View Poll Results: Do you think Peter Parker could ever truly be supplanted as Spider-Man?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Peter could one day be supplanted

10 23.26%
  • No, Peter could never be supplanted

33 76.74%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Do you think Peter Parker could ever truly be supplanted as Spider-Man?

This idea is a spin-off to the MJ thread I made.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-love-interest

There are other characters in the Marvel Multiverse who use the name "Spider-Man." When discussing characters like Miles Morales or Miguel O'Hara, a qualifier is usually added so people know who is directly being referenced. Peter tends not to have such a qualifier and is more or less the default "Spider-Man" when the name is mentioned. Could that change? Could someone else supplant Peter as the default Spider-Man?

If anyone could it would be Miles. Eventually Tom Holland will retire from the role permanently and if Miles replaces him in the MCU and has a long success stint I think that a large part of the casual audience would come around to seeing Miles and their Spider-Man.

Fantastic Member

I think Peter would have to just fully die and be out of the picture for like 15-20 years I could see it. Probably people would still say Miles Spide-Man, but they would clarify Peter as Peter Spider-Man rather than just as Spider-Man

No. As much as I like other Spider-People, no one is ever going to supplant Peter.

Astonishing Member

I think some of them could bridge the gap between them and Peter, but I doubt any of them will fully supplant him. Peter arguably has two biases that work in his favor:

1. The costume. It's red and blue (both primary colors) and simplistic. Honestly, a lot of Spidey's popularity boils down to just this. The others either don't use primary colors (Gwen), or have designs that aren't as simplistic (Miguel & Mayday).

1. His flashy personality. In general, Peter has the quirkiest personality and the best quips. This makes him the "flashiest" of the Spiders, on top of the fact he already has the flashiest costume. I feel like people in general have a bias towards flashy characters. It's why Wolverine stands out more than Cyclops, or why Joker sometimes stands out more than Batman.

Just looking at these two advantages, the only other one that has them is Miles. Miles' suit is simple like Peter's, plus all-black can sometimes be just as flashy as primary colors (it's for the same reasons why Peter's black suit was so popular). Recent depictions made him an artist (ITSV), or make him do cool dance moves (Insomniac). So who knows, maybe someone like Miles can eventually match Peter or dethrone him because he kinda has the same advantages. But even then, I think those advantages as a bit stronger with Peter.

Not without needing to inherit or basically become more like Peter.

Because when you think of Peter you think of the suit, the personality, the supporting cast, the history, the Rogues Gallery...and nobody else has that. At least not to the extent Peter does.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Cosigning you lot so far. I'll throw in my own two cents, though; as much as I like and appreciate the other Spider-Men, it's mostly in relation to how they compare and contrast with Peter Parker and how much they live up to the great responsibility that inevitably comes with great power. Miguel, Ben, and Miles I particularly liked because they all did their best to honor and uphold what Peter stood for as Spider-Man, even if in Miguel's case, he never really knew the man behind the mask until that first time-travel adventure. Otto Octavius, on the other hand, was so caught up in wanting to prove himself "better than" or superior to Peter as a hero that he forgot the part where he was supposed to be an actual hero, and that cost him severely, in my estimation. While just about any of them could ultimately step up to the plate, proverbially speaking, should anything happen to Peter that couldn't be fixed, I would also say that none of them would really be a thing without Peter laying the groundwork and establishing so much of the foundation for his future/would-be successors. In shorter words, it would take a lot of time and effort and investment to make any of them truly replace Peter as (the primary) Spider-Man, and despite all the complaints about how Marvel editorial has handled Peter over the last fifteen years or so, I don't think they're ready to throw in the towel on him yet, if ever.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Nope.

He's a great character and the protagonist of a lot of good and acclaimed projects in different media, including the top-grossing films of three separate years (to be entirely fair, Spider-Man 3 doesn't count as good and acclaimed.)

