Page 36 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Why do you think it feels like bad fanfiction?
    There's no depth to the writing, the dialogue or the characters. Which, to be fair...I haven't tried to read a full issue in many months because I simply can't get past the first page or two. However, this page ...it's just cringeworthy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    That is the point, the demographic the book was aimed at the majority would not have bought a book with Rossmo's art style.
    Yeah. The art is baffling for me.

It's pretty clear that bi Tim Robin (in a romantic relationship with another man) solo wouldn't have a good reception between the main demographic for comics.

This Robin solo needs to attract a new audience, but they chose art that BL fans wouldn't find attractive.
    Last edited by Konja7; 03-20-2023 at 06:53 PM.

Astonishing Member

I understand.

I just think in this case the argument that they don't buy comics is misplaced when even people who were open to the change in Tim's sexuality and relationship have said that the art was a huge barrier for them.
    In general, it was always difficult for the book to reach BL fans, because the main market for superhero american comics are adult men.

Not saying BL fans couldn't be profitable. There are many franchises where BL fans buy a lot of goods (including manga). It's just that the superhero comic market is hard to get into.
    Last edited by Konja7; 03-20-2023 at 06:54 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Yeah. The art is baffling for me.

It's pretty clear that bi Tim Robin (in a romantic relationship with another man) solo wouldn't have a good reception between the main demographic for comics.

This Robin solo needs to attract a new audience, but they chose art that BL fans wouldn't find attractive.
    DC understands that part of Nightwing's appeal is his attractiveness, it is weird they thought that a book whose main buyers would most likely be shippers would not want a book with conventionally attractive characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    In general, it was always difficult for the book to reach BL fans, because the main market for superhero american comics are adult men.

Not saying BL fans couldn't be profitable. There are many franchises where BL fans buy a lot of goods (including manga). It's just that the superhero comic market is hard to get into.
    I agree, the problem is that BL fans have a lot of choices, manga, webtoons, indie graphic novels, and ya books form so if you are going to try an appeal to them you have to put out something that they will feel that is worth spending their money on.

Extraordinary Member

I agree, the problem is that BL fans have a lot of choices, manga, webtoons, indie graphic novels, and ya books form so if you are going to try an appeal to them you have to put out something that they will feel that is worth spending their money on.
    I think they had a better chance on that market with their YA OGNs those are just more accessible than monthly comics.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfe8 View Post
    i find it ironically tragic that when tim was written by a homphobe his series ran for years, but an actual bi person, is writing a bi character so badly it doesnt even make it a year
    that said....she's written for movies and tv, so she cant be that terrible. she just absolutely cannot write dc characters.
    Meghan is bi?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfe8 View Post
    i find it ironically tragic that when tim was written by a homphobe his series ran for years, but an actual bi person, is writing a bi character so badly it doesnt even make it a year
    I'm not sure how much this "homophobe writer" actually used Grace Choi and Thunder in his Run on Outsiders, but I wouldn't be surprised if he made a better job writing them than Fitzmartin made with Tim...

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I'm not sure how much this "homophobe writer" actually used Grace Choi and Thunder in his Run on Outsiders, but I wouldn't be surprised if he made a better job writing them than Fitzmartin made with Tim...
    I think Dixon even made fun of what people expected from him writing them in Outsiders.

Mighty Member

It looks like she will be moving off Tim and doesn't know his plans for the future:

https://twitter.com/megfitz89/status...91498880028672

https://twitter.com/megfitz89/status...91920831168512

and it appears she confirms it was due to sales:

https://twitter.com/megfitz89/status...92282715754497

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Dixon even made fun of what people expected from him writing them in Outsiders.
    Bill Willingham did something similar when he took over Justice Society of America — some fans were worried that he (a noted conservative) was going to try to change Obsidian’s sexuality. (A fairly silly worry, in my opinion — even back then, DC wasn’t going to want the heat of straight-washing one of their very few gay characters.) Instead, Willingham did a story where Obsidian goes through a traumatic experience, emerges from it, and tells the team he’s now straight… only to immediately reveal that, of course, he’s only joking.

It reads incredibly cringy, basically a writer saying, “See?! I’m not as bad as you thought, we can all have a laugh together.” But in fairness to Willingham, he did have a couple gay characters in Fables and I don’t know that he’s ever expressed homophobic sentiments.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    It looks like she will be moving off Tim and doesn't know his plans for the future
    Makes sense, her direction wasn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Makes sense, her direction wasn't working.
    Hopefully she wont be picking up any other books with characters I like either.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Hopefully she wont be picking up any other books with characters I like either.
    Do you like the Justice League and/or RWBY?

Because apparently she's one of the writers or something for that film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Do you like the Justice League and/or RWBY?

Because apparently she's one of the writers or something for that film.
    JL, yes. RWBY...no idea what that is other than I know it's a crossover of something with the Justice League. What film are you talking about? A Justice League movie? I can only hope not. However, as it does seem that she has garnered some amount of respect in Hollywood writing tv series, maybe she works better as part of a group more so than on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    JL, yes. RWBY...no idea what that is other than I know it's a crossover of something with the Justice League. What film are you talking about? A Justice League movie? I can only hope not. However, as it does seem that she has garnered some amount of respect in Hollywood writing tv series, maybe she works better as part of a group more so than on her own.
    Its a crossover animated film.