Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Yup. Victor Alverez. Former Avenger (on Ewing's Mighty and New teams) and like I already said, Champion.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yup. Victor Alverez. Former Avenger (on Ewing's Mighty and New teams) and like I already said, Champion.
    Sorry, my bad. Power Man is a title in search of a Marvel hero worthy of it. Luke Cage always felt too street level to truly utilize it. Victor Alvarez feels too...regular. If he was named anything other than Power Man I don't think we would be so hard on him.

Marvel is strange sometimes. I always felt that MoonKnight was a great costume in search of an interesting person to wear it, thus all the different personalities.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Funny, a guy with a bright yellow costume, and I don’t remember seeing him in most of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Sorry, my bad. Power Man is a title in search of a Marvel hero worthy of it. Luke Cage always felt too street level to truly utilize it. Victor Alvarez feels too...regular. If he was named anything other than Power Man I don't think we would be so hard on him.

Marvel is strange sometimes. I always felt that MoonKnight was a great costume in search of an interesting person to wear it, thus all the different personalities.
    With moon knight, I think they need to keep looking.

Ultimate Member

The 'Power Man' thing doesn't bug me, since I haven't really thought of Luke as anything other than 'Luke Cage' for decades, but I still feel meh about him because his powers are just incomprehensible gobbledigook. He channels chi, which somehow taps into the history of the city and this makes him super-strong, particularly in areas rich in history? WTF?

I first encountered him in a splash page in Avengers Academy, and thought it was Prodigy (who had a similar costume and look at the time, although he could fly there, and hasn't displayed that power since, that I recall...), and then in Mighty Avengers alongside fun characters like Monica Rambeau, Adam Brashear and America Chavez, where he kind of sucked the energy out of the room, surrounded by such dynamic personalities. He may have had a story at some point that introduced him and broke down what his powers are supposed to be / do, and his basic personality, but I missed it, and in a generation without a Marvel Handbook to fill in the blanks, he's just 'that guy' to me, randomly taking up a spot on teams, but not really seeming to matter since his personality is a cypher and his powers an ass-pull that works or doesn't work by writer fiat.

His first book was called Power Man and Iron Fist, where he worked with Danny Rand. He's been bouncing from team to team since then (two Avengers teams, the Champions, and now the Thunderbolts).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    With moon knight, I think they need to keep looking.
    How long has it been, 50 years? Time to give up the search.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh
    The 'Power Man' thing doesn't bug me, since I haven't really thought of Luke as anything other than 'Luke Cage' for decades, but I still feel meh about him because his powers are just incomprehensible gobbledigook. He channels chi, which somehow taps into the history of the city and this makes him super-strong, particularly in areas rich in history? WTF?
    His powers are sort of similar to John Cooper Hawksmoor from The Authority. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/John_Coop...torm_Universe)

The thing is Hawksmoor's powers were more clearly defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh
    I first encountered him in a splash page in Avengers Academy, and thought it was Prodigy (who had a similar costume and look at the time, although he could fly there, and hasn't displayed that power since, that I recall...), and then in Mighty Avengers alongside fun characters like Monica Rambeau, Adam Brashear and America Chavez, where he kind of sucked the energy out of the room, surrounded by such dynamic personalities. He may have had a story at some point that introduced him and broke down what his powers are supposed to be / do, and his basic personality, but I missed it, and in a generation without a Marvel Handbook to fill in the blanks, he's just 'that guy' to me, randomly taking up a spot on teams, but not really seeming to matter since his personality is a cypher and his powers an ass-pull that works or doesn't work by writer fiat.
    Yeah. he needed a spotlight issue.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

He actually got a Handbook entry in the Avengers: Roll Call handbook back in 2012.

Ultimate Member

How long has it been, 50 years? Time to give up the search.

His powers are sort of similar to John Cooper Hawksmoor from The Authority. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/John_Coop...torm_Universe)

The thing is Hawksmoor's powers were more clearly defined.
    I wouldn't say better defined, as they're far greater but yeah. I'm baffled why Victor's powers depend on local history instead of the presence of people as was first established

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I vote calling him Chi-Boy, to avoid further confusion.

Peace

Ultimate Member

Honestly, the current Thunderbolt team just baffles me.

The writing was fine, but the characters really aren't great foils for one another and they're pretty far afield for the Thunderbolts name.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Honestly, the current Thunderbolt team just baffles me.

The writing was fine, but the characters really aren't great foils for one another and they're pretty far afield for the Thunderbolts name.
    I tend to agree. Beyond Hawkeye and Monica there was little reason for any of them to be there. I think if Zub had more of a chance he'd flesh the team out more and give reasons for them being together. But I suspect this team will just fade away in time for the next relaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I tend to agree. Beyond Hawkeye and Monica there was little reason for any of them to be there. I think if Zub had more of a chance he'd flesh the team out more and give reasons for them being together. But I suspect this team will just fade away in time for the next relaunch.
    The new West Coast Avengers...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't mind that. I'd even accept it if they changed the name. Force Works is available.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'll always prefer the classic versions...