Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yara's NEVER liked that name. When Diana gave her it in Trial of the Amazons, she complained saying she was 21 and therefore a woman, not a girl.
    Yes. Don't give her the name then.

She doesn't want to be a Spice Girl, that's fine. The joke hets old when its everytime its brought up

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Than call her Mulher Maravilha, it's the portuguese name for Wonder Woman.
    As someone that speaks portuguese, that makes no sense to me. When people in Portugal talk about Diana they call them Mulher Maravilha, not Womder Woman. If in an english comic you start using the translated name as a "codename", that's lame, weird, and counterproductive
    Last edited by Alpha; 03-30-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    As someone that speaks portuguese, that makes no sense to me. When people in Portugal talk about Diana they call them Mulher Maravilha, not Womder Woman. If in an english comic you start using the translated name as a "codename", that's lame, weird, and counterproductive
    I speak portuguese as well and i don't see a problem with it.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah I don’t think it’s DC doesn’t want to call her Wondergirl, more the joke is she is Wondergirl but does not appreciate being called that because she’s in her 20’s.
    Outside of the Legion of Superheroes, who are paying homage to a certain golden/silver age aesthetic of comic book lore with their codenames, it always bothered me that boys would get codenames with the word "man" in it (Spider-Man, Superman, etc), but grown women would be given a codename with the word "girl" in it (again, the LSH is a known [partial] exception to this rule). I always found that to be a vestige of sexism. Though some readers have argued that "woman" doesn't have the same rhythmic appeal as "girl"--Superwoman vs. Supergirl, Power Woman vs. Power Girl, or Hawkwoman vs. Hawkgirl, for example. Like, I don't think they'd ever give a grown Bruce Wayne the codename Batboy because I'm sure they'd feel as though he was being demeaned/emasculated by such an address. Other readers feel like the use of "girl" in these instances is a reclaiming of an oppressive/derisive/dismissive use of the word and believe using it in this context gives the word back its power. Personally, I still feel as though it is a patriarchal way of asserting male power and maturity and infantilizing women.

I don't know. It irks me.
    Last edited by HotBoy; 03-30-2023 at 01:52 PM.

If a Wonderfam name had to be used, Fury is vacant.

If not, since that's a lazy pick anyway, they need to get creative. Yara Flor actually works by itself, same like Donna Troy or even Nubia.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    Outside of the Legion of Superheroes, who are paying homage to a certain golden/silver age aesthetic of comic book lore with their codenames, it always bothered me that boys would get codenames with the word "man" in it (Spider-Man, Superman, etc), but grown women would be given a codename with the word "girl" in it (again, the LSH is a known [partial] exception to this rule). I always found that to be a vestige of sexism. Though some readers have argued that "woman" doesn't have the same rhythmic appeal as "girl"--Superwoman vs. Supergirl, Power Woman vs. Power Girl, or Hawkwoman vs. Hawkgirl, for example. Like, I don't think they'd ever give a grown Bruce Wayne the codename Batboy because I'm sure they'd feel as though he was being demeaned/emasculated by such an address. Other readers feel like the use of "girl" in these instances is a reclaiming of an oppressive/derisive/dismissive use of the word and believe using it in this context gives the word back its power. Personally, I still feel as though it is a patriarchal way of asserting male power and maturity and infantilizing women.

Usually against it too. Makes sense for some characters, certainly not for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I speak portuguese as well and i don't see a problem with it.
    It's terrible marketing, it's lazy, it creates so many confusing situations since comics are in fact translated to portuguese.

Her codename can be portuguese sure, that could be fun, but can we at least have the good sense to make it a unique name?
    Last edited by Alpha; 03-30-2023 at 02:01 PM.

Sometimes using girl just flows better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sometimes using girl just flows better.
    True, I think that's most of it, for example "Invisible Woman" is a mouthful but "Invisible Girl" is snappier.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    True, I think that's most of it, for example "Invisible Woman" is a mouthful but "Invisible Girl" is snappier.
    "Power Girl" flows better than "Power Woman" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Power Girl" flows better than "Power Woman" to me.
    Have to say I agree.

Extraordinary Member

Can Yara not fly? I love her horse but is she like Artemis?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Can Yara not fly? I love her horse but is she like Artemis?
    No. Yara does not have the ability to fly. But we did see in her Future State issue with Superman that she is able to jump very high and very far.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    If a Wonderfam name had to be used, Fury is vacant.

If not, since that's a lazy pick anyway, they need to get creative. Yara Flor actually works by itself, same like Donna Troy or even Nubia.
    They should give Cassie the Fury name. If they're going to push Yara as WG, she needs a new identity - and she'd look similar to the classic one, Lyta Trevor.

About the girl vs woman argument, I'm surprised Supergirl hasn't come up. In the TV show she didn't even debut as a superhero until she was 24. She wanted to be Superwoman but Cat Grant dubbed her Supergirl, which stuck. She was still using the name until she outed her secret identity in the last episode, at age 30.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I just call her Diana to save time. Mulher Maravilha I reserved for when the first movie came out...
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

I think it's just because "girl" and "man" are both one syllable, and a lot of other major DC superheroines are derivatives of a -man (e.g. Batgirl, Supergirl, Hawkgirl). It's also an English-specific issue - for example, in Spanish you don't have that issue with hombre vs. mujer.

It's why DC's 2 biggest standalone superheroines (Wonder Woman and Catwoman) have "woman" rather than "girl."