Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I mean the user already said they aren't American and unfortunately using "blacks" to describe black people is normal in certain countries.

The situation could've been resolved by explaining that the politically correct term to use was "African-descent" to avoid controversy.
    Yeah but they also have been so bothered by diversity that they pulled out full stat sheets, so I'm not buying that.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Negro is actually considered racist too. I don't think you did anything wrong saying black.

Yeah, Jamaica isn't in Africa. You're a black American, but not an African American. That term is outdated, honestly, as it assumes all blacks are African. Just say black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I mean the user already said they aren't American and unfortunately using "blacks" to describe black people is normal in certain countries.

The situation could've been resolved by explaining that the politically correct term to use was "African-descent" to avoid controversy.
    I agree with all of this but context is important.

African-descent is a far more appropriate term especially when the poster went out of their way to cite population statistics. That's not even taking into account the massive number of mixed-race, multiracial people that were hitherto simply classified as black when the situation is somewhat more complicated.

Now, I am not saying that calling black people- black people is racist but the poster did seem to suggest that it was "the blacks" that were agitating for greater diversity and that what little they have isn't enough for them (and they should look out for diversity from foreign media). That would suggest their usage of the term "the blacks" isn't just due to cultural differences.

I don't even know why you're bothering to engage with posters who are being purposefully obtuse at best and gaslighting at worst. These conversations always bring out peoples' true colors, no pun intended. Beware of anyone who frames expanded diversity and inclusivity in a historically STRAIGHT WHITE BOYS ONLY medium as a bad thing, or "gone too far."

Again, Clark Doll Study. Globalized white supremacy. Media literacy. Stereotyping. Do the research before you come in here running your mouth at people who actually know better.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    Say you don't even understand what diversity means as you ridicule someone different than you.
    I understand what it means. I also understand that people who ridicule people for wanting more diversity generally aren't the biggest fans of it for reasons they'd rather not say out loud.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah but they also have been so bothered by diversity that they pulled out full stat sheets, so I'm not buying that.
    Fair enough.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Do you really think they're not? Have you ever stepped foot in a country shaped or otherwise influenced by European colonization? Do you have any idea the stranglehold white supremacist ideology has on places like the Caribbean, Latin America, and Southeast Asia? Not to mention the obviousness of its stranglehold on US culture, the most globalized and heavily exported culture on Earth. Go outside. Practice media literacy. I know ignorance is bliss, but jeeze. There's a whole world out there.
    Considering I am from a Caribbean island, I can safely say this is nonsense.
    "Cable was right!"

It doesn't seem you can safely say much. Go ask a Dominican what mejorar la raza means.

BANNED

Yes, it is 100% Americanized. So your family isn't even from America. What social culture has shaped you the most? Probably American.

Yes, it is 100% Americanized. So your family isn't even from America. What social culture has shaped you the most? Probably American.
    Multi-cultural and none of it had to do with pulling out stat sheets because of being bothered by diversity.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

It doesn't seem you can safely say much. Go ask a Dominican what mejorar la raza means.
    The people in Dominican Republic have different issues than Trinidad and Tobago?

Damn, I'm shocked.
    "Cable was right!"

Did you or did you not position yourself as an authority on Caribbean cultural dynamics re: race relations only to be immediately proven wrong? Maybe spend more time in this thread reading instead of responding, dear.

Did you or did you not position yourself as an authority on Caribbean cultural dynamics re: race relations only to be immediately proven wrong? Maybe spend more time in this thread reading instead of responding, dear.
    Pretty sure you're the one who did that by implying regions with a past of European colonization still practice "white supremacist ideology". I was just saying that the island I grew up on partake in no such practices like that example of the persuasion to breed with lighter skin individuals. It's not my fault you treated the Caribbean like it's one eco-system like in the States.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    So are you overall content with Marvels attempts or do you think there are things that they could have done better? What more would you like to see in the future?
    IMO I think Marvel did the right steps in the beginning of their MCU. The company went with their popular IPs available at the time. If it made people happier maybe they should have done more race/gender/sexuality swapping. It's not too late to overhaul all of the characters created in the 60s and 70s that lasted up till now.

Ah, and there it is. So according to you, and a couple others deciding to clap each other on the back, all foreign cultures need to adhere to the American use of racial phraseology, or be ridiculed as an assumed racist. We all must be the same...for diversity's sake. I swear you all don't even hear yourselves.
    No genius. The point is, without knowing what their nationality is means they aren't critiquing that nationality. They're criticizing the words used. Once the poster clarified nobody "clapped back." But continue to be disingenuous.

Extraordinary Member

I seriously want to see Marvel have more diversity in their movies...but not by sacrificing traditionally white/male characters. Just introduce the traditionally diverse characters as th3ey appeared int the comics.

Look how badly they mangled Taskmaster in Black Widow. Marvel could have used any number of female villains to fight against Natasha and her family. Give us a more accurate TM for the movie and also bring in someone like Snapdragon who in the comics beat Natasha in their first fight.

Also they are talking about Jenna Ortega for White Tiger, Ava Ayala, in DD:BA...but I have not heard anything about the original White Tiger, Hector Ayala, who was her Ava's older brother? Why not start with Marvel's first Hispanic super hero and then hand off to her as a successor?
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?