I don't see Miles replacing him, because that's not the general trajectory of shifts in diversity. There will be other non-white protagonists so that element of Miles will be a bit less special and urgent.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This idea is a spin-off to the MJ thread I made.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-love-interest

There are other characters in the Marvel Multiverse who use the name "Spider-Man." When discussing characters like Miles Morales or Miguel O'Hara, a qualifier is usually added so people know who is directly being referenced. Peter tends not to have such a qualifier and is more or less the default "Spider-Man" when the name is mentioned. Could that change? Could someone else supplant Peter as the default Spider-Man?
    I think it is possible due to demographic changes ( ie: The Minority becomes the Majority). The logical person is Miles. But in order for it to happen in any kind of positive way, there must be good stories and good villains for Miles to have to deal with. There also must be a positive outcome for Peter and that does NOT mean knocking him off like in Life Story so Miles can take over. Which means letting him retire with MJ and rewarding the fans who put billions into the pocket of Marvel. The single biggest reason it will likely NOT happen is Marvel. Spider-Man is a cash cow for them and history shows they have been unwilling to risk the possible loss of income
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 01-02-2023 at 04:33 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I think it is possible due to demographic changes ( ir: The Minority becomes the Majority). The logical person is Miles. But in order for it to happen in any kind of positive way, there must be good stories and good villains for Miles to have to deal with. There also must be a positive outcome for Peter and that does NOT mean knocking him off like in Life Story so Miles can take over. The single biggest reason it will likely NOT happen is Marvel. Spider-Man is a cash cow for them and history shows they have been unwilling to risk the possible loss of income
    Or the original Ultimate Spider-Man series, though that ultimately --- pun intended --- hedged its bets by revealing that the OZ formula granted resurrective immortality to anyone who had been infused with it, so Ultimate Peter came back and after trouncing the similarly returned Ultimate Green Goblin, gave Miles his blessing while he and Ultimate Mary Jane went on the road together trying to figure out the exact nature of how he came back. That said, you are right on the last part --- Spider-Man, at least in his original Peter Parker iteration, is too much of a cash cow for Marvel, and there are too many fans --- some for much more sinister reasons, mind you --- who'd turn on Marvel quite viciously, even virulently and cost them a lot of income if Peter were permanently taken off the table.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Nah, all the other Spiders have Peter as the inspiration as part of their origin, so he will always cast a shadow over them. He also has the best rogues gallery, many of whom have a personal grudge against the Peter Parker Spidey. Remember when Norman Osborn beat Ben Reilly half to death and then told Peter that a victory over him (Ben) means nothing? Even if the new guy absorbs Peter's supporting cast of villains they won't have any more animosity towards him then they would Captain America or Stingray or whomever.

Plus Pete has a couple of very iconic love interests, particularly Mary Jane. Even had a series called "Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane." Are they going to just hook her up with someone else under the mask when they want to dust off that book title for trademark purposes or whatever?
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Nah, all the other Spiders have Peter as the inspiration as part of their origin, so he will always cast a shadow over them. He also has the best rogues gallery, many of whom have a personal grudge against the Peter Parker Spidey. Remember when Norman Osborn beat Ben Reilly half to death and then told Peter that a victory over him (Ben) means nothing? Even if the new guy absorbs Peter's supporting cast of villains they won't have any more animosity towards him then they would Captain America or Stingray or whomever.

Plus Pete has a couple of very iconic love interests, particularly Mary Jane. Even had a series called "Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane." Are they going to just hook her up with someone else under the mask when they want to dust off that book title for trademark purposes or whatever?
    There was that one alternate Miguel O'Hara who joined the Exiles who hooked up with yet another AU Mary Jane at the end.

(PAD later killed the alternate Miguel in Spider-Verse.)

Mighty Member

No.......Peter Parker is too iconic to be replaced as Spider-Man. I want him to be THE Spider-Man always.
    I could care less about Miles Morales.

This is a multicontinental American that is highly multiethnic telling that.

I like diversity. I wouldn't exist if there was no diversity.
    Peter Parker Spider-Man has been my favorite superhero since I was a little kid in the 1970s. I am 51 years old.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

No, I do not believe he ever will be supplanted. At best the others will have to share the spotlight as they always have. Although, you never know what the future holds...
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Just to address the idea that demograpic changes means Miles will supplant Peter:

1. That assumes that audiences identify with characters solely based on race.

2. Peter doesn't have to be white. I know Marvel insists he does, but let's face it... they will race-swap Peter before letting him get dethroned or fall out of relevance.