Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Catwoman/Selina Kyle Appreciation Thread

This year marks the 30th anniversary of Catwoman’s first (and best!) ongoing series. I hope we get a new Jim Balent Catwoman story to celebrate. He sneaked Selina into an issue of Tarot last year and did a variant cover in November so anything’s possible.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Happy New Year to the Feline Femme Fatale and her fans !

In the beginning . . .
    from Batman #1 (Spring 1940)

Ah yes..."Papa Spank."

BANNED

Catwoman and Batman’s encounters have been sexually charged from the very beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    Catwoman and Batman’s encounters have been sexually charged from the very beginning!
    As they should be .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    This year marks the 30th anniversary of Catwoman’s first (and best!) ongoing series. I hope we get a new Jim Balent Catwoman story to celebrate. He sneaked Selina into an issue of Tarot last year and did a variant cover in November so anything’s possible.
    I hadn’t realised they were the same writer but that answers a lot of questions about why I didn’t particular like his run. Even though he was the current writer when I started picking up her solo title. Didn’t read any of stuff for ages after that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    I hadn’t realised they were the same writer but that answers a lot of questions about why I didn’t particular like his run. Even though he was the current writer when I started picking up her solo title. Didn’t read any of stuff for ages after that.
    Actually, Balent wasn’t the writer; he was the artist, while a rotating assortment of writers traded on and off. There was Jo Duffy, Chuck Dixon, Jon Ostrander, Doug Moench, etc. Balent was apparently of the opinion he was making his name with the art job on Catwoman, and so he became its longest running creator, but only for the art.

Generally, Dixon had the best issues on the run, though Ostrander had a pretty good arc, and Doug Moench kept trying to make an epic story for her.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Jim Balent didn’t write the series, he drew 75+ issues for six years. I loved that series and haven’t liked anything they’ve done with Selina since.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Actually, Balent wasn’t the writer; he was the artist, while a rotating assortment of writers traded on and off. There was Jo Duffy, Chuck Dixon, Jon Ostrander, Doug Moench, etc. Balent was apparently of the opinion he was making his name with the art job on Catwoman, and so he became its longest running creator, but only for the art.

Generally, Dixon had the best issues on the run, though Ostrander had a pretty good arc, and Doug Moench kept trying to make an epic story for her.
    I always liked the Dixon run best but ultimately I think Moench had the best run. I liked the supporting characters he created for her: Moreland McShane (awesome name!), Zee, Clutterbuck, Alley Cat, and Cyber Cat.

I also liked Jo Duffy’s run and Devin Grayson. Jo’s run was so short. I wonder what happened.

I feel like I need to read past the opening arcs of that book now .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like I need to read past the opening arcs of that book now .
    Well I liked the opening arc (Jo Duffy’s 14 issue run) because it was good and fun and tied heavily into Knightfall.

I was also a fan of Selina’s protege Arizona who I liked a helluva lot better than that godawful Holly.

I do need to point out that Jim Balent wrote the story for Catwoman #1000000 and Devin Grayson wrote the dialogue.

Extraordinary Member

I have to agree. Brubaker and Cooke and everything they brought with them was an absolute breath of fresh air when you consider where they had to pick up from.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Here's a preliminary 3D version of Selina I started over the holidays, doing an average of all appearances like I do for every character:

SelinaPrelim.jpg

This is about 10% of the final look, but in my experience this won't change very much. Since Selina has so many appearances to incorporate (thousands), I can't do literally all of them, so I'm limiting it to 100 different shapes to average; after 100, things really don't change too much, anyway. This will include as many video game versions as I can find, all of her live action appearances, and her most quintessential artists like Cooke and Balent and Hughes.

I'm also using Rex Calabrese and Maria Kyle for her "parentage" shapes; Selina's heritage in the comics is a stick issue, but Rex and Maria are the only two confirmed biological parents she has there that I'm aware of.
    Last edited by Caivu; 01-04-2023 at 04:43 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)