Page 35 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

i find it ironically tragic that when tim was written by a homphobe his series ran for years, but an actual bi person, is writing a bi character so badly it doesnt even make it a year
    that said....she's written for movies and tv, so she cant be that terrible. she just absolutely cannot write dc characters.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
    If Tim is supposed to be Bi, maybe the only way to really 'make it obvious' it to have a three-way.

Bring back Steph, but as part of a poly relationship. Bernard may have to be replaced with someone less boring, but still male.
    That's actually pretty insulting on a number of levels and enforces a lot of stereotypes of people that are bi. I really don't think they'd go that way, nor should they.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That's actually pretty insulting on a number of levels and enforces a lot of stereotypes of people that are bi. I really don't think they'd go that way, nor should they.
    Truth. He had a very meaningful relationship with Stephanie, that should be proof enough.

The only bad this about it, is how their relationship was terminated.

I think, honestly, have Tim break up with Bernard. The guy hasn’t had the opportunity to be interesting and it wouldn’t be a loss. If DC wants Tim to get into another relationship, they can pair him up with another hero (man or woman) who actually has a personality and can shine on their own.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Mighty Member

Leaked page of Tim Drake Robin issue 7:

https://twitter.com/MrGabeHernandez/...92477900951552

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post

The art is better.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The art is better.

Yet the writing.....feels very 'how do you do fellow kids' or tumblr esque. And the lack of development for Bernard and the entire relationship is completely unearned. Why does she keep pushing Bernard as if he was someone who knew Tim intimately when he didn't?

Yet the writing.....feels very 'how do you do fellow kids' or tumblr esque. And the lack of development for Bernard and the entire relationship is completely unearned. Why does she keep pushing Bernard as if he was someone who knew Tim intimately when he didn't?
    Simple; fanon. Not canon, of any that is actually recognized by DC/WB, but fan head canon.
    It rears its head in fanfics a LOT.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

That art is a bajillion times better than what has been in the book. It's a shame it has come in so late. That writing though....holy....freaking...hell. I say this often, I really hate disparaging another creative person's quality of work, but that is miles below sub par. It is straight up bad fanfiction. I truly do think she could do better, when she started out it was better. I thought Robin Eternal was pretty darn good. Her first few installments of Tim's story were decent. It's where she got to write a series on Tim that she just tanked it.

The art is better though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    That art is a bajillion times better than what has been in the book. It's a shame it has come in so late. That writing though....holy....freaking...hell. I say this often, I really hate disparaging another creative person's quality of work, but that is miles below sub par. It is straight up bad fanfiction. I truly do think she could do better, when she started out it was better. I thought Robin Eternal was pretty darn good. Her first few installments of Tim's story were decent. It's where she got to write a series on Tim that she just tanked it.

The art is better though.
    Why do you think it feels like bad fanfiction?

Mighty Member

This is so cringe, but the original Bernard dialogue was also cringe and cliché for his era.

But this is the type of art the demographic for this book would love.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    This is so cringe, but the original Bernard dialogue was also cringe and cliché for his era.

But this is the type of art the demographic for this book would love.
    What is the cringiest part of it?

Too bad the "demographic" aren't buying it.......

Mighty Member

What is the cringiest part of it?

Too bad the "demographic" aren't buying it.......
    That is the point, the demographic the book was aimed at the majority would not have bought a book with Rossmo's art style.

A book having just 'representation' is not enough to get a particular group to buy a book, the writing, and art have to also appeal to them. People are not going to buy a book with bi/gay Robin if they don't find that the overall quality isn't good.

That's why Miles Morales succeeded, Bendis was still at the top of his game the art was great so people didn't just buy 'black Spider-Man' they could also enjoy the stories and art.

Even with similar complaints with Taylor's Superman about the relationship between Jon and Jay, the book sold okay, it ended when it was still sold at around 30000 units even and its trades seem to be selling the same if not better than Damian's Robin and that's with okay writing and art. So the "demographic" does buy.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 03-20-2023 at 05:37 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    That is the point, the demographic the book was aimed at the majority would not have bought a book with Rossmo's art style.

A book having just 'representation' is not enough to get a particular group to buy a book, the writing, and art have to also appeal to them. People are not going to buy a book with bi/gay Robin if they don't find that the overall quality isn't good.

That's why Miles Morales succeeded, Bendis was still at the top of his game the art was great so people didn't just buy 'black Spider-Man' they could also enjoy the stories and art.

Even with similar complaints with Taylor's Superman about the relationship between Jon and Jay, the book sold okay, it ended when it was still sold at around 30000 units even and its trades seem to be selling the same if not better than Damian's Robin and that's with okay writing and art. So the "demographic" do buy.
    I just realized making putting "demographics" the way I did looks problematic and I want to clarify I didn't mean it like that.

Incredible Member

“I knew you weren’t.” Man.

It may not actually be the case — benefit of the doubt and all that — but it really reads like a case of author-speaks-directly-through-the-character. “I knew you weren’t straight, Tim, back when I was reading your book and writing slashfic about you and an incredibly minor supporting character. And now you aren’t! Because of ME!”

Mighty Member

I just realized making putting "demographics" the way I did looks problematic and I want to clarify I didn't mean it like that.
    I understand.

I just think in this case the argument that they don't buy comics is misplaced when even people who were open to the change in Tim's sexuality and relationship have said that the art was a huge barrier for them.