Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast

serene Zee by Alvaro Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    I'm looking forward for Zatanna with the new sword she acquired on Knight Terrors. I think that's really could augmenting her fighting style

But my main wish is that it's could shift the paradigm on Zee's fighting style. I think She do need to be more offensive & taking initiative and not just playing support with shield and buff like in YJ Phantoms.

From what I observed, it's seems people respect more to person, group or characters that has attacking role. Just look at sports especially team play one. In soccer, forward players who scoring goal and win the match are more recognized than goalkeeper, back player who has defending role. Easy examples are Christiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Neymar, Pele, Maradona, Del Piero. Of course there are some famous defending players like Paolo Maldini and Nesta but generally the forward player got most of the spotlights. Same case I believe in Basketball, I'm sure it's the offensive players who score most points that are really popular.

Same in military history. Famous historical figures like Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Julius Caesar, Hannibal are leaders that aggressively seeking initiatives in battle. In siege of Vienna, it's the counterattack by Polish Cavalry that immortalized even though the outnumbered Austrian defenders staunchly withstand Ottoman assaults.

In modern pop culture, it's a similar case in Lord of the Rings. It's Rohirrim cavalry that saves the day by charging forward that fondly remembered by people as one of the greatest movie scene while Gondorian defenders that stand tall against Orc onslaught got little regard.

So I think with or without the sword, Zatanna should be more offensive, relentlessly taking the initiatives, control the battlefield. Then in the end seizing the victory and become an active player in the story who oftenly chasing the goal.

I think it'd be fun if she did the box with swords trick as an attack like the Dark Magician in yugioh

Oh no! There's something wrong with Magic... literally every JLD story.

I feel that the writers keep building and smashing the world around her and her boring job is to bring it back to normal everytime.

Very little is actually done for her and her alone. There's so many cool thing you can do with magic besides shooting a laser at someone.

Zatanna's life shouldn't resemble a normal human's life. She should be doing some creepy weird magic at all times.

I hate that most of what she does is like make breakfast appear with a click of her fingers. Cmon is that it? That's all the creativity you could come up with?

That's why I say that she needs a writer who takes her seriously. Make magic have permanent repercussions and have her do it anyway.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 10-31-2023 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    I don't like the way her magic is shown in comics. It often lacks creativity. Like if the same magic can be performed by other superheroes then don't do it. She often resorts to shooting lighting and I hate it. We have black lightning for that. Do something else.
    Isn't that something that plagues most magic users in comic books? You have all these witches, warlocks, and sorcerers, who are allegedly uber powerful, and all they seem to do ever is shoot bolts of indistinct energy. I hate it.

Zatanna needs a gal pal other than Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman already has too many pals among the Amazonians alone. Zatanna is never going to surpass Artemis, Hawkgirl, or Black Canary. I suggest Vixen. They were part of Justice League Detroit, and they both have professions that deal with entertaining the audience. Plus, the dynamic between Zatanna and Wonder Woman never felt right to me. If you put the two together in a team book, people start calling it a Wonder Woman book. I think both Zatanna and Vixen are in need of more stories that focus on them and where one's popularity doesn't eclipse the other's. I wish there was a crossover when they both had webtoons.

Zatanna needs a gal pal other than Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman already has too many pals among the Amazonians alone. Zatanna is never going to surpass Artemis, Hawkgirl, or Black Canary. I suggest Vixen. They were part of Justice League Detroit, and they both have professions that deal with entertaining the audience. Plus, the dynamic between Zatanna and Wonder Woman never felt right to me. If you put the two together in a team book, people start calling it a Wonder Woman book. I think both Zatanna and Vixen are in need of more stories that focus on them and where one's popularity doesn't eclipse the other's. I wish there was a crossover when they both had webtoons.
    She and Black Canary are friends.

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I think it'd be fun if she did the box with swords trick as an attack like the Dark Magician in yugioh
    Ouh definitely, but it's kind of gruesome that You may find in Mortal Kombat xd.

But Your idea give me thought about Zee combining sword with her stage Magician props to fight. For example her knotted handkerchiefs and ribbons. It's quite a flexible weapon that You can use to bring Your enemy closer then slash them or swat them away

I don't like the way her magic is shown in comics. It often lacks creativity. Like if the same magic can be performed by other superheroes then don't do it. She often resorts to shooting lighting and I hate it. We have black lightning for that. Do something else.

Also no matter who's the villain, don't end the fight with an overpowered spell like POTS. It's lazy and writers should avoid such situations.
    I think it's one of weakness of the sword, it's kind a generic weapon that used a lot in fictions. So yeah I think combining it with stage Magician props could give Zee more unique dynamic fighting style
    Last edited by Mai Zen; 11-03-2023 at 05:09 AM.

Feels like they have totally forgotten about her stage magician gimmick nowadays.

Extraordinary Member

Feels like they have totally forgotten about her stage magician gimmick nowadays.
    Kinda like being an acrobat in the circus its not the biggest draw in todays time. unless she lives in las vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    Ouh definitely, but it's kind of gruesome that You may find in Mortal Kombat xd.

But Your idea give me thought about Zee combining sword with her stage Magician props to fight. For example her knotted handkerchiefs and ribbons. It's quite a flexible weapon that You can use to bring Your enemy closer then slash them or swat them away

I think it's one of weakness of the sword, it's kind a generic weapon that used a lot in fictions. So yeah I think combining it with stage Magician props could give Zee more unique dynamic fighting style
    I really like the sword cabinet pic you posted there. Are there more like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Kinda like being an acrobat in the circus its not the biggest draw in todays time. unless she lives in las vegas
    It's just not her without the gimmick and the more DC ignores it the less memorable she'll become.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 11-03-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Now I want a bigger image of the sword cabinet so I know how it's done!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Now I want a bigger image of the sword cabinet so I know how it's done!
    It's actually a tongue in cheek joke by Paul Osborne xd.

But for serious answer, he writes it on his book "Paul Osborne Illusion System". There are 4 books of the series, it's explaining the craft around the magic tricks

I like that he said sword is kind of staple in stage Magician craft

Long short story the trick is playing with interior design and the assistant position inside so You know where to thrust the blade inside. Still a quite dangerous trick

I really like the sword cabinet pic you posted there. Are there more like it?

It's just not her without the gimmick and the more DC ignores it the less memorable she'll become.
    There are more in Paul Osborne 4 books of Illusion System. He the one that building the props for David Copperfield infamous "Death Saw" trick. really reccomend it if You love to see the logistics and what behind stage Magician tricks. Mostly around building the props tho, so a perfect book for Zatanna assistant, Mikey Dowding.

Here another good example of the behind the trick props that in theme with Zee

If You want to see the book more, You can check it first here

https://inforuckus.com/free-paul-osb...llusion-plans/
    Last edited by Mai Zen; 11-04-2023 at 08:46 PM.

It would be really cool if we see Zatanna designing and coming up with her own props and tricks. I like Mikey but she just takes away what Zatanna could be doing on her own.

Pics like the one that Mai Zen posted above seem like the perfect things that could be drawn in a Zatanna comic to make it unique.

It would be really cool if we see Zatanna designing and coming up with her own props and tricks. I like Mikey but she just takes away what Zatanna could be doing on her own.

Pics like the one that Mai Zen posted above seem like the perfect things that could be drawn in a Zatanna comic to make it unique.
    I haven't read any "Year One" character book. But now after reading Your comment, I would like to see early-day Zee when she is still alone, crafting her own props, tricks, understanding stage logistics or even devicing her weaponized stage magician props to help her in battle