortly after him. I remember Iron Scorpion having swords though and not a gun, that's why I thought you meant Molot.

Look - spy women are his kryptonite. Nothing he could do about it.

But yeah I can't actually think of a non-sparring/training fight between them that wasn't first and foremost a story telling device more than a contest.
    spar.jpg

Even their sparring fights are better than what we got on Vormir though, minus the outfits of course
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You’re thinking of Moira
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Indeed, he went psycho-cyborg out of jealousy and Nat killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    You’re thinking of Moira
    That was the first thing that went through my mind too

Who doesn't want to turn themselves into an evil cyborg, right?
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    None of these examples make any sense. Two of them couldn't speak English without their foreign accent to save their lives and the other three aren't even speaking with a non-native speaker's accent ffs...
    I'd say they make more sense than bilingual Mina Kunis who was roughly 7 y.o. when she came to the States, particularly with this idea that a person who can speak several languages must be without an accent.

And it also calls into question what your idea of an accent is. There are distinct accents that exist within the same language group across different regions. Christopher Lee and Tom Hiddleston have such accents that, regardless of their multi-language ability, they still maintain.

Let's add Gal Gadot to the list. She can speak Hebrew, Arabic, Portuguese, French, German, and also English with an accent.

Could she as well as Salma and Monica hide their accents for an acting part? Uhhh, let's say maybe...? But why would they if (1) their accent is part of their movie star features and (2) there is no personal need or insecurity about themselves to make that change.

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    I'd say they make more sense than bilingual Mina Kunis who was roughly 7 y.o. when she came to the States, particularly with this idea that a person who can speak several languages must be without an accent.

And it also calls into question what your idea of an accent is. There are distinct accents that exist within the same language group across different regions. Christopher Lee and Tom Hiddleston have such accents that, regardless of their multi-language ability, they still maintain.

Let's add Gal Gadot to the list. She can speak Hebrew, Arabic, Portuguese, French, German, and also English with an accent.

Could she as well as Salma and Monica hide their accents for an acting part? Uhhh, let's say maybe...? But why would they if (1) their accent is part of their movie star features and (2) there is no personal need or insecurity about themselves to make that change.
    The particular idea stems from the fact that she's a fictional super spy in superhero comic books. If the writer claims she can speak ten languages without accent then she can speak ten languages without accent no matter if anybody exists in the real world who can do that or not. Just like Hawkeye is able to shoot an arrow into a target moving at high speed without even looking in that direction despite that being an impossible feat for any world class archer in the real world. Can't believe we are again at the point where I tell you that superhero comic books aren't realistic.

By the way Lee kept living in Britain for the biggest part of his life and therefore didn't have a reason to change his accent, same goes for Hiddleston who still lives in London.

We confused them then, I thought of that monk guy called Molot Boga who was villain of the week shortly after him. I remember Iron Scorpion having swords though and not a gun, that's why I thought you meant Molot.

spar.jpg

Even their sparring fights are better than what we got on Vormir though, minus the outfits of course
    Yeah i dunno why I said gun when he was the sword guy but oh well.

And what is the source on that very 90ies looking picture from a comic I clearly haven't read? :O

I'll say I also quite like the outfits. Just not necessarily the over the top proportions and how skintight they are but back then every guy in comics was jacked and every lady stacked and you would always see that through whatever they wore haha.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 01-11-2023 at 02:08 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

BANNED

The particular idea stems from the fact that she's a fictional super spy in superhero comic books. If the writer claims she can speak ten languages without accent then she can speak ten languages without accent no matter if anybody exists in the real world who can do that or not. Just like Hawkeye is able to shoot an arrow into a target moving at high speed without even looking in that direction despite that being an impossible feat for any world class archer in the real world. Can't believe we are again at the point where I tell you that superhero comic books aren't realistic.

By the way Lee kept living in Britain for the biggest part of his life and therefore didn't have a reason to change his accent, same goes for Hiddleston who still lives in London.
    For an island, Britain has 20-40 dialects for people to potentially be exposed to, but Lee's English accent did not change in his lifetime nor do I expect Hiddleston's.

In the context of comic books, our superheroes can have native accents like Banshee, Rogue, Gambit...

If a writer claims that 'Tasha can speak 10 languages without an accent, I can swallow that.

However, just because she can speak English without an accent does not mean that she doesn't have a Russian accent by default, like an English actress putting on a Southern accent for a role.

Always been partial to Natasha's spandex outfits.

If you want a Widow that still speaks with an accent, that's what Yelena is for.

I think it was in that recent one-shot she had with Red Guardian where she said she still views herself as Russian compared to Natasha.

BANNED

If you want a Widow that still speaks with an accent, that's what Yelena is for.

I think it was in that recent one-shot she had with Red Guardian where she said she still views herself as Russian compared to Natasha.
    So? Someone who considers herself Russian can still speak English without an accent for the spy games, just as someone who is a Russian expatriot or naturalized American can still speak English with a Russian accent.

Yeah i dunno why I said gun when he was the sword guy but oh well.

And what is the source on that very 90ies looking picture from a comic I clearly haven't read? :O

I'll say I also quite like the outfits. Just not necessarily the over the top proportions and how skintight they are but back then every guy in comics was jacked and every lady stacked and you would always see that through whatever they wore haha.
    I wonder how you were able to tell the decade

It's from The Avengers run in the mid 90s, not sure about the issue but it was a story where your boy had a thing with Madame Masque (who I believe was a clone or something though), old womanizer that he is.

I wonder how you were able to tell the decade

It's from The Avengers run in the mid 90s, not sure about the issue but it was a story where your boy had a thing with Madame Masque (who I believe was a clone or something though), old womanizer that he is.
    Not knowing the context and seeing that pic it almost seems like a jealousy fit.

My mind immediately pictured something like in this old ass advert only with less slapping and more kicking.

(Couldn't find an english Version but the crux of the matter is, it's an unfaithful guy who gets slapped. The ad was so well liked they brought it back again and again for 15 or so years.)
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Not knowing the context and seeing that pic it almost seems like a jealousy fit.

My mind immediately pictured something like in this old ass advert only with less slapping and more kicking.

(Couldn't find an english Version but the crux of the matter is, it's an unfaithful guy who gets slapped. The ad was so well liked they brought it back again and again for 15 or so years.)
    lol seems 90s comics are totally predictable

Nat and Masque were constantly catfighting during that storyline, only verbally though, book never delivered the fisticuffs that it had teased. Nat only took it out on Clint in sparring haha.