Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default The Aqua(man) family Appreciation 2023

Thought a thread that can celebrate the Aqua-family as a whole and as individuals for those that may not get as many hits individually would be fun.

Happy New Year Aquafam .

May Garth be remembered .

Black Manta is NOT part of the AquaFamily and never should be. I think one of the major problems with the Aquamen mini was having him as an ally. I do like that we finally have Garth and Tula as a couple again even if they've had almost no panel time together. Hoping we get a new ongoing Aquaman title featuring the entire AquaFamily. Hell bring back Lorena while you're at it DC. With an A-list creative too this time.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Black Manta is NOT part of the AquaFamily and never should be. I think one of the major problems with the Aquamen mini was having him as an ally. I do like that we finally have Garth and Tula as a couple again even if they've had almost no panel time together. Hoping we get a new ongoing Aquaman title featuring the entire AquaFamily. Hell bring back Lorena while you're at it DC. With an A-list creative too this time.
    Re-establishing classic romances after several decades...completely off-panel .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Black Manta is some sort of Atlantean descendant so he kinda counts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlant..._the_Deserters

A hidden kingdom in the Sahara Desert, it is the last kingdom to be accepted prior to the sinking of Atlantis from Atlan shortly after the end of his reign. The kingdom was known for its metallurgy and the use of rare, mystical metals such as Nth metal and orichalcum, metals with enhanced durability and mystical properties.[15] The Kingdom's inhabits originated from Africa and during Atlan's reign, the Deserters would return to their homeland along with most of their technology weeks before Atlan would sink the continent. Due to this, the Deserters population did not become the biological adapted to the sea like others, remaining human/homo magi. Eventually, the Deserters themselves dissolved though their descendants still passed their technology.[16] Descendants of the Deserters tribe would include mystic sorcerer Doctor Mist, Aquaman's archenemy Black Manta, alongside the paternal line of his family, Jackson Hyde, and Aquaman villain Devil Ray.[16]
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-03-2023 at 06:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

It is weird how they tried to make Manta an official member of the family over Orm who is actually Arthur's brother and they at least have a relationship beyond unending hate

Especially since its not like Orm is unpopular, Hell he along with Manta are one of the most well-received and popular villains of the DCEU. Like Manta's recent stint is just another instance of DC trying to make popular villains anti-heroes like Deathstroke, Harley Quinn, Deadshot, so Orm's general negative treatment here is so bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    It is weird how they tried to make Manta an official member of the family over Orm who is actually Arthur's brother and they at least have a relationship beyond unending hate

Especially since its not like Orm is unpopular, Hell he along with Manta are one of the most well-received and popular villains of the DCEU. Like Manta's recent stint is just another instance of DC trying to make popular villains anti-heroes like Deathstroke, Harley Quinn, Deadshot, so Orm's general negative treatment here is so bizarre.
    I didn't like how KSD wrote Orm so outright villainous and how Arthur didn't seem to care about him at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

I almost forget how skimpy Tula's old Aquagirl costume was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Black Manta is some sort of Atlantean descendant so he kinda counts:
    I think superhero "families" should't include villains regardless of their origin. Like, you wouldn't mention Zod as being in Superman' "family".

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think superhero "families" should't include villains regardless of their origin. Like, you wouldn't mention Zod as being in Superman' "family".
    Tell that to Harley and Catwoman showing up in Batfamily group shots .

Setting aside Amber Heard controversy, I want more Mera!

I definitely think its time that she become some sort of staple in the JL and ongoing/mini series. Her evolution from beautiful wife to kick ass warrior has been a great one to see overtime.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I definitely think its time that she become some sort of staple in the JL and ongoing/mini series. Her evolution from beautiful wife to kick ass warrior has been a great one to see overtime.

Oh yeah I remember she was a lot more of a passive non-action wife in the DCAU

Its actually rather shocking looking back after being so adjusted to action girl Mera who can fight on the same level as her husband

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Oh yeah I remember she was a lot more of a passive non-action wife in the DCAU

Its actually rather shocking looking back after being so adjusted to action girl Mera who can fight on the same level as her husband
    Agreed, it is one of the things that instantly ages JL and other shows that she appeared in where she was just the wife/damsel. But I think with how most saw Aquaman, making his wife cooler was an issue. Gladly we're practically out of that time.