Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I'm in the minority. Always think Maddie was better written than the Jean Grey of the period and since. Don't know why. But I always thought Claremont understood her the best and when he created her storyline, she was supposed to BE Jean reborn. My interpretation probably wouldn't' go well with today's fans.

--jthree

Astonishing Member

J3 I have always preferred Maddy over Jean as well. Well ever since the X-Men found her alive after the Marauders took Nathan. Claremont really wrote a compelling personality for Maddy in the Outback era. Then again I prefer Dark Phoenix over Jean as well. Now let me say Maddy's portrayal in Dark X-men isn't my cup of tea. She has agency but little humanity. I want her fleshed out a bit more, humanized more.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    J3 I have always preferred Maddy over Jean as well. Well ever since the X-Men found her alive after the Marauders took Nathan. Claremont really wrote a compelling personality for Maddy in the Outback era. Then again I prefer Dark Phoenix over Jean as well. Now let me say Maddy's portrayal in Dark X-men isn't my cup of tea. She has agency but little humanity. I want her fleshed out a bit more, humanized more.
    I know, right?! Outback Maddy is still an All-Time Favorite (XD)

Amazing Member

Confusing to have a second version, with the same code name. Hope they get rid of her, as I like the Limbo Queen version of Madelyne

Fantastic Member

Well Jess. Can't see I see anything of the old Maddie in the Limbo Queen. Her outfit is so . . . . . too much. You can't see any humanity in her. She used to have that, until the forces that be totally made her a villain.

--jthree

Astonishing Member

Jthree I am hoping that this is just the fact that there isn't time for quiet moments like Maddy designing the star like the Lone Ranger's silver bullet for the Outback X-Men's calling card, or handling the monitor board or being seduced in a dream or standing on the edge of a cliff thinking about her lot in life. There isn't much time for character development in a 4 issue mini, which while I appreciate the exposure the format doesn't lend itself to character enhancement. I love the cast but Dark X-Men (so far) has done nothing to flesh out Maddy, Alex, Warren or even Remy. I would love a writer that gets the character, like Claremont seemed to, have enough runway to bring that Maddy and Alex who has suffered in the same way back. Recently Zeb Wells did a great job of that in Hellions with Greycrow and Kwannon. I have no doubt he could have worked that magic on Maddy and Alex. Yes he had 18 issues and that helped, he also paved the way for Maddy's return in the book via Alex, I really wanted to see where that book would have gone but it just got 18 issues because Zeb was off to Spider-land. Maddy's need for agency, "tell them I was a real person" to Alex who knew that she was and even though his head wasn't quite right what showed was his determination in his advocacy for Maddy from the first issue to the last. Maddy needs a Claremont or Wells level character developer on an ongoing title. Dark X-Men only has one issue left and alt Maddy feels very flat cartoonly villainy, is Warren alive, what the heck is going on with Alex and Maddy is a boss but she lacks depth, unless there is a Wells-like Helliony Dark X-Men ongoing that just hasn't been announced yet.

Astonishing Member

Any word on where Maddy will be featured next? Is she attached to any future 2024 project?

I Think she will continue being featured but in "Dark" corner of the Marvel universe of X side of the marvel universe

Astonishing Member

I want the next Maddy book be Maddy going off the retrieve her Anodyne Asgardian powers in order to heal Alex and Warren. I like the idea of Maddy having a healing side to balance out her bloodthirsty tendencies. I also want Alex back at 100%, sounds like a win/ win.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I want the next Maddy book be Maddy going off the retrieve her Anodyne Asgardian powers in order to heal Alex and Warren. I like the idea of Maddy having a healing side to balance out her bloodthirsty tendencies. I also want Alex back at 100%, sounds like a win/ win.
    I say have Deathwatch Beatles eat Alex and Warren and simply resurrect them via the Resurrection Protocols, return Maddie to her natural "clone of Jean Grey" power levels (which is quite powerful enough), and skip the multi-faceted melodrama.
    Last edited by Micabe; 12-17-2023 at 05:52 PM.

Through Hellions, Dark Web, and Dark X-Men, I have a newfound appreciation for Madelyne and am excited to see where they take her next. She hasn't been this fun to read since Inferno.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Through Hellions, Dark Web, and Dark X-Men, I have a newfound appreciation for Madelyne and am excited to see where they take her next. She hasn't been this fun to read since Inferno.
    I have yet to witness Maddy do anything noteworthy since her return... Have you?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    I have yet to witness Maddy do anything noteworthy since her return... Have you?
    Not really but having her back on the table, alive, means that we may get Outback Maddy back eventually. I did love Maddy begging Alex after she was "mortally wounded" by Greycrow, "tell them I was a real person". Before and after that Alex was determined to prove Maddy's agency. So for me Wells hinted at some potential good stories and was the best things she has done since she's been back.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Agreed. I love her running the Limbo embassy and how it's become a fixture of NYC as she met with Mayor Luke Cage. She was also featured in Steve Foxe's story in Deadpool Seven Slaughters which was fun. Running one of the few refuges mutants have is important and I hope we continue to see more of the setting. She seemed to really take a liking to Feint and was protective of her which was sweet. I hope we see them share some panel time again.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!