Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, you can only come up with so many variations of a skintight catsuit...though it makes her armpits very distracting, which, y'know, if they can live with that .
    Heh, I never found them all that distracting (like I said, maybe it's just because I was already used to them at that point since I've inundated myself with so many action/martial arts movies my entire life), but I can't tell you what to be distracted by. LOL
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Edit. Nevermind.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-05-2023 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Heh, I never found them all that distracting (like I said, maybe it's just because I was already used to them at that point since I've inundated myself with so many action/martial arts movies my entire life), but I can't tell you what to be distracted by. LOL
    Well, it's kind of what (at least to me) stands out the most about the design, for better or otherwise.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I'm used to the longer hair from Returns, B:TAS, The Batman cartoon, and the 90's, but I also prefer a little more color in the catsuit too (not like full purple, but The Batman had some red and the DCAU grey and black).

It's not like her hair is even really exposed in costume compared to, say, Batgirl. It's more like how much you can buy the hair being compressed under the mask which I assume isn't completely unrealistic for women with longer hair who wear helmets and the like.

Also don't love exposed armpits.
    I DESPISE the armpit cutouts....It makes no sense. Where are Dicks armpit cutouts? Batmans? Robins? etc..

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Mike Holmes drew this in 2011.

DarynCatwoman.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I DESPISE the armpit cutouts....It makes no sense. Where are Dicks armpit cutouts? Batmans? Robins? etc..
    It's FASHION-y and on trend for incorporating athleisure details into costuming. Breaking the catsuit into 2 pieces with a shrug paired with a sleeveless jumpsuit creating the cutout effect.
    Where's Selina's cape? Where's her escrima sticks? etc... Apples and Sledgehammer comparison. I'll take it over the plunging unzipped cleavage for variety sake if nothing else.

Last edited by Thirteen; 01-06-2023 at 06:56 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    It's FASHION-y and on trend for incorporating athleisure details into costuming. Breaking the catsuit into 2 pieces with a shrug paired with a sleeveless jumpsuit creating the cutout effect.
    Where's Selina's cape? Where's her escrima sticks? etc... Apples and Sledgehammer comparison. I'll take it over the plunging unzipped cleavage for variety sake if nothing else.

Half of the heroes dont have capes. Majority dont have sticks. None of them have armpit cutouts.

Extraordinary Member

I'll take it over the plunging unzipped cleavage for variety sake if nothing else.
    Ab-so-friggin'-lutely. That's some straight up male gazey bullshit right there.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Half of the heroes dont have capes. Majority dont have sticks. None of them have armpit cutouts.
    Unique design for a trailblazing character. Plenty wear jackets as part of their costumes, this is a form of that. More visible when the shrug is undone. So not really a "cutout" in the same sense that Huntress had a stomach cutout or Power Girl has a cleavage window most of the time.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Unique design for a trailblazing character. Plenty wear jackets as part of their costumes, this is a form of that. More visible when the shrug is undone. So not really a "cutout" in the same sense that Huntress had a stomach cutout or Power Girl has a cleavage window most of the time.
    Like that, I dont hate it. When its drawn as one piece, not here for it.

This reminds me of Catwoman's poledancing skills .

Extraordinary Member

I don’t mind them when they’re drawn well, and I’d argue that even if they’re not drawn well, it’s still a negligible problem compared to some of the issues the Cooke design had.

When the Cooke design was done well, it felt like both a real costume and a fairly classy throwback in design. When done badly, especially with the zipper pulled down, it came off as neither a costume nor classy, and instead seemed trashy.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I don’t mind them when they’re drawn well, and I’d argue that even if they’re not drawn well, it’s still a negligible problem compared to some of the issues the Cooke design had.

When the Cooke design was done well, it felt like both a real costume and a fairly classy throwback in design. When done badly, especially with the zipper pulled down, it came off as neither a costume nor classy, and instead seemed trashy.
    I understand why the Cooke design was so popular and it was a great redesign and Catwoman costume...but sometimes it felt a little too drab for my tastes.

With the current costume it seems like artists can't seem to agree where the zipper is .

Although speaking of, Arkham Catwoman:

Extraordinary Member

I understand why the Cooke design was so popular and it was a great redesign and Catwoman costume...but sometimes it felt a little too drab for my tastes.

With the current costume it seems like artists can't seem to agree where the zipper is .

Although speaking of, Arkham Catwoman:

If you took away the hat/mask, the Cooke costume was just a dime-a-dozen biker suit, and if the artist screwed up and forgot the belt, as I think a few did, you just got an all black onesie that was even simpler than the 90’s costume.

The current costume at least looks “different” thanks to the “athleisure” stuff with the armpit cutout and now-you-see-me-now-you-don’t “corset” that show up.

Someday, I want to see someone do another purple suit, whether in a flashback story or not, and just make it the “fancy” suit. Find some way to incorporate elements from both the Bronze Age dress and the 90’s version, maybe throw in some jewelry like in The Long Halloween, and have her hair be long in it again.

I think that costume works especially if it was used for either “thief in her prime” Catwoman who’s showing off, or some lost adventure of the “Queenpin.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    If you took away the hat/mask, the Cooke costume was just a dime-a-dozen biker suit, and if the artist screwed up and forgot the belt, as I think a few did, you just got an all black onesie that was even simpler than the 90’s costume.

The current costume at least looks “different” thanks to the “athleisure” stuff with the armpit cutout and now-you-see-me-now-you-don’t “corset” that show up.

Someday, I want to see someone do another purple suit, whether in a flashback story or not, and just make it the “fancy” suit. Find some way to incorporate elements from both the Bronze Age dress and the 90’s version, maybe throw in some jewelry like in The Long Halloween, and have her hair be long in it again.

I think that costume works especially if it was used for either “thief in her prime” Catwoman who’s showing off, or some lost adventure of the “Queenpin.”
    I'm fond of the B:TAS or The Batman suit: