Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The MCU and diversity

There was a recent MCU character elimination contest on the Marvel Studies subreddit. It was decently popular and there were thousands of votes. It shouldn't be taken as gospel obviously but it's not the opinion of a handful of people either.

So here is the the top 10

Here are places 11-20. Since 5 characters were eliminated at a time there are no direct rankings from 11-15 and 16-20.

11-15
    - Moon Knight
    - Hawkeye
    - Rocket Raccoon
    - Thanos
    - Black Widow

16-20
    - Groot
    - Shang-Chi
    - Gamora
    - Yelena Belova
    - Namor

And lastly here is the screen time of characters in the MCU as of Thor: L&T. There is definitely a bit of correlation here between how much screen time a character got and how high people ranked them.

So what's the point of all this you might ask? Well the title already gives it away. A few comments that I saw in that contest actually mentioned that in terms of diversity this isn't the strongest showing. The top 10 has one female and one person of color. The top 20 is at least looking a bit better to be fair.

Now we know Ike Perlmutter was the enemy of diversity and wouldn't green light anything that he would see as such. The thing is he is was ousted in 2015 which means we have now spent as much time without him in charge as we did with him.

I want to put focus on a character specifically here who has really gotten the short straw. War Machine is an OG who has been in the in the MCU since the beginning which means he has now been in the MCU for over 14 years and yet he doesn't even have an hour of screen time and we know nothing about his character. Don Cheadle even was throwing a bit of shade when it comes to that in a recent interview.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...box=1669983842

"Now he is being rewarded with his own War Machine spin-off movie, Armour Wars. Does he really think there’s more to explore in Rhodey? “There’s nothing that actually has been explored,” he protests. “Who are his friends? What are his relationships? What does he want? I’m not complaining. But I don’t think we know anything yet.” So we’ll find out which side of the bed he sleeps on, and who with? “All that stuff. His favourite ice-cream flavour. What his peccadilloes are.” The camera might be off but you can sense the twinkle in his eye."

So are you overall content with Marvels attempts or do you think there are things that they could have done better? What more would you like to see in the future?
    "This is me being reasonable"

Really? I find it amusing. The MCU has black characters in all corners, from small cameos to big roles, lead characters (Falcon & Winter Soldier), and even the full casts of Luke Cage (2 seasons) and Black Panther (2 films). And, yet, nothing seems to be enough, not unless all lead and popular characters are black. Well, someone has to say it: 57.8% of the US are white and 12.1% are black. The "representation" quota is more than enough already.

By the way, latinos in the US are 18.7%, more than the blacks, and the number of latin american characters is abysmal. But I don't go around asking for more latino representation in the MCU: when I want to see latinos in fiction instead of Americans, I simply see films and series from Latin America

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Really? I find it amusing. The MCU has black characters in all corners, from small cameos to big roles, lead characters (Falcon & Winter Soldier), and even the full casts of Luke Cage (2 seasons) and Black Panther (2 films). And, yet, nothing seems to be enough, not unless all lead and popular characters are black. Well, someone has to say it: 57.8% of the US are white and 12.1% are black. The "representation" quota is more than enough already.

By the way, latinos in the US are 18.7%, more than the blacks, and the number of latin american characters is abysmal. But I don't go around asking for more latino representation in the MCU: when I want to see latinos in fiction instead of Americans, I simply see films and series from Latin America
    It doesn't matter in literal population numbers. People not being white shouldn't bother someone so much that they start taking out numbers of how many in real life aren't. They are just choosing who is better for the role.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    There was a recent MCU character elimination contest on the Marvel Studies subreddit. It was decently popular and there were thousands of votes. It shouldn't be taken as gospel obviously but it's not the opinion of a handful of people either.

So here is the the top 10

Here are places 11-20. Since 5 characters were eliminated at a time there are no direct rankings from 11-15 and 16-20.

11-15
    - Moon Knight
    - Hawkeye
    - Rocket Raccoon
    - Thanos
    - Black Widow

16-20
    - Groot
    - Shang-Chi
    - Gamora
    - Yelena Belova
    - Namor

And lastly here is the screen time of characters in the MCU as of Thor: L&T. There is definitely a bit of correlation here between how much screen time a character got and how high people ranked them.

So what's the point of all this you might ask? Well the title already gives it away. A few comments that I saw in that contest actually mentioned that in terms of diversity this isn't the strongest showing. The top 10 has one female and one person of color. The top 20 is at least looking a bit better to be fair.

Now we know Ike Perlmutter was the enemy of diversity and wouldn't green light anything that he would see as such. The thing is he is was ousted in 2015 which means we have now spent as much time without him in charge as we did with him.

I want to put focus on a character specifically here who has really gotten the short straw. War Machine is an OG who has been in the in the MCU since the beginning which means he has now been in the MCU for over 14 years and yet he doesn't even have an hour of screen time and we know nothing about his character. Don Cheadle even was throwing a bit of shade when it comes to that in a recent interview.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...box=1669983842

"Now he is being rewarded with his own War Machine spin-off movie, Armour Wars. Does he really think there’s more to explore in Rhodey? “There’s nothing that actually has been explored,” he protests. “Who are his friends? What are his relationships? What does he want? I’m not complaining. But I don’t think we know anything yet.” So we’ll find out which side of the bed he sleeps on, and who with? “All that stuff. His favourite ice-cream flavour. What his peccadilloes are.” The camera might be off but you can sense the twinkle in his eye."

So are you overall content with Marvels attempts or do you think there are things that they could have done better? What more would you like to see in the future?
    I feel like the MCU would do better with diverse characters because they aren't stagnant. Unlike the comics, the MCU can move forward so the diverse characters wouldn't have to be stuck as understudies.

I'm hoping Riri gets a better first impression than CW2. I haven't seen Wakanda forever yet.

The new iron fist is a bit weak as a character but I never clicked with Danny. So I'm hoping the new guy gets a better showing.

Shang-Chi actor Simu Liu wrote a tv pitch for Sunfire that I'm hoping gets made one day. I'm hoping the X-men does more with its diverse characters this time around. Bishop, Darwin and Storm were all wasted in the Fox movies.

I'm hoping Goliath gets more of a showcase. Laurence Fishburne is too good an actor to waste in a bit role. Plus Goliath had a nephew that took over the mantle so that fits the legacy theme phase 4 has.

https://www.deviantart.com/lucasbolt...2015-544091484

I'm hoping Miles gets to team up with America Chavez and Franklin and Valeria Richards like this fanart.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-04-2023 at 12:45 PM.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I don't think you can criticize a popularity contest for not being diverse enough. Sure, screentime and limelight certainly help with a popularity contest, but you can't change people's minds? I think you just have to give them more time. All the mainstay characters like Iron Man and Cap are having their end days, leaving room for more diverse characters to take the forefront. I understand people have been waiting a long time, but outside of race-bending popular characters (which is still controversial in most cases) I don't see an easy solution.

The screentime chart gets screwy when you start comparing characters with TV shows to movie characters, sure they have MORE screen time, but the Disney+ stuff isn't going to be as popular as the movies. It feels like bad data.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I don't think you can criticize a popularity contest for not being diverse enough. Sure, screentime and limelight certainly help with a popularity contest, but you can't change people's minds? I think you just have to give them more time. All the mainstay characters like Iron Man and Cap are having their end days, leaving room for more diverse characters to take the forefront. I understand people have been waiting a long time, but outside of race-bending popular characters (which is still controversial in most cases) I don't see an easy solution.

The screentime chart gets screwy when you start comparing characters with TV shows to movie characters, sure they have MORE screen time, but the Disney+ stuff isn't going to be as popular as the movies. It feels like bad data.
    Easy solution- It's called a mini series on ABC and not just Disney Plus where only a select folks can see it.

Movie side of Disney can not stop the toxic side of comics from being barriers.

Wonder World Of Disney Presents on Saturdays on ABC or Disney Channel can do decent budget movies on certain characters.

Right now should not be about flooding movies with cameos.

It should be about how many characters we can present in decent funded projects.

A Blue Marvel 13 episode animated series will be fine for me.

Eli Bradley in high school during the day and Patriot at night should not cost that much for a 13 episode season.

I know Asylum Films is cheap but are we REALLY thinking about quality with say the Great Lake Avengers?

Extraordinary Member

It's cute how some believe it's just about numbers. Adorable, as a matter of fact.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post

The Blacks? Is that how you describe us on a regular?

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post

Yeah, Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight's airtimes are disproportionately high considering they both only debuted last year! Taking the TV shows into account is like comparing apples and oranges.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    The Blacks? Is that how you describe us on a regular?
    Probably uses the ever so charming expression "those people" on the reg, too.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Probably uses the ever so charming expression "those people" on the reg, too.
    It’s funny coming from someone with the username Captain America too…

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    It’s funny coming from someone with the username Captain America too…
    I mean, his avatar is the most xenophobic version of the character, so maybe not that surprising.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, his avatar is the most xenophobic version of the character, so maybe not that surprising.
    Hmm. How… quaint. That makes it double funny now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Easy solution- It's called a mini series on ABC and not just Disney Plus where only a select folks can see it.
    If ABC counts, thanks to Agents of SHIELD, POC like Melinda May and 'Mack' Mackenzie probably have a ton of screentime.

umm not sure how Latinos and "the blacks" that are born and live in the US doesn't count as the Americans but whatever.